Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Curb weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 07:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Rob Fuller once told me that, with a cage or fender braces, a strut bar isn't needed. I have no way to test the theory, but he knows more than I.
I'd think this would only be true if your cage extends to all 4 strut towers. Cages come in many flavors and they are not all created equal.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Any guesses on what my 9 SSL weighs in at without me in it? (with 2 gallons of fuel)

Removed:
Front/Rear crash beams
front engine strut bar
wiper fluid reservoir
spare tire/carpet/jack
subwoofer
spoiler

Lighter:
wheels - 17" rpf1
suspension - f2 coilovers
exhaust/intake/ic piping, etc
battery - mini battery
Old Oct 5, 2017, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Meathooker
That is crazy light.

Bar and plate or tube and fin core?
Sure is...I guess it being 5 years back I forgot what it actually weighed.

13.2lbs for the intercooler and all mounting hardware
18.6lb total for all piping, adel clamps, IAT sensor and Tial BOV

Sorry.
Still light though.

I don't know why people use anything but aluminum on IC piping. It's all I've EVER used and I've never had a problem with cracking. I have had problems with t-bolt clamps crushing the tube out of round though which can lead to blowing off IC pipes, particularly if you go up to 3". There are better clamps that you can use though that won't crush the tube, or you can use some 1/8" thick rings at the ends to clamp on to.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Oct 5, 2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
Vibrant's HD clamps are pretty slick but they're expensive and don't allow for the pipe to move much. Great for areas where you don't want couplers but still need the pipe to be able to separate.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Regarding the tow strap stuff. Unless I read this wrong, you definitely want more than one bolt holding that in. The tensile strength of the bolt may be 8ksi but when being towed that bolt is being loaded in shear and shear strength is usually less than half of tensile strength for most materials. One bolt may be fine if the car still rolls straight but in a bad accident that renders the car immobile you're going to want more than one bolt or you may risk shearing it.
I recently installed a tow strap on my car and this has me curious if its an accident waiting to happen. I specifically didnt want a hook bc I know its only a matter of time until it takes out my shin so strap seemed ideal. I ended up with a Sparco tow strap as it was cheap and seemed decent enough. Only catch is it only had one bolt hole. I drilled into the factory crash beam and installed it with a 5/8 grade 8 bolt and large washers. I understand the bolt is indeed in sheer vs tension but I'd think it should still be plenty strong no?

Its worked fine so far winching my car up on the trailer but to your point when the wheels arent rolling it puts far more stress on it. Im still skeptical that bolt will be the weak point vs the 4 bolts that hold on the crash beam but who knows.

And to bring this back around to sort of remain on topic what are folks thoughts on a lightweight front bumper beam with a tow strap connected to it? Id think an AL bumper beam would be a nono however something chromoly like even what STM offers should be strong enough.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Also, you guys talking about how heavy SS intercooler pipes are is making me want to cry. I too was annoyed that there seemed to be limited options for AL intercooler piping. I'd still be rocking the OEM setup at least for the UICP however with my intercooler I dont think it fit all that well and I blew off couplers all the time which sucked. Since then with my new piping which I've had on for a few years now I have yet to have another coupler blow off, knock on wood.

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Vibrant's HD clamps are pretty slick but they're expensive and don't allow for the pipe to move much. Great for areas where you don't want couplers but still need the pipe to be able to separate.
Those do look nice but I could have sworn someone was saying they were having issues with them leaking. Wiggins clamps are sweet too but $$$
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
I recently installed a tow strap on my car and this has me curious if its an accident waiting to happen. I specifically didnt want a hook bc I know its only a matter of time until it takes out my shin so strap seemed ideal. I ended up with a Sparco tow strap as it was cheap and seemed decent enough. Only catch is it only had one bolt hole. I drilled into the factory crash beam and installed it with a 5/8 grade 8 bolt and large washers. I understand the bolt is indeed in sheer vs tension but I'd think it should still be plenty strong no?

Its worked fine so far winching my car up on the trailer but to your point when the wheels arent rolling it puts far more stress on it. Im still skeptical that bolt will be the weak point vs the 4 bolts that hold on the crash beam but who knows.

And to bring this back around to sort of remain on topic what are folks thoughts on a lightweight front bumper beam with a tow strap connected to it? Id think an AL bumper beam would be a nono however something chromoly like even what STM offers should be strong enough.
Well a 5/8 bolt is a pretty decent size. If you can't add more bolts then your only options are move to a larger diameter or a higher grade.

I've seen a fair amount of people use the HD clamps without issue. I know their older design vanjen clamps had issues with cracking.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

My thoughts exactly. Honestly, I think my strap will fail prior to the bolt sheering. This is the strap I bought which as you can see if nothing special. To step up to a larger diameter bolt would mean opening up that hole more in which case I think I would be doing myself a disservice.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Sparco/879/016...SABEgL90PD_BwE

Thoughts on a tow strap attached to a chromoly bumper beam up front?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I have a ginormous bolt holding my tow strap to my crash beam. Not sure the dia, but it's the biggest that would fit through the hole LOL.
I'd really like to do one of these, since I don't care about cutting up my car:

Old Oct 5, 2017, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Also, you guys talking about how heavy SS intercooler pipes are is making me want to cry. I too was annoyed that there seemed to be limited options for AL intercooler piping. I'd still be rocking the OEM setup at least for the UICP however with my intercooler I dont think it fit all that well and I blew off couplers all the time which sucked. Since then with my new piping which I've had on for a few years now I have yet to have another coupler blow off, knock on wood.

Those do look nice but I could have sworn someone was saying they were having issues with them leaking. Wiggins clamps are sweet too but $$$
we use Hargett clamps. They are awesome. Expensive - yes. but figure what it costs to drive to a race, entry fees, hotel, food, tires, etc and have one blow off on a race run and they start to see like a bargain!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I have a ginormous bolt holding my tow strap to my crash beam. Not sure the dia, but it's the biggest that would fit through the hole LOL.
I'd really like to do one of these, since I don't care about cutting up my car:

how much are those to buy? i was thinking about laser-ing out a few to sell
Old Oct 5, 2017, 06:57 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by meathooker
how much are those to buy? I was thinking about laser-ing out a few to sell
$115.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
$115.
i'll make some of them if anyone is interested. laster cut, CNC bent, power coated red for $100.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Is it any better to yank a car by a strut tower? Plus that looks heavy haha
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Meathooker
i'll make some of them if anyone is interested. laster cut, CNC bent, power coated red for $100.
I'll take one.

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Is it any better to yank a car by a strut tower? Plus that looks heavy haha
One of the most solid places to pull from, heck yes. If that area can handle stress from suspension components, strut tower braces, etc then I gotta imagine I can tow from there.

I trust my strap and the giant bolt holding in on.. but my crash beam still has those 10mm bolts holding it to the car LOL. Plus I'm tired of buying new straps.

You reduce a bit of weight from the metal you gotta cut from the hood

Quick Reply: Curb weight reduction