Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Dipstick vs Block venting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
pushed out by what then? Im not sure what a dip stick vent is though so maybe im just not understanding what your actual problem is. I will say in troubleshooting you cannot rule something out unless you have specifically tested it and have a conclusive result from that test.
Agreed, but you're skipping past the answer to your questions which are in the beginning of the thread for those specifics.

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Out of curiosity....for those with oil pressure issues, especially with your dipstick popping out, what max oil psi are you seeing? My DEFI gauges show peek at around 125 psi at the filter on my 2.3L, and I've never had that happen on this build, or even on my stock block.
~120 is the max i've ever seen. And i've only had mine pop out once, which was one more time then i'd ever like to have happen.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
~120 is the max i've ever seen. And i've only had mine pop out once, which was one more time then i'd ever like to have happen.
What were the conditions in which it popped? For example, on track, high oil temps, etc?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 08:36 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Agreed, but you're skipping past the answer to your questions which are in the beginning of the thread for those specifics.

Sorry, my morning reading comprehension can be spotty. I looked up the 3-port STM catch can, and I understand what you are talking about now. The problem remains, why is oil getting pushed up your dip stick. I think under normal circumstances the head can vent enough crank pressure to cause no issues. Eventually though it seems common that people start blowing out their dip sticks. Its probably some function of boost vs ring sealing capability. Only a leak down test will show if your still in that healthy normal range of ring sealing though. In your specific instance, I think it could be a combination of acceleration and a decent G left turn. I think this might cause the oil to cover the bottom of the dip stick tube. Then add in some crank case pressure and the oil gets pushed up instead of just a popped dip stick, or in your case air venting through the 3-port catch can.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 08:39 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Thanks to hydraulics it would actually take very little overall crank pressure to push oil up that small tube.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
And since the "air" pressure is behind the fluid, it gets dumped into your can before said pressure can be relieved. Makes sense, but still. Ring seals are good, kiggly up top, fresh head. So thinking towards option 2.