Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

tial QR vs. synapse vs anything else?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ive been very happy with my qr on and off the track. jut make sure you get the right spring (in my case white)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
My vote goes to Turbosmart Race Port. I originally had a Tial Q (I'm on speed density with aftermarket cams) and it had a lot of flutter. Switched out the original spring to the white spring and the flutter was still there. I then switched to a Turbosmart Race Port with softer springs and the flutter is no longer there. It's just a loud *whoosh* between shifts. To be fair, I could have tried using the softer black spring on the Q but I just wanted something new and shiny to feel like I accomplished something under the hood.

Last edited by Klaiceps; Dec 29, 2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
TiAL Q here, no flutter/bucking with stock turbo while it was on the car and no flutter/bucking now on the SS FP Red. I am on SD, 272 cams, and run with the black spring.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I have the tial QRJ, with the springs for "turbo cars" (as opposed to supercharged), and it sucks, terrible fluttering with part throttle work. I have a synapse DV waiting to go on.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I switched from stock crushed to synapse dv with the lighter spring, port B to post TB, and port A open to ATM. This completely fixed any lift surge at autoX and driving on the street. AutoX cars are particularly sensitive to this with running part throttle at high rpm in 2nd gear and this completely eliminated it on course. The only place I can get a slight flutter, if I really try, is in 5th at a real low rpm loading the turbo and slowly lifting.

I also pressure tested it to well over 30 psi and of course it didn't leak because the area of port B is larger than the inlet on the pressure side of the valve.

MrFred also switched from the Tial to the synapse after having horrible lift surge. He said it about 80-90% fixed it for him as well.
The following users liked this post:
hokiruu (Apr 27, 2017)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
So heres my dilema. I still have the stock piping and BOV. I've put in the Magnus V5 IM, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it to work with the stock piping. With that, I need a BOV that will recirc, in combination with an old FP Green, until I do a 8374, stand alone, and VTA. Can I do this with a Turbosmart? I would ultimately like to end up with the Raceport, but don't want to have to worry about swapping the flange on the new ETS hard pipe.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I switched from stock crushed to synapse dv with the lighter spring, port B to post TB, and port A open to ATM. This completely fixed any lift surge at autoX and driving on the street. AutoX cars are particularly sensitive to this with running part throttle at high rpm in 2nd gear and this completely eliminated it on course. The only place I can get a slight flutter, if I really try, is in 5th at a real low rpm loading the turbo and slowly lifting.

I also pressure tested it to well over 30 psi and of course it didn't leak because the area of port B is larger than the inlet on the pressure side of the valve.

MrFred also switched from the Tial to the synapse after having horrible lift surge. He said it about 80-90% fixed it for him as well.
I am interested in trying one for my 71HTA on E85. I don't think the crushed stock IX I was running on stock 8 9.8 on E85 will hold because it felt like it was leaking on that setup.

Is this the spring you were referring to?

http://synapseengineering.com/produc...soft.html#next
Old Apr 27, 2017, 05:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Its been a while but it might be. Though I can no longer recommend Synapse and I think they might be going out of business? My friends Synapse fell victim to a poor casting and cracked the flange mount tabs off. He was on the dyno and flipped it over just to get the pulls done and the other side immediately broke off.

He sent it back to synapse as it wasn't very old at all. This was like a year or more ago and they earlier were telling him ~2weeks every time and now just not answering or responding to emails at all.

While I still absolutely love the way mine performs, I'd hate for someone else to fall into the same circumstance on my recommendation.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Its been a while but it might be. Though I can no longer recommend Synapse and I think they might be going out of business? My friends Synapse fell victim to a poor casting and cracked the flange mount tabs off. He was on the dyno and flipped it over just to get the pulls done and the other side immediately broke off.

He sent it back to synapse as it wasn't very old at all. This was like a year or more ago and they earlier were telling him ~2weeks every time and now just not answering or responding to emails at all.

While I still absolutely love the way mine performs, I'd hate for someone else to fall into the same circumstance on my recommendation.
Thank you for this fast helpful reply. That's disappointing. I was skeptical of Synapse at first but their design makes sense. I guess I will try another DV. The goals of ability to hold high boost, good drivability, recirculated, not over-the-top looking (CA smog/cops) is tough to meet. I wonder is its possible to switch a slightly stiffer spring in the IX DV somehow. Sounds dumb, I know
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:03 PM
EvoM Guru

I really dont know what works equivalently but I'll certainly keep the Synapse and hope I dont have any similar issues. What I like about the synapse is the pressure area of the holding side is greater than the venting side. So no matter the boost, the holding side is pushing harder.

Driveability on track is great so its sad that they haven't been responsive to failures.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Turbosmart Raceport, done deal
Old Apr 29, 2017, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by xBoostx
My next BOV for sure!
Old May 1, 2017, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Looks like a good VTA BOV but unfortunately it can't be recirculated so it doesn't seem as beneficial an option if you are still running a MAF and want faster response without running rich during shifts.
Old May 1, 2017, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
My Tial QRJ works well on my 24psi track tune. Gets fluttery and meh on the kill tune, not quite as useable for track. Been looking into other ones, but too laxy to change because it works fine ont he track tune...lol
Old May 8, 2017, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Question for those that have the synapse. I put on on my car a few months back and have been dinking around in the car. I finally had some time to do a boost leak test as Im planning on doing some tuning this week after work. Well, low and behold my BLT revealed that the thing is pissing out air right at the flange. Knowing people had stripped out those bolts I didnt want to crank it down but when I put in the allen key I noticed that is was kinda loose already. So turned it some and sure enough it stripped out.

I tried drilling it out and going up a size which sorta worked however there is still leaking issues as I cant tighten it enough and shockingly while trying to get it to not loose any more air I stripped out the other side. As noted from others the sand cast is very poor and being cast AL its very weak.

But then it got me thinking and this is where I think I may have went wrong. Is there some sort of o ring to seal at the flange as my kit evo specific fitment BNIB didnt come with any o rings. If it does then that is obviously why it was leaking. So now I need to try and get in contact with Synapse which seems like itll be a lost cause. Given that I might be out the $250 I purchased it for but hoping Ill have some stroke of luck.

So if anyone can confirm that there is indeed a o ring, well technically 2 one for each flange then that would be helpful for starters so I know what Im dealing with here. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: tial QR vs. synapse vs anything else?