Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
And i think you all are correct that it may not be much of, if any upgrade doing the rears. The fronts have its usefulness on track from what ive read from a few persons who have done it. However getting the rears to work up may be more of a look factor by filling up that space with 18s and will provide some usefulness for persons with X rear brakes on hand with nothing to do with them.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i love my evo x front brakes, honestly they feel amazing. 320mm for the evo 9 is just way too small for track days
Old Apr 16, 2020, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
An alternative to the rear EVO X brake upgrade is to just convert your EVO VIII/IX rear brake rotor to 330MM
There are some japanese vendor which offer this upgrade but they are not cheap as the rotor is 2 piece
Some of the vendor who offer this upgrade: Biot, Deck Mechanical Power(Garland rotor), Kyushu Danji
You can reach out to JDM vendor like rhdjapan or nengun for more info
Old Apr 16, 2020, 05:20 AM

Are those rotor upgrades meant to work with the stock rear brembo caliper though?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 06:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I'm more curious about the caliper specs to see if there is any actual benefit to changing them. How does it shift balance on changed of rotor diameter or piston area and how is that balance compare to OEM split.
Evo X rear brakes should give 10% higher brake torque, which matches the 10% front increase of the Evo X front brakes.

I'll PM you with my incomplete spreadsheet of BBK calculations.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I am also of the mindset EvoX brakes arent much of an upgrade other than being able to get a little more front heat capacity.
Yes, it's a cheap way to get more thermal capacity up front. Hard to beat $400 for take-off calipers and $200 for Centric rotors price-wise. The brake torque increases slightly too, which might explain why a few people claim better brake feel after the upgrade.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 06:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOFans
An alternative to the rear EVO X brake upgrade is to just convert your EVO VIII/IX rear brake rotor to 330MM
There are some japanese vendor which offer this upgrade but they are not cheap as the rotor is 2 piece
Some of the vendor who offer this upgrade: Biot, Deck Mechanical Power(Garland rotor), Kyushu Danji
You can reach out to JDM vendor like rhdjapan or nengun for more info
The stock calipers can't accept a larger rotor.

To upgrade the rotor, you either need to install calipers that sit farther away from the center of the hub, or somehow space out the stock calipers with a custom upright.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

s2ks have a very simple solution to that from ballade:

https://balladesports.com/collection...otor-kit-front

it's not just heat. bigger rotors, more brake torque. i haven't had issues with any kind of overheating etc on the track with the evo x rotors, pretty impressive
Old Apr 16, 2020, 06:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
it's not just heat. bigger rotors, more brake torque. i haven't had issues with any kind of overheating etc on the track with the evo x rotors, pretty impressive
Not necessarily. Torque is a function of rotor diameter and the piston area of the caliper. Also depends slightly on the brake pad width, but that's minimal.

Many of the BBKs have less piston area than the stock caliper to keep the brake torque similar even with larger rotor diameters. The AP Racing Radi-CAL 9660 setup should have similar brake torque to stock despite having giant rotors.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

all else equal, basically yes but technically depends on piston yes. the ballade kit is basically a bolt on to utilize larger rotors on stock calipers. my buddy has this kit for front and rear on his car, the difference was pretty stark
Old Apr 16, 2020, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
An option to increase brake torque with a larger setup also is to get that evasive Bosch Motorsports ABS ecu. Would allow for something that wasn't made for "oem spec".
Old Apr 16, 2020, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 729 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
An option to increase brake torque with a larger setup also is to get that evasive Bosch Motorsports ABS ecu. Would allow for something that wasn't made for "oem spec".
Only like 10k for that right? Even Im not that crazy
Old Apr 16, 2020, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
IF you could find it lol.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 09:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 729 Likes on 569 Posts
Well it looks like the bigger rear rotor with the X caliper shifts bias back to compensate for the forward shift of going to X front calipers. If you did go that route, you would have to always looks for X kits in the future if wanting to go bigger since kits in general use smaller piston area to compensate.

If someone wants to send me an EvoX rear caliper I can 3d scan it and add it do my rear upright model to see what would need to change to fit. I suppose I could also just compare the uprights themselves... But would be better to have the caliper itself.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 09:45 AM

If i had a rear caliper i would have definitely sent it. Anyone wants to send one?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
The stock calipers can't accept a larger rotor.

To upgrade the rotor, you either need to install calipers that sit farther away from the center of the hub, or somehow space out the stock calipers with a custom upright.
Yes, the kit come with an adapter to run space the stock rear caliper to run the larger rotor
One of the kit offered is this: http://kyushudanji.shop-pro.jp/?pid=26813585

Quick Reply: Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9