Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

New setup. Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Not to hijack a thread, i see you are in Florida, where do you AutoX, i am pretty new to Floridas car scene and want to setup my car one day for this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
What part of FL are you located?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by huzzle101
Not to hijack a thread, i see you are in Florida, where do you AutoX, i am pretty new to Floridas car scene and want to setup my car one day for this.
Florida has AutoX groups all over. I am in SE FL, I run with Equipe Rapide, Porsche Club and Street Racing Made Safe down here. There is also Gulf Coast Auto Crossers on the west coast, FIRM up north, and plenty of others too. Facebook seems to be the best place for finding out about the next events, for me at least. Welcome!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J

Understeer out of corners is partially your front diff and possibly driver induced. Rolling into throttle smoother and earlier seems to make quite a bit of difference on the cars attitude on corner exit. Difference between RS and wavetrac is the wavetrac wont break and destroy your t-case. 1way clutch is better, but torsen is ok. Will cause high steering angle push off throttle. Clutch will be open off throttle and lock up better on throttle. Its not an insignificant improvement over the torsen but unfortunately the Mfactory 1way isnt available right now and the cusco is >2k.
Dallas,

I have leads on the following front diffs. Which would you recommend?

RS - Pros: cheapest by far; Cons: might explode? (even at my power level <400/400?)
Quaife - Pros: local deal available, lifetime transferrable warranty; Cons: ??
Wavetrac - Pros: readily available BNIB; Cons: ??
MFactory 1.0 - Pros: one of the best from what I have read ; Cons: more $$, International shipping, and plate wear
MFactory helical - any info on this? didn't know they made this

I am non-ACD, I believe that matters, not quite sure how tho.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
100% would pick Mfactory 1.0 from that list. I had both Wavetrac and MFactory, tried both, sold Wavetrac.

100% would never put a OEM front LSD on a 400hp/tq car. That's more than enough to break it and the damage it'll do will far exceed the difference in a getting a stronger diff now. If you look on TRE's IG page, he has pictures of die penetration tests showing the crack propagation area.
The following users liked this post:
SilviaVsSupra (Sep 25, 2018)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also Auto-X in South Florida, and wouldn't recommend you making too many setup changes based on that BB&T parking lot. it is bumpy and has loose asphalt and sand all over. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by piper971
I also Auto-X in South Florida, and wouldn't recommend you making too many setup changes based on that BB&T parking lot. it is bumpy and has loose asphalt and sand all over. Just my opinion.
Fair point. Hope to see you out at the SRMS event in October
Old Sep 25, 2018, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
What part of FL are you located?
Not sure if asking me but i am in Sunrise/Broward area
Old Sep 26, 2018, 06:04 AM

Not sure if asking me but i am in Sunrise/Broward area
Ah, you're right here! Hope to see you at the SRMS event @ HMS in October. They do drag on Friday and AutoX on Sunday
Old Sep 26, 2018, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilviaVsSupra
Ah, you're right here! Hope to see you at the SRMS event @ HMS in October. They do drag on Friday and AutoX on Sunday
Just looked that up are you speaking of the event in Homestead.

https://sofloautoevents.com/cars/
Old Sep 27, 2018, 04:39 AM

Just looked that up are you speaking of the event in Homestead.

https://sofloautoevents.com/cars/

yep, that’s it. October 14th

Long as it doesn’t rain, again, it will be a fun event.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 09:12 AM

My plan is to make small tweaks to get the rear more active. Next event is on a flat go-kart course, so a better baseline course as piper971 mentioned.

Going to stiffen the rear tire carcasses with more psi's, maximus damperingus, remove the extra camber, maybe try a bar adjustment if I still cant get the rear to move.
After that weekend I'm pulling the rear diff to do the 12 plate. Front probably wont happen for a little while =(

Was wondering if a little rear-toe-out would help the rear end want to come out a bit more as well. Can anybody comment on that?
Currently the toe is 0* F&R and have no oversteer unless I trail brake really hard, transitions are great, and no tripod! So its pretty close to amazing, rear is just a bit too planted.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SilviaVsSupra
My plan is to make small tweaks to get the rear more active. Next event is on a flat go-kart course, so a better baseline course as piper971 mentioned.

Going to stiffen the rear tire carcasses with more psi's, maximus damperingus, remove the extra camber, maybe try a bar adjustment if I still cant get the rear to move.
After that weekend I'm pulling the rear diff to do the 12 plate. Front probably wont happen for a little while =(

Was wondering if a little rear-toe-out would help the rear end want to come out a bit more as well. Can anybody comment on that?
Currently the toe is 0* F&R and have no oversteer unless I trail brake really hard, transitions are great, and no tripod! So its pretty close to amazing, rear is just a bit too planted.
Rear toe out is a dangerous way of fixing the problem that you are trying to solve. It will create less stable rear end and it will start to do strange things when you accelerating and braking. It sure will help with making rear end to come out a bit more, but you might get more than you asked for.
Perhaps, a bit of extra rebound in the rear would give you the effect you are trying to get without creating anything strange.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 07:58 AM

Updates:

I added the Weir 12 plate rear LSD, got the opposite of what I was looking for. Car had even more understeer bc the diff was too locked for me to turn-in, and then understeered on the way out too (I think this last part is at least partially due to the amount of rear tire grip and the lack of front LSD).
Got some suggestions here that the diff slide plates may be backwards, causing it to lock fully on decel and only partially on accel. So I swapped back to street tires and am currently trying to verify what it is doing, still not 100% sure since I cant really unleash this thing on the streets. It does oversteer a bit more out of turns now but not like I was expecting. Trying to find a big lot to do circles in. If anyone can tell me an easy way to further verify its engagement is or is not correct, before breaking open the diff to visually check, that would be great.

I also am coming to terms that the c71 slicks is too much for the rest of the setup, so I am going back to a street tire. Plan is a 275/40/17 Toyo R888R, since it is either that or the NT01 and from what I've gathered, the 888r does slightly better at autoX. (car sees mostly autox and maybe 1 or 2 track days per year)

Still trying make the front LSD happen too. Open front diff is a huge bag of suck. Not sure which is my best option yet either. I see now how delicate the balance of part selection and LSD actions, can make on the car.

Open to all feedback.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 08:23 AM

Ended up with a set of 255 Sport Cup 2's
Expecting to raise tire pressures and decrease camber just a bit, can anybody confirm?

I'm still thinking, based on how little oversteer I can produce, the rear diff plates are probably backwards, so I am going to get in there first chance I get. Still have my fingers crossed for a holiday deal on a front LSD as well.

Quick Reply: New setup. Where to start?