Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Been working on these for Austin for a couple months. Finished up the bodies and steering arms this weekend and just need to make him (and myself) extra long strut mounts.

View this post on Instagram
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Mar 11, 2019)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 01:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
🤤🤤🤤 I can't wait to hold them
Old Mar 11, 2019, 04:54 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
🤤🤤🤤 I can't wait to hold them
That's what she said.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Just pulled the trigger on this guy

https://peel-3d.com/products/peel-2

Need to spend some time scanning stuff quickly in the first week of having it to make sure it can do what I need and currently pulling the motor sooooo... can you guess what Im thinking?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

Need to spend some time scanning stuff quickly in the first week of having it to make sure it can do what I need and currently pulling the motor sooooo... can you guess what Im thinking?
Billet block!! :-)
alpinaturbo (Sep 16, 2019)
Old Sep 16, 2019, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Dallas,

I trust you and Zach have evaluated Caliper options aplenty. How would you characterize the Wilwood Aero6, compared to StopTech, Alcon, and AP, of same/similar size?
My understanding is that the Wilwood Aero6 weight and price-performance ratio are very competitive, and perhaps better option than Evo X Brembo or similar.

Thank you.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Billet block!! :-)
Oh man, one day I'll do something that awesome. My skill is still not quite there but growing

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Dallas,

I trust you and Zach have evaluated Caliper options aplenty. How would you characterize the Wilwood Aero6, compared to StopTech, Alcon, and AP, of same/similar size?
My understanding is that the Wilwood Aero6 weight and price-performance ratio are very competitive, and perhaps better option than Evo X Brembo or similar.

Thank you.
TBH, we havent done any serious qualification of the higher end brake kits. Im sure they are awesome, have stiffer bodies, able to handle higher temps (seal wise), bigger thermal masses, better venting, etc and all those things. But it would take someone more familiar with and who has actually used them (not just read internet rabble) to speak to that.

Wilwoods latest calipers seem to be quite good and are relatively affordable. I used them because they offer all the info needed to package together something usable as an actual improvement to what I wanted. In my case, I wanted to shift bias rearward and reduce weight. That meant sacrificing thermal mass but for my application you'd be hard pressed to actually fully overheat brakes. And I have the capability of throwing in a caliper spacer to run 320 OEM or 350 big rotor.
alpinaturbo (Sep 16, 2019)
Old Sep 16, 2019, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

I would say, but I already saw you post about it on FB, so it wouldn't be fair...
Old Sep 16, 2019, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I would say, but I already saw you post about it on FB, so it wouldn't be fair...
Heh.. I've been poking around for clearances and it seems theres definitely room but a tricky spot that may need some clearancing. But if it can be done, I'll figure it out
Old Sep 16, 2019, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That's what angle grinders are for
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Oh man, one day I'll do something that awesome. My skill is still not quite there but growing

TBH, we havent done any serious qualification of the higher end brake kits. Im sure they are awesome, have stiffer bodies, able to handle higher temps (seal wise), bigger thermal masses, better venting, etc and all those things. But it would take someone more familiar with and who has actually used them (not just read internet rabble) to speak to that.

Wilwoods latest calipers seem to be quite good and are relatively affordable. I used them because they offer all the info needed to package together something usable as an actual improvement to what I wanted. In my case, I wanted to shift bias rearward and reduce weight. That meant sacrificing thermal mass but for my application you'd be hard pressed to actually fully overheat brakes. And I have the capability of throwing in a caliper spacer to run 320 OEM or 350 big rotor.

I can only comment on the AP's as i havnt tried the others but they are great. in saying that i wouldnt bother upgrading brakes unless ur having brake issues or wanting to do something like dallas did with weight.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Dallas,

Thank you.
The WW Aero calipers are 90% of the performance at 50% of the cost of those other high end options.

Heh.. I've been poking around for clearances and it seems theres definitely room but a tricky spot that may need some clearancing. But if it can be done, I'll figure it out
Still pursuing the motor mount idea or is this something else I missed?
alpinaturbo (Sep 18, 2019)
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Well Im firmly a mechanical engineer with more than 2 decades working on mechanical systems and 12 years doing new concept development and advanced design. What I'm not is an Industrial designer. I avoid crafts as a pragmatic person who wants to build functional and permanent things. That said, this is my first stab at designing something for the rear flare off of my 3d scan. Its sort of what's matching in my head but I feel its missing something. So trust me when I say I don't mind any criticism even if its "its all trash, try again..." lol.

GTA.RS (Nov 2, 2020)
Old Nov 3, 2020, 05:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Is it covering the rear door?

The one thing that sticks out to me is how far down it comes in the rear. Wheel wells are almost entirely dirty air, evacuating them as efficiently as possible is important for proper underbody airflow. I would play around with shortening the rear of it and chopping the bumper. Something like this is a bit on the extreme end but isolating the flow off the rear tires from the flow underneath the car works very well in most cases.

Old Nov 3, 2020, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
- It doesn’t look like there’s much headroom for suspension travel. Don’t most aftermarket fender go up into the filler cap area?
- Seems like a longer, smoother transition on the leading edge from the body would help aero.

Nice looking scan!

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023