Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Driving COTA!!!! What's the EVO LAP TIME SO FAR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Driving COTA!!!! What's the EVO LAP TIME SO FAR?

Bucket list for me! I get to drive my EVO at COTA. Very excited. Anyone got vid of racing EVO on COTA? Any tips?

I was able to drive Road America some years ago which started my desire to drive several circuits in America. Centered in Oklahoma, most famous tracks are far away.

What are bucket list tracks for you guys?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
You can drive COTA on iracing, so that might be a good place to check it out. Also, the IMSA/Tudor race was just there and there is a lot of video from that event on YouTube, though you probably will be in slow motion compared to those guys.

I'd like to drive on Laguna Seca and experience the corkscrew!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being in NorCal and close to Laguna is so cool. I try and get out there as often as I can. Such a fun track. Have fun on COTA, I am sure it will be a blast.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by grazzo77
Being in NorCal and close to Laguna is so cool. I try and get out there as often as I can. Such a fun track. Have fun on COTA, I am sure it will be a blast.

Lucky you! I may have to move down there for work so maybe I'll get to do Laguna Seca.

OT, for the US for me the bucket list is COTA and Laguna Seca. Internationally of course I'd love to do the ring and all the other F1 tracks
Old Nov 8, 2014, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Good tips on YouTube. Laguna is everyones bucket list I think. Certainly been on my list for a long time. Porsche RennSport is there next year and I might attend that. Someone reminded me Xbox F1 has COTA on it. There is some good footage of COTA on YouTube.

Roat Atlanta, Infineon Raceway, Watkins Glen, Virginia International Raceway are among my other top bucket list tracks.

Completed:
Road America, Texas World Speedway, Texas Motorspeedway, Hallett Motor Speedway, Heartland Park, Motorsports Ranch Cresson Texas, Motorsports Ranch Houston Texas, Eagles Canyon Texas.

I may have to hook up with you all at Laguna next year. AWESOME!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Driving COTA!!!!  What's the EVO LAP TIME SO FAR?-hallett.jpg   Driving COTA!!!!  What's the EVO LAP TIME SO FAR?-evo-side.jpg   Driving COTA!!!!  What's the EVO LAP TIME SO FAR?-auto-x.jpg   Driving COTA!!!!  What's the EVO LAP TIME SO FAR?-evo-interior.jpg  
Old Nov 8, 2014, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
COTA, Road America, Miller Motorsports Park. But I'm already very spoiled with regular visits to Thunder Hill and Sonoma (Infineon) and the occasional long drive to Laguna Seca. Miller might be doable but I'll have to take a serious road trip for the others.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lets put it this way even in a stock evo your bravery will be highly rewarded... it can be extremely fast if you are smooth.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Definitely best simulator experience would be through iRacing, worth it's weight in gold for getting familiar with tracks you might be visiting. While iRacing doesn't replace seat time, I found that I could get up to competition speed very quickly after learning the track in the simulator first. Helped me a ton for Sebring last year, was able to get within 2 seconds of my fastest time of the weekend by the 3rd lap.

Some day I'll try and visit the west coast for the big tracks but for now I'm content having about 15 tracks under my belt, I guess with Watkins Glen right here only 90 minutes away I get spoiled.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
I hope you run with an Advanced group. The Intermediate group I went out with sucked, we got slow trains all over the place
Old Nov 29, 2014, 07:17 AM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Heh, I took my Lancer out there, but something tells me it's a lot slower. 3 minute laptimes yo!

I think one of the guys behind Edge Addicts (trackday group who runs a lot out there) has an Evo X. I'll have to see if he's posted videos anywhere.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The woman speaks the truth.... she has more track time than most of us here.

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
Heh, I took my Lancer out there, but something tells me it's a lot slower. 3 minute laptimes yo!

I think one of the guys behind Edge Addicts (trackday group who runs a lot out there) has an Evo X. I'll have to see if he's posted videos anywhere.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 03:24 PM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralliart004
The woman speaks the truth.... she has more track time than most of us here.
Probably not. I just end up writing about mine more!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I drove my evo on COTA last weekend. It was almost impossible to get any decent amount of clean laps due to traffic, but i was able to get a 2:38.9. There's an easy 2:37 in me, i just needed a cleaner lap.

I drove cota on iracing and i can say its actually very different. In iracing, there's significantly less traction on turn 6, and in real life it couldn't be more opposite from reality. There's plenty of traction on T6, and there's even more traction on t10 & t9 than what iracing would lead you to believe. Otherwise it's identical.

Last edited by hispanicpanic; Dec 9, 2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Cool news and great to hear other EVO's at COTA. I have been saying I was the first EVO at COTA.

Blank on name, but the guy who works Drivers Edge has EVO X.

I got put in top advanced group. Asked for lower group, but sounds like I need to stay in highest group. They said other groups full. Here our my arrival pics.
Attached Thumbnails Driving COTA!!!!  What's the EVO LAP TIME SO FAR?-image.jpg  
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please capture some gopro in car footage!

Quick Reply: Driving COTA!!!! What's the EVO LAP TIME SO FAR?