Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone here experiment with initial torque or disabled discs on their LSDs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Anyone here experiment with initial torque or disabled discs on their LSDs?

I've been doing some reading on LSDs and how their initial torque affects their driving characteristics and behavior. One great example is this - http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...co-RS-LSD.aspx

I have a 1993 Evo 1 RS that I autocross and want to start lapping with. Recently I acquired an Evo X Ralliart Super Traction rear LSD (yes, I'm pretty sure it works in my car), it's a 20-plate unit vs. my original 10-plate (it's like the E8/9 but all of the plates are active and it's 2-way vs 1.5), and I'm guessing it really changes dynamics. I also have a Ralliart front LSD and Cusco MZ front LSD to choose from, both with very different characteristics; I believe the front diff's initial torque settings will be the most important. I also got my hands on an Adelia Magic mechanical center coupling, but its settings are anyone's guess.

That being said, has anyone experimented with initial torque on their clutch-type LSDs (either front, rear or center) to match a specific tire/condition, or disabling clutch discs to prevent power-on oversteer? If so, what happened?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
i don't think you're going to like a 2 way for stuff on the pavement...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
My stock diff is 2-way, the Ralliart rear is 2-way or 1.8-way switchable (I'm running it in 1.8). Just curious about plate stacking.