Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Going into ABS?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You have to be able to quickly reach that threshold though. It definitely takes a lot of practice and training.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 05:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
i used to hit it occasionally on initial braking into a tight turn if i applied too much pedal pressure but it just does a little skip then your fine. it doesnt really work like a motorsport ABS system like Motec etc as its only really designed to work when ur in a full panic and the brakes hard on the firewall and your wheels are completely locked. Its not really designed to regulate minor lockups under normal braking like a motorsport ABS system is. With a Motec system it will be able to be tuned so u can find that absolute limit of threshold and prevent those minor pinches of the brake. factory ABS wont give u that.

I had to remove my ABS completely when i went to slicks as it couldnt figure out wtf was going on when they were cold and u tried to warm them up due to having such little grip it would assume you had locked a wheel and ABS would kick in preventing you from braking hard enough to warm up the tyres n brakes. real weird feeling. Couple other people who race evos down here on slicks had same issue. Its not an issue if ur still on DOT tyres however. my hankook z221s never did it. only slicks.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:15 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
i used to hit it occasionally on initial braking into a tight turn if i applied too much pedal pressure but it just does a little skip then your fine. it doesnt really work like a motorsport ABS system like Motec etc as its only really designed to work when ur in a full panic and the brakes hard on the firewall and your wheels are completely locked. Its not really designed to regulate minor lockups under normal braking like a motorsport ABS system is. With a Motec system it will be able to be tuned so u can find that absolute limit of threshold and prevent those minor pinches of the brake. factory ABS wont give u that.

I had to remove my ABS completely when i went to slicks as it couldnt figure out wtf was going on when they were cold and u tried to warm them up due to having such little grip it would assume you had locked a wheel and ABS would kick in preventing you from braking hard enough to warm up the tyres n brakes. real weird feeling. Couple other people who race evos down here on slicks had same issue. Its not an issue if ur still on DOT tyres however. my hankook z221s never did it. only slicks.
I actually wondered about that when considering a set of slicks. I wasn't sure how ABS would react.
Also, I REALLY like the idea of tunable ABS. You could learn the threshold without flat spotting tires. 😂
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
You guys should get an RS. My years of driving So. Cal tracks, never missed having ABS

Not that im an expert, but you quickly learn threshold braking techniques (never have flat spotted a tire)

Seems like practicing threshold braking w/ABS would cause you to enter a corner w/less speed, so the ABS trigger point is not reached.

But maybe you guys are relying on the ABS activation & incorporate that into the lap?

Side note: Really dislike having ABS on my DD road car (ABS triggers too often for my liking)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Sep 14, 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:58 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
You guys should get an RS. My years of driving So. Cal tracks, never missed having ABS

Not that im an expert, but you quickly learn threshold braking techniques (never have flat spotted a tire)

Seems like practicing threshold braking w/ABS would cause you to enter a corner w/less speed, so the ABS trigger point is not reached.

But maybe you guys are relying on the ABS activation & incorporate that into the lap?

Side note: Really dislike having ABS on my DD road car (ABS triggers too often for my liking)
An RS wasn't avail when I was shopping. I wish, though..... ABS kicks in before it really needs to, so it can't have the amount of braking force a non-ABS car will. For a really skilled driver, I can see that being an issue. I'd like to think I could get to that point, some day; to where it could make a difference in my lap times. With my current skill level and car setup... meh...
As we mentioned above, none of us are getting into ABS during our track time. So far, not incorporating it.
What kind of surface do you drive on to for ABS to activate so much while daily driving? I've never had ABS kick in on any of my cars (I have a '12 Civic and '00 Civic), though living in CA helps; the roads are pretty much always optimal.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 01:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by kaj
An RS wasn't avail when I was shopping. I wish, though
What kind of surface do you drive on to for ABS to activate so much while daily driving? I've never had ABS kick in on any of my cars (I have a '12 Civic and '00 Civic), though living in CA helps; the roads are pretty much always optimal.
Point no. 1 = My RS is not for sale, OK?
Point no. 2 = I have coilovers on my daily & drive kinda hard, at times, & i trigger both ABS during hard braking & the stability system while corning
Old Sep 14, 2018, 01:30 PM
kaj

Point no. 1 = My RS is not for sale, OK?
Point no. 2 = I have coilovers on my daily & drive kinda hard, at times, & i trigger both ABS during hard braking & the stability system while corning
1. You said nothing about TRADES.
2. Dude, that's not daily driving :P
Old Sep 15, 2018, 01:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Jason

Bumped into Ken Thwaits at Fontana today & got to see his car up close & personal (amazing)

This is a 2006 RS. They added ABS

When i left he had posted the quickest AX time

Old Sep 15, 2018, 07:10 PM
kaj

Jason

Bumped into Ken Thwaits at Fontana today & got to see his car up close & personal (amazing)

This is a 2006 RS. They added ABS

When i left he had posted the quickest AX time

Tunable?
At today's event, I got hard on the brakes and used all kinki of ABS, just to see what would happen. I don't think it was faster. I think I'd rather have a higher threshold before it kicks in. 255 NT01s
Old Sep 15, 2018, 07:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by kaj
Tunable?
At today's event, I got hard on the brakes and used all kinki of ABS, just to see what would happen. I don't think it was faster. I think I'd rather have a higher threshold before it kicks in. 255 NT01s
I only asked one their crewmen about it. He just noted that Ken is a late braker & prefers ABS on his EvO. I talked to Ken quite a bit but didnt think about asking him about it (darn it!!). He won his class today & was 2nd quickest overall. There were some super fast cars competing (high WHP / 600 & up)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 07:56 PM
kaj

I only asked one their crewmen about it. He just noted that Ken is a late braker & prefers ABS on his EvO. I talked to Ken quite a bit but didnt think about asking him about it (darn it!!). He won his class today & was 2nd quickest overall. There were some super fast cars competing (high WHP / 600 & up)
Today, I beat a McLaren P1, 720s, and an Ariel Atom for FTD, around a small road course (.75mi kart track lol). Won $50. 😂
Old Sep 15, 2018, 07:57 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by kaj
Today, I beat a McLaren P1, 720s, and an Ariel Atom for FTD, around a small road course (.75mi kart track lol). Won $50. 😂
Way to go Jason. Making us EvO owners proud out there. Such a worthy car on the track
Old Sep 15, 2018, 08:16 PM
kaj

Way to go Jason. Making us EvO owners proud out there. Such a worthy car on the track
Gotta rep the Evo community. 😂 it's My favorite car, so far. I drove the Atom. That thing is a hand full on skinny tires. I only got two runs, but was creeping up on the owner's time. I think I may have been able to catch him. A rewarding car to drive ,no doubt.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 03:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I have an RS too, so no ABS, but I’ve tracked and autocrossed with an ABS car too. I like the fact that no ABS is predictable, as I hate the feeling of ABS when it kicks in in motorsports driving (usually on an uneven, rough surface). I feel similarly about stability control and traction control. However, I know that some of the fast guys add it back to the RS, so I assume it’s useful if you are a good enough driver. Honda-guy comes to mind as a local (to this board) example.

One thing I like in particular about not having ABS on track though, is knowing that if I ever get so sideways in a fast turn that I can’t save it, that if I go both feet in, the car will slide in a straight and predictable line. That’s never happened to me, but I’m worried more about contact with other cars and walls than I am about lap times and flat spotting tires. A car with ABS will always slide in some sort of arc with both feet in (if car is not braking from a straight line) simply because the wheels will keep turning.

ABS is great for wet conditions, street panic stops and driving unfamiliar cars at (and beyond) the limit though. I’m doing the BMW Ultimate Driver national runoff thing sometime this winter and I’m sure I never would have qualified without abundant use of the ABS in the X2 that I drove locally. I think I nearly pushed the brake pedal through the floorboard in the stop box!

Old Sep 18, 2018, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
I have had problems with ABS on track in some really bumpy braking zones where the ABS would go into some kind of snow mode and cut down dramatically on brake force... got into the gravel trap once. Some Porsche GT3s had simmilar issues so it is a known problem.
We cant really just pull the abs fuse as the abs does the job of brake ballance, but I am investigating the deletion of ABS and brake booster for my next brake setup..