Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Auto-X newbie here. Need help with confirming SCCA class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amn_suazo
Not saying it's the widest but a common set up for us is the 17x9.5 +38 with +20mm spacers and arp studs in the front. Will eventually move up to 18's but it's all about seat time for me and tires are cheaper for 17's
Yeah I'm leaning towards for the first couple of years sticking with 17" RPF1s and 255s. Then save up the money to buy a real nice set of wide width lightweight forged 18" wheels. In the meantime I'll keep my eye on the forums for used volks.

The 17" RFP1s are a usable wheel, I'm sure I can think of something to use them for, so I don't see it as a total loss buying those and then buying another set of wheels later on.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 09:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostNY
Yeah I'm leaning towards for the first couple of years sticking with 17" RPF1s and 255s. Then save up the money to buy a real nice set of wide width lightweight forged 18" wheels. In the meantime I'll keep my eye on the forums for used volks.

The 17" RFP1s are a usable wheel, I'm sure I can think of something to use them for, so I don't see it as a total loss buying those and then buying another set of wheels later on.
Have you looked at the weights of the RPF-1s vs the other wheels you're looking at? They're really light. My 18x10 RPF-1s are 18.45 lbs each. It's hard to find something lighter with the right offset that isn't 3X the price. Good wheels.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Have you looked at the weights of the RPF-1s vs the other wheels you're looking at? They're really light. My 18x10 RPF-1s are 18.45 lbs each. It's hard to find something lighter with the right offset that isn't 3X the price. Good wheels.
I did not realize they were that light. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
I just bought some 18x10 wheels which are rotary forged (different than forged monoblock but still stronger than the cast RPF1's), weigh 19.2 pounds each, they have a spoke profile which will clear the Brembos without a spacer, and I was able to specify custom offsets and color. And, brand new, they cost me the same price as RPF1's.

I was also looking for 18x10 Volks and almost jumped on the 18x10 +39 ZE40's which were for sale recently until I found they weigh the same as the ones I just bought, meanwhile the Volks cost twice as much. So I've found pretty much only CE28's and G25's weigh less, but it's hard to find any 18x10 wheel which has the right bolt pattern and center bore, but doesn't have aggressive offsets.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BriK
I just bought some 18x10 wheels which are rotary forged (different than forged monoblock but still stronger than the cast RPF1's), weigh 19.2 pounds each, they have a spoke profile which will clear the Brembos without a spacer, and I was able to specify custom offsets and color. And, brand new, they cost me the same price as RPF1's
Sounds intriguing. What manufacturer was this?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd guess Forgestar
Old Feb 17, 2016, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
I'd guess Forgestar
Correct, Forgestar F14's.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah the ZE40s are definitely heavier than the TE37, CE28, and RE30. I just got them because they're the lightest off the shelf wheel available in the width I needed.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

My finances aren't as rosy at the moment than I thought was going to be the case 1-2 months ago so I'm going to go with 255mm Rival S's on 17" diameter wheels. Just not sure on wheel width. Is 9 or 9.5 a better width for 255mm? But I've decided to forgo any permanent modifications to the wheel well area to get wider tires in there. (At least at this time for this season and the foreseeable future) So if I have to go with 8.5 so that I won't need to roll the fenders - then I'll go that route.

I realize I'll be a disadvantage when going against the top talent in SM but that exists as a talking point on these forums, in reality that doesn't matter because of my relative skill to the top guys. Tire width is not what's going to keep me multiple seconds behind first place. haha

Thanks for the help guys. April 17th will be here before we know it!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
double post?

Last edited by SS RX7 r2; Mar 9, 2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoostNY
My finances aren't as rosy at the moment than I thought was going to be the case 1-2 months ago so I'm going to go with 255mm Rival S's on 17" diameter wheels. Just not sure on wheel width. Is 9 or 9.5 a better width for 255mm? But I've decided to forgo any permanent modifications to the wheel well area to get wider tires in there. (At least at this time for this season and the foreseeable future) So if I have to go with 8.5 so that I won't need to roll the fenders - then I'll go that route.

I realize I'll be a disadvantage when going against the top talent in SM but that exists as a talking point on these forums, in reality that doesn't matter because of my relative skill to the top guys. Tire width is not what's going to keep me multiple seconds behind first place. haha

Thanks for the help guys. April 17th will be here before we know it!
As others suggested, I'd still get the 18s. Even most of the STU evo guys are moving to 265s on non-flared fenders. Then you have the option to move up from 255s to 275-285s later. Can get some XXRs or Rotas if on a budget, weight is not as important as tire size. Also you may want to get longer lasting tires like ZIIs or Hankooks. As a novice driver on soft springs, with high power, you may burn though $1,000 of Rival S or RE71R in a few events.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
As others suggested, I'd still get the 18s. Even most of the STU evo guys are moving to 265s on non-flared fenders. Then you have the option to move up from 255s to 275-285s later. Can get some XXRs or Rotas if on a budget, weight is not as important as tire size. Also you may want to get longer lasting tires like ZIIs or Hankooks. As a novice driver on soft springs, with high power, you may burn though $1,000 of Rival S or RE71R in a few events.
Thanks for the advice. I was under the impression you can't really get any street tire wider than 255s on either 17s or 18s without having to make irreversible changes to the fender area. I need to read up more on this subject. Still too ignorant on this subject.

The tire brand/longevity suggestion makes a lot of sense.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

This was posted in Dallas J's 2016 SM thread - but figure I'd post it here as well for those who stumble across this thread.

I was not aware that in SM you are allowed to run DOT legal street tires (hoosiers, R1S, etc) and not just the 200AA tread wear rated street tires. Still haven't made my final wheel/tire decision but that's another piece of info to consider.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

If you're new, you learn much more from street tires than you will from DOT race tires.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 07:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I would also suggest street tires then Kumho V710s then Hoosiers A7s. Street tires are great cause they talk to you when you still haven't quite developed the feel. Not making any noise? You're going too slow. Howling? Too fast. Intermittent squawking? Hey, you're in the zone!

Back when I switched from Kumho to Hoosiers there was another big loss in feel. Hoosiers felt almost sponge-like compared to the ultra rigid sidewall of the Kumho.

Quick Reply: Auto-X newbie here. Need help with confirming SCCA class