Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Well we have been slamming on getting this going. After last weekend I am happy to report that it RUNS. We have a few different small issues but for the most part all systems are functional. We are moving on to wiring ABS and getting the car dyno ready so we can get a tune on it.

I ran the injectors through a cleaning and flow bench to make sure they were up to snuff after sitting all winter, they check out, while I would like to switch them the budget is getting thinner!

We converted this foam filled case to be used at the battery box for our 3x 160amp hour lipo batteries from a quadcopter. They should be able to run this thing about at hour or so from the current draws I am seeing on our smartwire. We have a quick charge harness that goes to the winch plug so the car can be charged in grid if needed.

Hopefully have some more interesting stuff going on soon!

Zack
Old Mar 6, 2018, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by wanabgts
Hopefully have some more interesting stuff going on soon!

Zack
Yeah cause this build has been a real snooze fest
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

300lbs of ballast are now on board. We are getting closer to having his thing race ready. I am expecting to get it on the dyno thur/fri to get the map sorted out. Pretty funny to work so hard to shave weight, and then cram all this in there, but the balance should be pretty skippy.

Zack
Old May 21, 2018, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Long time no update guys sorry about that.

Shortly after getting the car going I began testing, and ended up breaking a connecting rod in the engine. Then began the saga of getting a block and the associated parts all in one spot, which took some time. Luckily I was able to find a virgin 2.0l block for the build, and after pulling it apart we realized that the engine was on borrowed time as it was. It had survived years of abuse at 400+hp.

The new build was based around a block that could make 650+ft-lbs of torque, as we plan on redoing the turbocharger setup next year. Here is a list of the parts used.....

Stock block, 1/2 fill with Moroso Block filler
ARP Main Studs
Manley Turbo Tuff connecting rods with custom age 625+ hardware
Manley Turbo Tuff HD pistons, 10:1 compression, Gas ported, .250" wrist pin.
Eagle Stock stroke crankshaft (ours was cracked)

GSC Beehive valve springs
GSC High-flow SS valves
Race valve grind and resurface of the head
Kiggly HLA

We also upgraded the injectors at this time to some 2200's.

Main focus was a block to hold big torque and the ability to spin it 9k if needed, that will put our top speed in second at around 78mph. The engine is back in the car and just a short time from being started.

During the downtime we also Installed a set of the SSB Designs 1.25" correction spindles. Luckily these new lower correction spindles clear out 16" wheel setup with the Wilwood calipers.

One of the really cool parts we worked on during our wait for engine parts was a new restrictor for our FP Green turbocharger. Josh designed the part, and my buddy at Metal Technologies Inc. printed it on their new carbon fiber printer. This part is super trick and "should" be able to take the heat of operating this close to the turbocharger. The clamping surfaces are nylon with fiberglass reinforcement, and the center is honeycomb carbon composite.

Zack
Old May 21, 2018, 08:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Look forward to your results. Glad to see I'm not the only one around still using a 2.0L lol
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Saw this and I almost thought it was your car lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-...0AAOSwBSxbISzk
Old Jun 26, 2018, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
I should read up on the rules for F-prepared. I might be competing in the class in a couple years. It would benefit my build to make sure its compliant with its rules.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru

I think 2.0l is the only thing you have to worry about when upgrading through the classes. Cant do a stroker or any 4G64 based block IIRC. You'll need a restrictor for FP but that can be added at any time.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

A full weekend of testing the car is finally under our belt. We had a fuel pump hangar issue the first day which had us scratching our heads, luckily using the logs we were able to determine it had to be a actual pump problem and not a horsepower flow limitation. We took apart the hangar and found the pump was pushing down on the rubber shim and becoming unseated. Luckily I found that part of my pneumatic rivet gun fit perfectly in there to hold the pump in place!

That fixed the fuel pressure issue. However we are still having a little trouble maintaining our ideal air fuel ratio as the batteries decrease in voltage. To help with this I have created a voltage offset fuel trim table in the Haltech, Using the logs I calculated the percentage of change per volt. This coupled with the closed-loop fueling ability of the computer should pretty much solve the problem.

The car seems to turn well, however we are probably going to spring the front down even more now with the change in balance. Very happy so far with the lockup characteristics of the OSGiken diff, it power oversteers beautifully on command, and seems very linear to throttle input. It looks like we need to go down on front camber for the asphalt, our -3* right now is showing a bit too much temp on the insides of the tires. I assume this setting will be close for asphalt however.

Packwood Tour coming up!

Thanks for following along!

Zack
Old Jun 27, 2018, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Saw this and I almost thought it was your car lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-...0AAOSwBSxbISzk
This car has been for sale for a long while. Its actually a reasonable start in the class for the price. Just hard for people to come up with that much scratch for a purpose built car. Unfortunately every year it sits it becomes less competitive..

Zack
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you mean less camber on concrete and more on asphalt? I burn through more inside front tire, but run primarily on asphalt. (But need to set up for Lincoln soon.)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigT
Do you mean less camber on concrete and more on asphalt? I burn through more inside front tire, but run primarily on asphalt. (But need to set up for Lincoln soon.)
Sorry if that was confusing. What I meant was the opposite.

We have too much camber currently for asphalt, but believe the setting will be pretty close on the higher grip concrete.

Zack
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

success

zack
Old Jul 16, 2018, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
wow, that thing looks like an absolute rocket.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 03:18 PM
EvoM Guru

On course its one of the few cars that when they hit the throttle you actually can see it accelerating. My car is capable of similar accel and Ive heard those comments before but this was the first time I've been able to see an Evo driven that hard and pull like that. And cause its not overly loud, you hear woooosh and watch it pull forward.

Its sorta hard to describe till you see it.

Quick Reply: The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.