Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

square spring rates vs "traditional" stagger

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Yeah, cause top racing teams ignore the math and just wing it...

Embrace the math, trust the numbers, let it get you close instead of letting your butt lie to you.
not at all am I saying ignore the math. but be sure to verify using real world testing, and I don't mean test using the "butt dyno." collect data, lap times, temps, traqmate, and see if your math is really making a positive change.
Old May 8, 2014, 09:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
^^ True.dat. The "numbers" don't take into account things like effects of tire spring rate, roll centers, chassis stiffness, bushing deflection, sticktion, etc.. Im just advocating using the math to get in the ball park at least and then deviate but deviate with an idea of how it should impact the balance or grip of an end.

On a side note, I don't believe in small changes unless you are certain of the result. For instance, small shock changes are usually meaningless and impossible to feel. But if you run 10k/10k springs and know that balance works but need just a little more, then 11k/11k might just work out.
Old May 8, 2014, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah i agree whole heartedly with your approach. cars in storage right now at my parents house until next track outing next month. i will try to get it weighed when early next month so i can start trying some math.

in the mean time i might pick up a set of 11k springs...however im concerned it might be a huge change to the front and screw me over. then the question will be if i go back to stock bars...
Old May 8, 2014, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
why would you go back to stock bars?
Old May 8, 2014, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru

^ . I don't know what Grice runs, but I have pretty big bars front rear.
Old May 8, 2014, 04:01 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I find it interesting that Ralliart suggests a large front bar for tarmac use.

Old May 8, 2014, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
why would you go back to stock bars?
I thought that eventually it became better to control the roll with springs and less bar? something about it can help keep tires in contact with the ground? but again its very possible i completely misunderstood all of that.
Old May 19, 2014, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It's been said to "follow the math" but what math specifically?

"Conventional wisdom" such as Milliken suggest to pick spring rate based on natural frequency and then use the sways and geometry to correct the handling balance. The target by his metrics is a frequency of ~2.0 Hz in the front on a non-aero car with the back 0.1 to 0.2Hz higher for bump stability.

Math could also lead you down the road of roll stiffness calculations. In this realm, you can completely balance weight transfer without sways at all. The natural frequencies will be all screwed up though.

Finally, math can also take you down the road of forced based reaction calculations. The most accurate as it accounts for geometry changes durning Corning loads but it's also very time consuming to build up correct models and simulations.

In the world of conventional wisdom, square spring rates front and rear are the correct method. 10kg f/r puts you around 2.4/2.6Hz on a 3000 lb 60% front biased Evo.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; May 19, 2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old May 19, 2014, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Also it is important to realize what kind of racing is being done when you evaluate other people's advise.

Most guys running high rates in the rear are autocrossing. Generally speaking, the Evo is a pig at low speeds. High rear rates make the car pretty twitchy in the rear and throttle/brakes upset traction in the back before the front this way. It makes the Evo so you can throttle steer and trail brake it through a tight corner.

"Twitchy" probably isn't how you want to describe the ideal setup on a road course car that regularly sees corners at 80+mph.
Old May 19, 2014, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
"Twitchy" probably isn't how you want to describe the ideal setup on a road course car that regularly sees corners at 80+mph.
you're absolutely right, i like the balance of my car now as the rear is never an issue.

gonna try to run some numbers this week when i have some time and see what i come up with for a basically stock weight car.
Old May 19, 2014, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

"Conventional wisdom" such as Milliken suggest to pick spring rate based on natural frequency and then use the sways and geometry to correct the handling balance. The target by his metrics is a frequency of ~2.0 Hz in the front on a non-aero car with the back 0.1 to 0.2Hz higher for bump stability.

Math could also lead you down the road of roll stiffness calculations. In this realm, you can completely balance weight transfer without sways at all. The natural frequencies will be all screwed up though.
Yes, these are the two things I follow. We run in the 2.6-2.7 front and 2.8-2.9hz rear range with an additional 30% front stiffness and 35-40% due to sway bars. Is this the best way? I dunno, but when I try other things I get slower or end up with a twitchy car that's harder to drive. It could probably use more grip steady state up front but thats an Evo issue in general with the 65% front weight we carry.

For an interesting bandaid to what I though was going to be torrential rain this Sunday, I ran a 26mm front bar at full soft (around 70% original stiffness with cusco brackets) and no rear bar on 255 ZII's since I don't have a set of rain race tires.

Conventional wisdom says this will push like a pig but surprisingly it didnt do too bad. I didn't have mid corner rotation or any lift rotation if I needed for tight sections but front grip was actually pretty decent. Still had plenty of throttle rotation and I might say it was faster through a slalom than I expected.
Old May 19, 2014, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the more of the math approach I've taken the more I've realized math alone only gets you a subset of possible solutions to any given problem.

For example, math can give you a line of sway bar vs spring stiffness to reach a desired roll stiffness. The problem then becomes, which ratio is actually the fastest.

Then you look at how changes to roll height changes this subset...

Experience is probably more important than math here. That's hard for me to say but I think it's the truth. I've been messing with this stuff on another car anyway and I still have yet to really sort the car out. I went straight math for the baseline and it didn't work well at all...

Last edited by 03whitegsr; May 19, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These links from Works seem to do a decent job explaining the math
http://www.worksevo.com/technical.php
Old May 19, 2014, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
you follow the math to happy tires.

on an evo that usually means managing camber control with high roll stiffness, particularly when it has a short sidewall tire on it.

to me, square spring rates are compensating for inadequate rear camber.

Last edited by griceiv; May 19, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old May 19, 2014, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
but be sure to verify using real world testing, and I don't mean test using the "butt dyno."

Originally Posted by golgo13
I find it interesting that Ralliart suggests a large front bar for tarmac use.

I would guess due to the imperfect roads on your average tarmac rally, they might want more of their roll resistance from the bars and less from springs?

Quick Reply: square spring rates vs "traditional" stagger