Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

50/50 or lighter weight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm all for lighter. You can tune in the balance. Cutting weight helps in braking, acceleration, and tire load in corners.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 09:32 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by mouseIX
Cutting weight helps in braking, acceleration, and tire load in corners.
Yes, that's exactly why we strive for it.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Lighter weight

I've seen a couple instances where adding weight helped but that was in sprint cars which are a different animal.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:25 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Meathooker
Lighter weight

I've seen a couple instances where adding weight helped but that was in sprint cars which are a different animal.
Adding weight, as in moving from one end to another? I didn't think about how poorly weighted our cars are, as someone mentioned above. The car would have to be, like, 2000lbs in order to add enough ballast to balance the car without being horribly overweight LOL.
Definitely not doable.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
As a side note, I will add weight to move weight off the front. Like moving ACD pump or battery to the rear. Definitely worth it to get it off the nose. Now I just gotta figure out how to relocated radiator.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 01:23 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Dallas J
As a side note, I will add weight to move weight off the front. Like moving ACD pump or battery to the rear. Definitely worth it to get it off the nose. Now I just gotta figure out how to relocated radiator.
Yeah, I'm wanting to do the same. The how-to for moving the ACD pump looked not fun, but eh well.

As for the radiator, you could always put it in the rear, with a couple big puller fans, like the RallyX cars.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 05:44 PM
EvoM Guru

I did the ACD relocation and it's an interesting project. I used the Evap can line to feed the pump since it's the same size and basically the same length as stock ACD line. Tricky part is connecting the line to the center diff. Was something like inverted flare line, -5 to -6 adapter, -6 line, 14mm/-6 banjo. At the back I just used a 5/16 hose with double hose clamps on each end to see if it'll work and hasn't leaked so I haven't touched it.

Making the bracket was probably the most challenging part. Can post a pic if you want but would be hard to see really what I did.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 07:07 PM
kaj

I did the ACD relocation and it's an interesting project. I used the Evap can line to feed the pump since it's the same size and basically the same length as stock ACD line. Tricky part is connecting the line to the center diff. Was something like inverted flare line, -5 to -6 adapter, -6 line, 14mm/-6 banjo. At the back I just used a 5/16 hose with double hose clamps on each end to see if it'll work and hasn't leaked so I haven't touched it.

Making the bracket was probably the most challenging part. Can post a pic if you want but would be hard to see really what I did.
I need my evap system, so I would need another option.
I'm starting to realize how lazy I'm getting LOL. I'd swap in a mechanical diff, but it sounds like the ACD can be tuned to work better.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

I had a couple random laser cut tabs laying around and threw this together. Raced all weekend without issue.

Name:  FC18EA55-279F-4AD5-9BEE-B2BC49890EA4_zpsitrmmvqx.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  201.6 KB
Old Jun 26, 2016, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

We just ran an6 for be whole line. It wasn't bad at all.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 08:00 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Meathooker
We just ran an6 for be whole line. It wasn't bad at all.
That's what I'm thinking. Aeroquip should work? What did you use for fittings?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 08:11 PM
EvoM Guru

I thought using the factory line already mounted was really clean and made a few things simpler. If one day I run a -6 line for fuel I'll run a second for the ACD and move it from the driver to passenger side. For now though, the driver side has a perfect location to stuff it since I didn't want the pump in the trunk and muffler is all kinds of in the way on the other.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Why didn't you want the pump in the trunk? Guessing an attempt to keep the weight down low?

I just finished up relocating my ACD and while part of my motive was to shed weight over the nose another motive being that my car sees snow was to keep it out of the elements as my factory pump sh*t the bed.

For my line I opted to be super legit and used 5/16" brake line bent it up nice and flared it. Building the line sucked hardcore. I can see a braided line being much easier or using the evap line and coming up with a solution to connect it to the xcase and pump but I still have EVAP thanks to MA inspection rules. But I felt in the end that a hardline would come out cleaner which I think was my end result as I even was able to sit it in the clips where the brake lines run.

In summary if you wanna just get it done EVAP line or braided will work fine. But if you wanna hate life use a hardline.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

I thought the install would be cleaner having the pump outside of the car. Plus if I ever converted the car back to streetable, I didn't want to have to listen to it. Just seems like the right thing to do

Heres the main bolts holding it in place. I cut a long section off the OEM bracket, tilted it over 90deg, and welded it in place to give a second bolt hole. Doing it this way wasn't completely solid as is so I added the angled strap in the second pic that stops the mount from moving back and forth. Now its completely rock solid and the pump is mounted with the factory isolation bushings. Could have lost more weight making a custom bracket but this was easy to just get it done and has worked so well that I haven't bothered trying to make something different.

50/50 or lighter weight?-47zt4cc.jpg

50/50 or lighter weight?-qrwc90b.jpg
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Lighter is better. F/R ratio differences can be sorted out with suspension tuning.

Quick Reply: 50/50 or lighter weight?