Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA: Time Trials

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
SCCA: Time Trials

Surprised I'm not seeing anything here on SCCA's new Time Trials series:

Rules here: http://www.sccahq.com/time-trials-rules/

https://www.scca.com/pages/time-trials

I raised the question about whether JDM bumpers fall under Level 2's allowed modifications, and they are still debating:

Factory produced or OE replacement body parts (like hoods and bumpers) maybe used to facilitate other allowed modifications. You are allowed to do simple additions of style items, like factory produced lips and spoilers. Weight saving, or significant aero modifications are not allowed.
Factory produced, but weight savings

Write your letters!

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 21, 2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Is there a list of events yet?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

they are still forming the rules and requesting feedback. i imagine this is a 2019 thing
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

scratch that - level 2, cannot touch boost or wastegate in any way. so either you gotta not touch any boost (anyone here without a manual boost conotroller?) or run in the aftermarket turbo class.

while that may sound like a natural evolution from how STU and SP classes progressed for autocross, that doesn't seem to make any sense for track. who's going to keep their boost stock?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

going to add this here:

https://www.scca.com/forms/time-trials-feedback

given the lack of response i doubt anyone really cares about SCCA Time Trials at this point, BUT, if you do plan on racing in the series, and want to be run stock turbo with a manual boost controller, i'd suggest writing in. right now your options are stock-ish (Level 1), suspension but don't touch boost, don't use an MBC, etc. (Level 2), or go aftermarket turbo & beyond (Level 3).

for most guys out there running an MBC on their stock turbo, with mild bolt on's, Level 2 is the place to be - except you can't run your MBC, boost pill restrictor, etc. Write in that Level 2 should allow manual boost controllers!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 08:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
I have always been interested in Time Attack, I just have seen too many T/A series come and go so I can see it being hard to justify putting energy into it. Definitely a chicken/egg scenario.

The PNW has really sucked for these kinds of events where we mostly just run track days and have a fair amount of motorcycle racing. Though chump car and the variant have done surprisingly well here.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

true, but i think scca is a bit more reliable as far as putting forward something and investing in it.

also tends to result in other groups popping up. i enjoy hpde but there's no race aspect to hit. i actually LOVE the Level 2 rules, it just needs open boost
Old Feb 23, 2018, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Seems like a huge jump between class 2 and class 3. I hope that it takes off, I will be keeping my eyes out for it!

Zack
Old Feb 23, 2018, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

write a letter to allow open boost in level 2!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm considering doing some NASA TT this year. As someone who is interested in TT, the SCCA TT proposed ruleset doesn't attract me even slightly.

I wrote a scathing feedback on the proposed ruleset of SCCA TT. Again the SCCA has completely missed the boat and has no clue on how to attract people to their events. It's because they push people with commonly used mods into retarded high classes. The level and classing proposed are asinine. When are they going to learn?

Classes within levels should be divided by power/weight ratio, simple. Who cares how you get there as long as you have a reading from a dyno. MBC, header, intake, supercharger, who cares.

Eg: F class 13:1, E class 12:1 etc .... adjust it a little based on the weight of the car and tire width they run. Eg: F class standard is 13:1, but if you car is under 3000lb but over 2500lb you can run a max of 13.1:1 or something. If your car is under 2500lb but over 2000lb you can run a max of 13.2:1, etc ...

Then the levels should determined by tires and mods.
Eg: Level 1 or "street" should is all production cars on street tires, open suspension, no aero.
Level 2 can be prepared all production car with R-comp tires and aero.
Level 3 can be modified with sky is the limit when it comes to building.

I doubt they will do that and as the rules stand they don't even interest me slightly. I doubt they will interest most of the common car enthusiasts.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds fun, but SCCA will kill it with a million rules.

edit- I take that back, it doesn't look that bad. haha, ...for now.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Level 2 really doesn't look bad at all, save for the no-boost rule, which I have been pushing hard for them to change, and hopefully others do also. if it is open boost, it is going to be a fun place to play with good parity

the problem with scca is more about stuff like jdm rear bumpers, throwing you into crazy classes. the rational makes sense, ie they want to make a random mod not a "must have" but i agree that they should adopt general weights of cars, not part-by-part weights and if its lighter u cant have it
Old Feb 24, 2018, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
built engines move the car to level 3 so i am out for now. level 3 needs hill climb safety
Old Feb 26, 2018, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

bumping this - regardless of how you guys feel, and what letters you write in - would greatly appreciate if you could write in to allow manual boost controllers & jdm/edm rear bumpers in Level 2.

i was thinking about the power/weight thing and, think it will be interesting to see SCCA's take on time trials with an extremely rule-based system. if it were exactly the same as how other clubs set up their rules there would be no difference. obviously many of these rules currently need tweaking though
Old Feb 27, 2018, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think they had two options. Duplicate the Solo ruleset and let the cone boys run on real tracks or do a weightower ratio class structure like NASA. Instead they formed their own random classing. I don't see SCCA Time Trials approaching the level of NASA, GTA, Gridlife, or Optima anytime soon. I want to attack time where there is competition. I don't care what organization that is, but I want a simple ruleset where I understand what I need to build to be competitive. In NASA you build to the ratio and run Hoosier A7/R7.
The following users liked this post:
DaWorstPlaya (Feb 27, 2018)

Quick Reply: SCCA: Time Trials