Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting read until you guys started talking about suspensions (seems to happen on most threads here). So help me understand what the Racing Brake pistons improve and why some of you guys did the upgrade? Better thermal capacity? Better clamping force? Help against brake fluid boiling? Is it worth it?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Interesting read until you guys started talking about suspensions (seems to happen on most threads here). So help me understand what the Racing Brake pistons improve and why some of you guys did the upgrade? Better thermal capacity? Better clamping force? Help against brake fluid boiling? Is it worth it?
https://www.racingbrake.com/EVO-Fron...s-p/bm-41p.htm

These stainless steel pistons are excellent upgrade for your stock aluminum pistons, not only they are stronger and more rigid than aluminum, they will not corrode and can transmit more brake torque but with less heat (about 1/10) than stock aluminum pistons.

Our pistons also have vents to further prevent heat transfer to fluid, allow you to run your brake system at lower temperature which means less replacement on brake fluid, and eliminate the use of titanium shims saving you down time, operating and maintenance cost.

If you are hard on brake and have been looking to improve your overall braking efficiency, and tired of replacing brake fluid and don't like the soft pedal due to the use of heat shield Titanium shims, look no more!
i haven't used them to the extent that they would be effective yet. i had a bad break problem last time i was on track. re: autox, they've been working fine

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 28, 2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice, thanks for the info guys. I might have to look into those. Anyone selling at set of those RB steel pistons?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Nice, thanks for the info guys. I might have to look into those. Anyone selling at set of those RB steel pistons?
i got a set for one caliper for sale. lol

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...s-pistons.html
Old Mar 4, 2018, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

finally took the evo out for a spin and - soft!! probably still have air in the lines, only bled once and while i didn't see any air in the lines its prob worth doing a flush again. can no longer blame the shims lol
Old Mar 4, 2018, 05:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
finally took the evo out for a spin and - soft!! probably still have air in the lines, only bled once and while i didn't see any air in the lines its prob worth doing a flush again. can no longer blame the shims lol

when you bleed them again let us know the pedal feel.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 06:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Shouldn't really feel much different than it was before.

You should consider a Motive power bleeder. Easily one of the best tools I've bought, can bleed all 4 corners by myself in less than 15 minutes and only costs like $50.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

i have one, just dont like using it.

just flushed and found this in the lines - anyone have any idea what this is?

Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9-dz7qw5c.jpg

it's sticking to the walls of the catch can, so idk that it's totally out of the calipers. calipers were built and pc'd by detective coating, could it be some kind of cleaner or something? i got as much out that came out, i'm willing to bet the brakes will feel better now
Old Mar 4, 2018, 09:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Let me guess - your calipers are green! (Looks like powder coat
Old Mar 4, 2018, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
Let me guess - your calipers are green! (Looks like powder coat
they are red sadly. but they were powdercoated!

what do i do?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

if they were brand new from powder coating, could be left over residue. you should have seen it when you bled the brakes the first time? unless it too time for the brake fluid to dissolve what ever is in there.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
if they were brand new from powder coating, could be left over residue. you should have seen it when you bled the brakes the first time? unless it too time for the brake fluid to dissolve what ever is in there.
i don't recall seeing it from the first bleed (yes, freshly pc'd), and i'm pretty attentive.

anyway, i'm hoping that's all of it. it's pretty sticky though, clinging to the hose and walls of the catch can, but fingers crossed this will fix the soft pedal. the rest of the set up is the same as my 9 brembos, where i had a stiff pedal: girodisc s/s - ti shim - oem shim. haven't driven it after the second bleed but it felt like utter ****. everything else in the brake system has been revamped last year so it can only be the caliper/air in the lines

::
according to the builder it is brake caliper assembly lube from racing brake.

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 5, 2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

question as far as the setup, larger rotors, etc -

does it take more pedal to kick in ABS now? or less? i would think less, since the same pedal amount would create more force to lock the tires, ie kick in abs. my "panic stop" test was pretty impressive, and zero indication of abs.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

easier to engage abs

Quick Reply: Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9