Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone using different springs/ or shocks and racing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using different springs/ or shocks and racing?

curious if anyone has changed springs, or shocks, and I wondering if it has improved handling?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

RRE/JIC follow the link unbelevable handling on the roadcourse.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm
Old Mar 9, 2004, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

ya I just read abot those. I'm guessing is jst the jic flat-2 with custom spring rates>???
Old Mar 9, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CarFanatic
ya I just read abot those. I'm guessing is jst the jic flat-2 with custom spring rates>???
There are several options but JIC customization is the most cost effective one.

We customize the JICs as well and recommend them for higher end applications primarily because it is relatively easier to work with JIC in customizing the units and they have a quick turn around.

Tein coilovers are listed with +/- 112 lbs/in. spring ranges from stock. However, I would not go beyond 50 lbs/in. So, if you get a Tein for example, with 8/7 springs, you can varry the spring rates 1 kg/mm up and down front and rear if you'd like. however, they won't do that during ordering, you have to order another set of springs and install them yourself

Cusco units can be ordered with custom springs, but there are no indications that they also modify the shock valving to new spring rates if they are out of range of the stock setup.

I am not familiar how this works with HKS frankly.

However, another option is also to purchase shocks from Ground Control or Koni, or Ohlin and get springs from Eibach at the rates you like. And then ask for a custom coilover strut built around the shocks from a local race shop. That way you can have a very custom setup, but obviously the costs increase noticeably.

Hence, for the money, IMHO, JIC stays as the most cost-effective custom solution out there; even though their prices went up this year and they don't have any Evo units in stock until probably early May.