Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 07:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Part of the reason I decided to make the uprights was that even if you had them in hand it wouldn't be realistic to make your own copy. And being as complicated as they are, theirs a lot of intent hidden in the design that would be lost to a copier. But at the end of the day, I cant patent it because patents don't work for people at our level.

This is just the name of the game in the aftermarket. If you (or I) come up with an idea, and its easy to make, it will be copied. If their are big margins on it, someone will make it cheaper.

I'm doing what I can to innovate on things but I can only guarantee I'm the first do to it.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 08:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah. But you also didn't get mad at me when I said we plan on building a weldment upright when I get the cash together...lol

Also, you can't really patent a control arm. Every car comes with control arms.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 30, 2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Part of the reason I decided to make the uprights was that even if you had them in hand it wouldn't be realistic to make your own copy. And being as complicated as they are, theirs a lot of intent hidden in the design that would be lost to a copier. But at the end of the day, I cant patent it because patents don't work for people at our level.

This is just the name of the game in the aftermarket. If you (or I) come up with an idea, and its easy to make, it will be copied. If their are big margins on it, someone will make it cheaper.

I'm doing what I can to innovate on things but I can only guarantee I'm the first do to it.
HA! I went trough that with the ACD pump overhaul thing... Of course, showing everyone how to fix them may not have been the best business practice.. LOL

letsgetthisdone, I am not dissing your solution, I am just trying to have an engineering discussion on possible movement in a piece of bent tubing when under 2000+ N of force.. As I am designing my own front arms (disclamer, not copying anyone ) keeping things stiff is on top of my priority. It will be good to hear how the car bahaves with it..
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
letsgetthisdone, I am not dissing your solution, I am just trying to have an engineering discussion on possible movement in a piece of bent tubing when under 2000+ N of force.. As I am designing my own front arms (disclamer, not copying anyone ) keeping things stiff is on top of my priority. It will be good to hear how the car bahaves with it..

I know you're not. Flex concerns is why went so thick on wall thickness.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Yeah. But you also did get mad at me when I said we plan on building a weldment upright when I get the cash together...lol
Hey now, I never got mad about that. I'm more interested in seeing what your guy comes up with. Just like my new control arms, I certainly could have made them from steel in a weldment, aluminum is just more fun and cool to me.

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
Its certainly something I would run FEA on, but I have the R/TErnie arms on my car for like 5 years without issue.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Hey now, I never got mad about that. I'm more interested in seeing what your guy comes up with. Just like my new control arms, I certainly could have made them from steel in a weldment, aluminum is just more fun and cool to me.

Its certainly something I would run FEA on, but I have the R/TErnie arms on my car for like 5 years without issue.

****, sorry. That was a typo. I definitely meant that you didn't* get mad...lol.

You definitely seem on the side of just seeing other progress. Hence sending me the dxf file to get top plates cut for my ohlins (thanks again btw ).

We could FEA them in solidworks, but not really sure of the forces they see from the rear tire. They mostly just hold the wheel fore/aft. So mostly just accel and braking forces.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

yes, it depends on what sort of machinery and service you have... I am having huge problems getting a good CNC shop for milling and turning.. on the other hand, I can tig weld and have great suppliers for laser cutting so most my stuff tends to use that technology...

I have a upright design for my single seater all ready to cut... but Evo needs to be finished first..
Name:  uprightnew6.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  50.7 KB

Speaking of custom uprights.. IMHO it is a slippery slope, as then there are stiffer ways of attaching things, like struits and going for direct fit of radial calipers... all leading to more fabrication..
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

We could FEA them in solidworks, but not really sure of the forces they see from the rear tire. They mostly just hold the wheel fore/aft. So mostly just accel and braking forces.
I am not saying it will break, for sure not... I would say that on corner exit you might see 0.5 G, for example, under accel, and about 25%, or a bit more, will be pushing that wheel forward... so, 2000 N maybe?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:31 AM
EvoM Guru

I'll take that 2000N figure to the fab guy and have him run it, see what happens.

Direct mount of a radial caliper is something I would like to incorporate in mine. Which will simply lead to needing more money for the project...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

I was able to make it flex a smidge when tightening the ball joint. I was using a 3ft long crescent wrench, and putting most of my 240lbs body weight on it though, so conservatively, a lot of torque...LOL. That is also a twisting force working on the bend vs a straight pull or push. So, I'm not sure how that would translate.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
240lbs body weight
Im lucky to crack 175lbs anymore. My lifting days have been subdued a bit

Anyway. Chromoly correct?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Almost all of my design load requirements are based on 1mm of deflection at around 2000lbs. Overkill, but a failure can be catastrophic.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Im lucky to crack 175lbs anymore. My lifting days have been subdued a bit

Anyway. Chromoly correct?

Yeah, 4130 Chromoly, USA sourced...

Almost all of my design load requirements are based on 1mm of deflection at around 2000lbs. Overkill, but a failure can be catastrophic.

Cool. We'll see if they stay together this weekend. Then we can run an FEA next week lol
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Agreed on all fronts. Any manufacturing wither auto or home ends up getting copied anyway mostly offshore and you simply can't compete with it at the end of the day. I really like what we're doing here and keeping it close because once you try to brand and sell it elsewhere you end up spending more then you make it seems...unless it's really out there and groundbreaking. Take the racefab pan I added - another fellow track member figured out how to do it cheaper by a bit because he didn't want to deal with xyz. If you want something bad enough you find a way of getting it done yourself usually.

Whats really dangerous is most of us are engineering geeks and have a geeky platform to work on so someday ya'll will be making a whole chassis
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
copied anyway mostly offshore
Sean is offshore. All the way in the desert

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023