Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Puff of smoke from under the hood??????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Puff of smoke from under the hood??????

This is my second season of autoxing the car. On some runs, not all of them I will get a puff of white smoke that comes out of the hood vent. It seems to be when in a faster corner, transition. Car doesnt sputter and there is not distinct smell. Any Ideas???

I thought it might be the clutch. Last year my co-driver was riding brakes pulling up to the line and the clutch started smoking. (he was being a little over aggressive)

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Do you have any oil leak on your car? You can get puffs of smoke from something like the oil return line dripping onto the down pipe which can happen under heavy load over idle due to crankcase pressure.
Oil leaks should be easy to spot though, if you don't have one I would suspect somehow you're getting coolant on the exhaust manifold or heat shield. Is the hose going from the radiator to reservoir still connected?
I doubt its clutch related. They will smoke if you overheat them but the smoke doesn't come back. You would just be left with a bunch of dust in the bell housing that you can sorta blow out by removing the inspection plug and side cover and blowing air into the inspection hole.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Do you have any oil leak on your car? You can get puffs of smoke from something like the oil return line dripping onto the down pipe which can happen under heavy load over idle due to crankcase pressure.
Oil leaks should be easy to spot though, if you don't have one I would suspect somehow you're getting coolant on the exhaust manifold or heat shield. Is the hose going from the radiator to reservoir still connected?
I doubt its clutch related. They will smoke if you overheat them but the smoke doesn't come back. You would just be left with a bunch of dust in the bell housing that you can sorta blow out by removing the inspection plug and side cover and blowing air into the inspection hole.
No oil leaks, or any leaks for that matter. We had the turbo off this winter, and the problem wasn't present before then. I will check all the lines. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
do you have a catch can?

Are you running E85?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by TheBoz
do you have a catch can?

Are you running E85?
Yes on e85 and I do have a catch can.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
does it vta? does it recirculate?

Could be the liquid inside evaporating. I get a clear liquid build up in my catch can. I have had the exact same thing happen, and there are zero leaks, and my exhaust dumps out of the front of the car.

Compression numbers on my car are about 200psi across all cyl's. Plugs always look great, AFR's are always clean when I pull logs. No knock, I am running my car at about 400-450whp 16-18psi, somewhere in that range. I have an EBC with a trim pot so I can just adjust my boost with a knob.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 06:54 AM

It does Vta.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get little puffs of smoke autoxing from my power steering fluid boiling and spraying out the over flow. I'm not sure if its just from the fluid itself or if it makes its way to the exhaust manifold/down pipe. I never really worried about it but it does make a mess and should be easy to spot.