Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA T2 Race Video

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCCA T2 Race Video

Raced at Road Atlanta this weekend to shake the car down before the NE Division kicks off. This is a clip of me doing what I had to do to get around the very fast Porsche. The E92 is even faster than the P. The bobble on the top of the downhill Ss was because I was so close I couldn't see the turn in point

Thanks to AMSPerformance and TRE!!

Marty
Old Mar 23, 2016, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Awesome! That porsche almost took a wall on the right side...
The following users liked this post:
Galant VR-4 #34 (Mar 24, 2016)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Ahh, damnit Marty! If you would have told us/me I woulda totally came out there and supported ya. I pondered going to help Jeff and his wicked dodge, good guy too. A few of us are only 10 mins from RA when you're there!

Nice laps though, crazy, but nice Couple Q's

1. You still running A's? I'm trying to find the new R7 "happy" psi so any help there.
2. What were the lap times in the clear?
3. Build updates - so last we saw you got to run Evo X brakes and I think upgraded past 245 tires?

All that talent and you had to get CJ to upload your vid lol.

Last edited by Balrok; Mar 23, 2016 at 04:25 PM.
Galant VR-4 #34 (Mar 24, 2016)
Old Mar 24, 2016, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Answers are imbedded with your questions below.

Originally Posted by Balrok
Ahh, damnit Marty! If you would have told us/me I woulda totally came out there and supported ya. I pondered going to help Jeff and his wicked dodge, good guy too. A few of us are only 10 mins from RA when you're there!

Nice laps though, crazy, but nice Couple Q's

1. You still running A's? I'm trying to find the new R7 "happy" psi so any help there.
Yes, I'm running A7s, I've tried the R7s a couple times in testing and found the same 40 psi hot to be the ticket, Tim at Hoosier says the same thing.

2. What were the lap times in the clear?
In the shortened race I ran a 36.4 with the P car on my tail so I never had what I would call a completely clear lap. I should be able to do a low 35.

3. Build updates - so last we saw you got to run Evo X brakes and I think upgraded past 245 tires?
Still bone stock motor other than an AMS tune, custom exhaust but still have to remain factory size to the cat-back, 295 tires on 18x10 rims and the Evo X brakes you mentioned.

All that talent and you had to get CJ to upload your vid lol.
He volunteered

At Daytona, every make of car in the field was exactly (oddly) 9 mph faster than the Evo, this included Mustang, Vette, Porsche and BMW M3-E92. I asked for an upgraded turbo and was denied. In case you were wondering, I was hitting 158 and they were going 167 (at Daytona).

Marty
Balrok (Mar 24, 2016)
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
awesome, nice recovery to pass. that dive bomb though.

Last edited by honda-guy; Mar 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Answers are imbedded with your questions below.

He volunteered

At Daytona, every make of car in the field was exactly (oddly) 9 mph faster than the Evo, this included Mustang, Vette, Porsche and BMW M3-E92. I asked for an upgraded turbo and was denied. In case you were wondering, I was hitting 158 and they were going 167 (at Daytona).

Marty
Wow 40psi, I tried 37 and it wasn't sticking at all. Others claimed it looses grip after 31 so I tried that in the race and it was night and day until the last lap when it began pushing. Curious. How do you like the 295's over the 275's?

So for your top speed, I assume your on stock gears/final drive? I opted for the JDM 5th gear so I'd maybe get 148 lol.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

I prefer late braking to dive bombing but really, it was a go or no go situation and when he left the door open and I was able to get side by side before I started my turn in I knew it would stick without incident.

With tire pressure there is comfort and fast. With less pressure the car was easier to drive but not as fast. I did soften the rear to get more bite in the rear with the R. But I didn't work with them much to be honest and went back to the A's.

Stock gearing in the trans with the Evo 8 3rd and 4th and the Evo 9 5th

I will put out more info when I race next time so you can join in on the fun!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoa. Intense first 2 laps. How did the rest go?

Like Balrok said we would have loved to come out and support!

Cheers!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

That was the restart after a black flag so there was only one more lap after the video.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mouseIX
Whoa. Intense first 2 laps. How did the rest go?

Like Balrok said we would have loved to come out and support!

Cheers!
Ill hit you guys up next time for sure.

Balrok-what have you done to your car? mods, weight etc.. I was watching your Road Atlanta race and I see you have the JDM 5th gear but what 3-4 do you have?

Marty
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Ill hit you guys up next time for sure.

Balrok-what have you done to your car? mods, weight etc.. I was watching your Road Atlanta race and I see you have the JDM 5th gear but what 3-4 do you have?

Marty
All oem 9 gears except for 5th. Having a longer 4th would be good for sure at that track. In that race she was at 400/3220 lbs, 2 way's, 275 R7's, hard bearings all around, crap front bumper and a big **** out the back. I think going your route with OEM bumpers and A's or slicks are better to get some points back and be able to run aftermarket arms and subframes instead. Unless you go Joe's route with the full Tilton treatment for aero, then it doesn't really help, maybe. But as you saw I'm nowhere near as aggressive lol. I'm more of the Iceman approach, "wear you down, you get bored, frustrated, make a mistake and I got ya" lol.
Galant VR-4 #34 (Mar 27, 2016)
Old Mar 28, 2016, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
got any info on the evo x brake swap? did a quick search and not much came up. just evo x calipers, rotors and brake line, then straight forward swap?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
All oem 9 gears except for 5th. Having a longer 4th would be good for sure at that track. In that race she was at 400/3220 lbs, 2 way's, 275 R7's, hard bearings all around, crap front bumper and a big **** out the back. I think going your route with OEM bumpers and A's or slicks are better to get some points back and be able to run aftermarket arms and subframes instead. Unless you go Joe's route with the full Tilton treatment for aero, then it doesn't really help, maybe. But as you saw I'm nowhere near as aggressive lol. I'm more of the Iceman approach, "wear you down, you get bored, frustrated, make a mistake and I got ya" lol.

The best combination I have used is the Evo 8 3-4 and the Evo 9 5th gear set. From your video at RA, I would recommend not shifting to 3rd as much, its upsetting your car and you are likely losing time. Example is going into T 2-3, just stay in 4th (especially with your shorter 4th gear) and get on the throttle earlier and let the torque pull you through, then stay in 4th all the way to the turn onto the back straight, although with your current shorter 4th you would have to shift to 5th after the uphill left.

I'm at 3300lbs due to rules not allowing me to totally strip the car out. Also, for a qual lap you likely wouldn't see much a difference between 275s and 295s but over the course of the race you can definitely keep your tires under you easier with the 295s.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
got any info on the evo x brake swap? did a quick search and not much came up. just evo x calipers, rotors and brake line, then straight forward swap?
Yes, the fronts were near bolt on, We had to slightly adjust the hole with a drill but it was very easy. I was told that the Evo X rears would fit as well but that is not the case. Unfortunately I had already purchased them. They will not fit without major modifications. I didn't look into seeing if you could retrofit any of the X mounting points and then bolt the brakes on to that. Anyone ever try?

The X front brakes are a nice cheap upgrade for sure and highly recommended. Also, I highly recommend the Carbotech XP24s. After years of trying different brands and pad models, these are by far the best braking, longest lasting pads I've ever used.

Marty
honda-guy (Mar 29, 2016)
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

The best combination I have used is the Evo 8 3-4 and the Evo 9 5th gear set. From your video at RA, I would recommend not shifting to 3rd as much, its upsetting your car and you are likely losing time. Example is going into T 2-3, just stay in 4th (especially with your shorter 4th gear) and get on the throttle earlier and let the torque pull you through, then stay in 4th all the way to the turn onto the back straight, although with your current shorter 4th you would have to shift to 5th after the uphill left.

I'm at 3300lbs due to rules not allowing me to totally strip the car out. Also, for a qual lap you likely wouldn't see much a difference between 275s and 295s but over the course of the race you can definitely keep your tires under you easier with the 295s.
Some others with stock 9 gears also shift to 5th after 3-4 but I'd have to see where I'm at keeping things in 4th. To me coming out of 5 in 3rd gear felt a lot better but it's such a quick shift I can see where it becomes moot if you're on a flyer and take the outside curbing. For my brakes the guys I'm up against are all usually full monoblock's so I dropped the coin for the AP kit up front. My OEM setup was tapering and knocking so much I had 50% difference between the leading and trailing edges.

For your body parts did you opt for $oem or go with the cheap duraflex stuff?

Quick Reply: SCCA T2 Race Video