Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2018 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Oh, you may be right. Was going off memory and i think I just lump SP/ST all together in my head because *not* SM
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
I need to replace some aging suspension bushings.

Are any of the rear bumpsteer correction offset bushings legal for STU?
Haven't been on this forum in a long while (more on that in a second) so I'm just seeing this and I also see it wasn't answered. Offset bushings are legal so long as the bushing doesn't contain any more metal.

And wouldn't you know, I have some front and rear suspension arms with fresh bushings but I've never installed the arms on the car. I have rear trailing arms with Whiteline offset bumpsteer bushing, and I also have low mileage front lower control arms with fresh bushings including the SuperPro offset bushing for additional caster. I feel like I have another arm with more bushings but need to check. I haven't listed them for sale yet and I'd prefer to help out a fellow STU'er so PM me if interested.

Why for all of the above? I now autocross my Mk7 GTI daily driver so I've only put 2,000 miles on my Evo this year, so I'm parting it out and selling it. For these bushings in particular, the purchase and install was done at the end of last season, then I decided to sell the car over Winter.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigT
Without open boost, how much power were you guys gaining going from 93 to 100? With stock boost hardware, I can't imagine the turbo spooling any faster. I'd rather have quicker torque down low on 93 octane with open boost vs 100 on stock boost.
I know this can be controversial on this board but I have a magic, perfectly-legal as verified by the SEB (or whatever group handles rules) downpipe which helped me make 320whp/ 300wtq on 93 octane on a Mustang dyno (which typically read a bit low, IIRC).

As mentioned in my previous post, I'm going to part out the car so I'd be willing to sell the downpipe and associated tune to a fellow STU'er. The tune was legal prior to open ECU (and I haven't changed it) but open ECU does help by permitting adjustment of boost cut which I'd get occasionally, especially on cold days when digging out of corners.

It's currently on the car and I don't have a replacement so I'd need some time to remove and replace it before shipping it. PM for more info and further discussion.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, our own BigT showed us how fast EVO X can be in ST trim by pulling fastest run on day two and finishing on the podium with the 3rd place trophy!

Looks like he brings more light to the heavier EVOs and confirms that they could hold their own next to the lighter ones! Perhaps more people will consider STU with EVO X in the future!

Very well done!!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i heard it was a cluster**** with the rain though, hence the AWD ST* cars dominating

congrats to dallas winning SM!! and evos destroying ASP as usual
Old Sep 6, 2018, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i heard it was a cluster**** with the rain though, hence the AWD ST* cars dominating

Tuesday was definitely a let down for me as I wasn't prepped for rain. I think in our heat for ASP, it was the worst conditions of the day. People were moving cones from the water splashing/moving from just driving by the cones.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I sucked on Tuesday with the rivers flowing through the East course, finishing 8th. Its more my fault. I need more wet practice. I had zero confidence and was super nervous with my first Nationals appearance. 1st in the dry conditions on Wednesday and the run was not perfect. 3rd overall.

The Evo X can absolutely contend in STU.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I wish I could have been there early Wednesday so I could watch Talha fly. Congrats again!

Oh and guys he did it in a 2015.......with the Lancer seats.

let that sink in for a moment .
Old Sep 10, 2018, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
are the X's now able to use tunes that adjust boost?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts

I sucked on Tuesday with the rivers flowing through the East course, finishing 8th. Its more my fault. I need more wet practice. I had zero confidence and was super nervous with my first Nationals appearance. 1st in the dry conditions on Wednesday and the run was not perfect. 3rd overall.

The Evo X can absolutely contend in STU.
Having confidence in the rain and understanding the driving difference was definitely a huge advantage for use guys coming from the PNW. We've had a weird year here with maybe half my events being wet and one practice session far wetter than Nats ever got this year. And dont worry about being nervous on your first nats trip, I was super nervous on mine also and did terrible day1. Next time itll be old news and you'll kill it

The following users liked this post:
BigT (Sep 17, 2018)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
are the X's now able to use tunes that adjust boost?
I believe so!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats once again to Talha and Doug for bringing home 3rd and 4th place, respectively! Hopefully we'll see more Evos in STU after this
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
And dont worry about being nervous on your first nats trip, I was super nervous on mine also and did terrible day1. Next time itll be old news and you'll kill it
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Dallas! I'm going to hunt you down next year so I don't miss ya again.

Originally Posted by Jim3142
Congrats once again to Talha and Doug for bringing home 3rd and 4th place, respectively! Hopefully we'll see more Evos in STU after this
Thanks, Jimmy. Congrats on your trophy win as well! If I can find a co-drive, I'm going to try and fly out for the Tour at Crows next year. Would be nice to autocross at such a good site. Hopefully see you again then.

Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Dallas! I'm going to hunt you down next year so I don't miss ya again.

Thanks, Jimmy. Congrats on your trophy win as well! If I can find a co-drive, I'm going to try and fly out for the Tour at Crows next year. Would be nice to autocross at such a good site. Hopefully see you again then.
Thanks! Hope to see you at Crows next year, let me know if you need to find a ride. My car might be open for next year, as well
Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any consensus on which wheel size and tire are most competitive for the CT9A in STU? I used to run 17x9.5 +38, but seems 18 dia is making a comeback.

-Ryan

Quick Reply: 2018 STU Discussion