Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone running AP Pro Radi Cal brakes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xBoostx
...If we run a 370+ mm rotor we can come down on the pads abit. Problem is we'll need 19" wheels. Look at ALL the fast factory cars. 19-20" wheels, massive rotors.

I believe Brembo has a GT kit which comes with a 370mm rotor and a 4 piston rear. But $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$
So you see, logic wins in the end. If you say we'll need elephant snot to lower our lap times you better be ready to defend why and accept a normal amount of argument from others who may have already tried it and are looking to save you time. You've yet to tell us anything else in or about a new braking systems other then uber large rotors. I'm headed back to the scca majors where real systems and the market for them exist and i'll photo if I see someone on 19's, but I know I won't. Otherwise start a new thread for a street system and a 19" requirement and we'll be happy to discuss there.
You conveniently left out the IF. Your logic isnt working.

If
introducing a conditional clause.
synonyms: on (the) condition that, provided (that), providing (that), presuming (that), supposing (that), assuming (that), as long as, given that, in the event that

Gotta read the whole paragraph, shouldnt just pick out one sentence someone else wrote and rant about it. You must comprehend the whole paragraph as a unit.

So since I said IF, that means i gave an example. I never said thats what needs to be done, but would have to be done to run a big rotor, which we would all agree isnt ideal for tire sizing and money. But its what needed on a heavy powerful street car. Point blank.

You run around here with blinders cause you have a race car. Not everyone here has a car that isnt streetable. So my "logic" and the way I think about things isnt one dimensional.

Let me elaborate that a bit more. I have a fast street car, I dont run slicks, my car is full interior, there a quite a few people here and there in my same scenraio. We have different ways of viewing things, which is what makes the auto industry and the world what it is. We are talking about brakes, I just mentioned another option. Cry me a river.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Your effort is just further proving our point.

Anyways back on topic. Email sent to another UK outfit to see what fruit that bears. I'd be happy with a 6/355 front and the existing 4/325 in the rear so we'll see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (May 25, 2017)
Old Mar 12, 2017, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Your effort is just further proving our point.

Anyways back on topic. Email sent to another UK outfit to see what fruit that bears. I'd be happy with a 6/355 front and the existing 4/325 in the rear so we'll see what happens.
Remove the blinders man.

There was some who posted a member here who makes titanium parts who said they can do it. Pix of the cad drawing, contact him.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Remove the blinders man.

There was some who posted a member here who makes titanium parts who said they can do it. Pix of the cad drawing, contact him.
*sigh* He's in the works as well by said member but sounds a little sketch to me for something we're going to drop 6k+ on so we're putting feelers out there as many places as possible and see who comes up with what.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
*sigh* He's in the works as well by said member but sounds a little sketch to me for something we're going to drop 6k+ on so we're putting feelers out there as many places as possible and see who comes up with what.
I agree, he may be good or may not be. Maybe hes local to someone on this forum?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Has anyone considered the new Brembo GT-S brakes? Supposed to be out coming out shortly, only $100.00 more that “GT”. Hard Anodized Caliper Body, with SS Piston Inserts for better heat rejection:

http://www.brembo.com/en/company/new...-brembo-brakes

Driv200 (May 25, 2017)
Old Mar 21, 2017, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Oh wow, i wasnt aware. Good post man. I w look into.

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Has anyone considered the new Brembo GT-S brakes? Supposed to be out coming out shortly, only $100.00 more that “GT”. Hard Anodized Caliper Body, with SS Piston Inserts for better heat rejection:

http://www.brembo.com/en/company/new...-brembo-brakes

https://youtu.be/VQdAnQ8GZlA

Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
So who's got a radial mount caliper body for me to mock up fit to a set of billet uprights? I just happen to have 2 extra blocks for the uprights and could certainly change the brake mounting features.

I stopped reading this thread when people started arguing, but is there a lighter/stiffer radial mount option we could be looking at if we had the mounting means?
Driv200 (May 25, 2017)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

The existing AP8350 ones are ideal for that but unfort mine are on the car for the time being. Let me see if Jeff will let one go cheap.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Do you guys not like Wilwood stuff? Seems like a good alternative if we're building custom ****. I have their forged superlites on my offroad car, no complaints.
Driv200 (May 25, 2017)
Old Apr 1, 2017, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd choose this caliper as this one is more stiff than cast body... and piston radiator option is better to replace with titanium piston or insert. No integrated dust boot option,but no sense for timeattack car as well. THis body is hard anodized.
Driv200 (May 25, 2017)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 08:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Hey Lads.

I have the AP pro 5000 6pot kit on my evo 7 race car.

And AP Racing 362mm rotors.

I went for the caliper that will take a 25mm endurance pad for a bit better cooling and economy also.

I had to have custom 3d scanned hats and adapter brackets made up for the calipers but all worked out mint! the brakes are pretty damn amazing. huge improvement over the brembo 4pot.

Biggest issue i was having was that the brakes would literally overheat and glow red hot after 2 laps. i would boil fluid and destroy a set of discs and pads in 1 race if pushing hard enough.

The only issue i had going to this caliper and disc is that when combined with slicks it made the ABS system go nuts. on a warm up lap the lack of grip from a cold slick + the massive braking power up front compared to the stock 2pot brembo rear would freak out the ABS computer and it would instantly activate ABS when trying to heat brakes. after about half a lap of this The ABS computer would get sick of it and fault out. once faulted out the brakes worked perfectly.

Ended up removing the abs altogether and installing a Chase Bays abs removal kit. Works okay but reservoir is a little small so i would suggest sourcing your own master cylinder from wilwood if you can.

Brakes are now absolutely amazing. so would definately recommend the 6pot + 362mm combo. dont bother with 370. as youve already been discussing only a few 18" wheels will clear the disc for such little gain. 362 allows you to run pretty much any 18" wheel you want and AP have the discs on the shelf.

Up to you if u do what i did and go for the larger endurance pad option. if you go for stock pad size u can probably buy a bracket kit direct off AP so up to you wether you want to spend the money and time to have custom brackets made up to mount the calipers.

So from my experience if you go to the bigger AP brakes you will most likely need to delete ABS. which id recommend anyway. i used to think it helped on track and prevented lock ups but ive now learnt non ABS pedal feel is much better and you can naturally feel a wheel beginning to lock up and you instinctively lift anyway. i havnt had a single flat spot or lock up since removing ABS. And easy 1.5 sec off my best lap times. but most importantly the brakes actually last an entire race without fading or catching fire now.
Driv200 (May 25, 2017)
Old May 25, 2017, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey Bee-Rad, good write. Dropped my car off a shop today Andy thought I would check back at this thread. Russian PM'd me checking in on our group interest. I'm open to options. Looks like we might have some based on this thread.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Resurrecting this thread after my group buy feeler with AP Radi-Cal was removed by admin? I have been looking for a better brake set up.....for 17” rims... focused on keeping rotating weight to a minimum.

If anyone is interested in Radi-Cal information for any size rim, would you let me know? I won’t call this a group buy. Let’s call it a fair question on Radi-Cal statistics.

PM your name if interested. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
If its just a function of making a caliper mounting bracket or making a radial mount upright for them, I could probably do either one. Would just need someone committed to actually doing it.

Quick Reply: Anyone running AP Pro Radi Cal brakes