Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Let’s talk stand alone - specifically AEM/Infinity

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Let’s talk stand alone - specifically AEM/Infinity

Hey all,

any racers running the Infinity/AEM with CD7L dash? I’m looking into it. No experience with any stand alone ECU. Anyone care to share your experience? I’m caught between stock ECU $600 retunes or maximizing my new build with better mapping and features. 🤔
Old Apr 27, 2018, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I was between this and a Haltech....Ended going Haltech cause I got a killer deal on it. Can't go wrong with the AEM unit. All the fail safes are worth every penny IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kidloco51:
Driv200 (May 3, 2018), jedibow (Apr 27, 2018)
Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been considering the infinity as well
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Driv200
Hey all,

any racers running the Infinity/AEM with CD7L dash? I’m looking into it. No experience with any stand alone ECU. Anyone care to share your experience? I’m caught between stock ECU $600 retunes or maximizing my new build with better mapping and features. ��
$600 retunes? Holy ****

Anyways. The Infinity is a solid upgrade. You will want to change the crank trigger out for a 12 tooth though (for best startup, as well as full knock control), kiggly sells a kit. So, you'll have some work to do besides just installing the ECU. But if you have the cash, I would definitely say go for it.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Apr 28, 2018 at 09:00 AM.
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 03:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Just curious...why would expect retunes to be less with a standalone? I think a big question is whether your tuner has experience with whatever ECU you are considering. You don’t want them to learn on your car. Also, beware of difficulty with emissions testing without the stock ECU.
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 08:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
If your paying $600 for re-tunes, you would be best served by learning to tune. Or at least to make adjustments from a baseline to fueling after changing things.
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Just curious...why would expect retunes to be less with a standalone? I think a big question is whether your tuner has experience with whatever ECU you are considering. You don’t want them to learn on your car. Also, beware of difficulty with emissions testing without the stock ECU.
A stand alone wouldn't need retunes. It can run full time closed loop (AFR targeting), and you can just adjust boost from there. The infinity also has a map switch with the ability to switch between 10 or 12 maps on the fly. So, it's a much more one and done type deal if your engine/fuel system/turbo doesn't change.
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
A stand alone wouldn't need retunes. It can run full time closed loop (AFR targeting), and you can just adjust boost from there. The infinity also has a map switch with the ability to switch between 10 or 12 maps on the fly. So, it's a much more one and done type deal if your engine/fuel system/turbo doesn't change.
i was assuming that OP’s retunes were for changes to the mechanical setup, not just a tweak for weather, etc.
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
i was assuming that OP’s retunes were for changes to the mechanical setup, not just a tweak for weather, etc.
Not sure. I've heard of people paying more for less lol
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old May 1, 2018, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
How good is the AFR targeting on modern standalones? Is it only useful for feedback on dialing in maps? Or do people actually trust it full time to manage their tunes?
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old May 1, 2018, 10:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
How good is the AFR targeting on modern standalones? Is it only useful for feedback on dialing in maps? Or do people actually trust it full time to manage their tunes?
The car should still be fully tuned. Kind of like the stock ECU has closed loop trims for idle and cruise, but you still tune the car to dial those in to get pretty close to zero. Withj the stand alones you can choose to run it in open or closed loop, and you can choose how much range of adjustment it has as well. It's certainly very capable. If running full time closed loop, I would have the oxygen sensor be part of the routine maintenance schedule for replacement.
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old May 1, 2018, 01:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Will it interpolate surrounding cells that are hard to get when dialing things in but may be seen in areas like on a road course? Stuff like high RPM with low load (holding speed in a sweeper for instance). I dont know how well the autotune stuff dials in cells you dont hit often or easily. Also, it makes music sounds stupid
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old May 1, 2018, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
$600 for retunes? Damn I am doing something wrong with my pricing then... I'm almost afraid to ask how much the initial tune cost.

Anybody adept with AEM, MOTEC, etc would probably charge less to *re*tune with them as they are a million times easier than most Mitsubishi stock ECU's.

It's really a bummer Mitsubishi never went to wideband closed-loop strategy.

Tuning my Fiesta ST is so much easier than Mitsubishis.
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old May 3, 2018, 04:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
I just made a video where RS motors touched on using the AEM infiniti stand alone.
(time stamp, 5min 4 seconds)

Ronnie spoke more about it but i cut it down for time. Ronnie though one of the biggest advantages will be how easy it is to adjust boost setting to control power level for track different conditions.
Probably just a good race team for you to follow and see how they progress with it since its new to them.
Driv200 (May 3, 2018)
Old May 3, 2018, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
$600 retunes? Holy ****

Anyways. The Infinity is a solid upgrade. You will want to change the crank trigger out for a 12 tooth though (for best startup, as well as full knock control), kiggly sells a kit. So, you'll have some work to do besides just installing the ECU. But if you have the cash, I would definitely say go for it.
Are there two triggers (cam and crank) or just one? Thanks for the kiggly tip. I can't believe the AEM/Infinity kits don't come with these included? I have asked several of the vendors sales reps and none of them have been able to answer this question. LOL!

Great RS video! Thanks for sharing. Always learn a lot from you guys. Can't wait to meet at an event. Might even let Smedgard behind the wheel of my car. Ha!
* Great to hear $600 re-tunes on stock ECU are a shock to all of you too! I think repeat follow up tunes run me $500 locally who uses a E-tune service???
* These prices push me towards the AEM/Infinity stuff, but learned today English Racing priced me at $5000 and said it would be $1000 for base stand alone tune???
* This makes an initial $600 new engine tune on stock ECU sound great afterall.

Probably just run the stock ECU tune until I can recoup some savings after this latest round of upgrades. Whew!

After jumping off the cliff and getting the Dry Sump, 4g64 block, knife edge crank, pistons, etc.....Whats another $6000? Clearly I am in the wrong business. My NASA, Bio-Chem, and MD degrees don't profit as much as ECU systems and retunes. LOL!

Last edited by Driv200; May 3, 2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: delete extra words and additions

Quick Reply: Let’s talk stand alone - specifically AEM/Infinity