Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Interest Thread: Functional Evo Specific Aero Parts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Interest Thread: Functional Evo Specific Aero Parts

Okay guys so as some of you know I've been working on a front splitter for the 8/9. Last night we made some pretty good headway on the prototype that will be run on @V.8MR's car. I've designed these splitters with a multitude of options that result in over 200 possible combinations so every one is customer tailored to what each customer wants.

The splitter is made from 10mm alumalite, the air dam is 1/16" aluminum sheet, the diffusers are sourced from Professional Awesome, everything is riveted together so there is zero chances of things falling apart at speed. It's all produced with a CNC table so they're all cut perfectly to within a few thousandths of an inch, no backyard cut by hand stuff here 🙂

Marc opted for a 5" extension length but the design accommodates up to 11". We still need to tie up edge treatment, getting the endplates cut out and finalize things with another shop to get all the bracketry produced.

I've also been talking with Nine Lives Racing about producing a wing kit for evos. Their prices blow APR and other stuff out of the water and their designs are CFD tested. I'm not sure if NLR plans to make an entire kit but if they don't I'll be offering uprights to use with their wings, will include standard trunk mounts and swan neck mounts as well as potentially a chassis mount option.

Towards the end of the season I'll also be getting the ball rolling on a proper rear diffuser for the car which will be a winter project. I'll post up some renderings of that after I've polished the design a bit more over the next couple weeks.

But back to splitter stuff, if you guys are interested in these let me know. I'm trying to get a list of people together to do a small run of them in the near future. Not talking any money stuff here, if you're curious about that then shoot me a message, I'm not a vendor here and don't want to step on any toes. I'll be posting up a document that goes into detail for all the options about the splitter etc. It needs some updates since I put it together but I'll try to get that posted here for you guys in the next couple days.

Without further adieu, here's where we ended up last night with the splitter:

Last edited by Ayoustin; Jun 7, 2019 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rocknsnoboarder (Jun 7, 2019)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Oh yea, and Marc's splitter weighs in at 12lbs. After endplates, skid blocks and brackets it should end up around 15lbs.

Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Interested in rear wing options!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
What are you thinking the cost is going to be on this? We haven't had any issues with our small group selling stuff in here.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What are you thinking the cost is going to be on this? We haven't had any issues with our small group selling stuff in here.
Cost will vary very heavily based on options. Marc's would be somewhere in the mid $600 area. It might sound steep to some but material cost is pretty high plus I have to pay two shops for all the cnc work on the base piece and bracketry.

A basic piece without much in options would probably in around the low-mid $500 area and a bells and whistles piece could go over $800. I still also need to figure out a cost effective way to ship too.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How are you attaching to the bumper? I've been debating removing my Beatrush tray for a proper splitter.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

It doesn't mount to the bumper. It would probably rip the bumper off due to downforce.
Mounts via brakets to the frame rails and unibody.

Last edited by V.8MR; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
It doesn't mount to the bumper. It would probably rip the bumper off due to downforce.
Mounts via brakets to the frame rails and unibody.
Sorry, I should have phrased differently. I realize it is supported via the frame. I didn't know if you were also attaching it to the bumper itself in any way.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by rocknsnoboarder
How are you attaching to the bumper? I've been debating removing my Beatrush tray for a proper splitter.
Everything is mounted to the frame rails and core support. The splitter itself remains separate from the bumper. Once I've finalized the work flow with this other shop I will post up pics of the brackets and where/how it all mounts up. Permanent modifications are extremely minimal.

It's kept separate from the bumper so if you have to get underneath the car to service something it doesn't require you to remove the bumper too.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru

No Sir. Doesn't attach to the bumper at all. Though it does support the bumper and help reduce sag.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Clean cuts, worth it just in that area. Also in for your edging solution, most of us have alumalite/plywood so a thin, stiff, adhesive backed solution in 6, 10, etc thickness's is ideal if sold separately. The normal "edging" material you can get is more for door frames and pushes the back of the edge up and down too much. Beginning on a flat bottom should be next too.

Also should come back to the first two mounting holes in the subframe/cross brace area-ish.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 05:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Clean cuts, worth it just in that area. Also in for your edging solution, most of us have alumalite/plywood so a thin, stiff, adhesive backed solution in 6, 10, etc thickness's is ideal if sold separately. The normal "edging" material you can get is more for door frames and pushes the back of the edge up and down too much. Beginning on a flat bottom should be next too.

Also should come back to the first two mounting holes in the subframe/cross brace area-ish.
I'll for sure let you guys know what I do for edging.

I don't think there's a big enough of a market for flat underbodies. They're fairly high in material cost, extremely hard to ship and not allowed in really any classes except the unlimited stuff.

The brackets attach to the mounting point you're referring to but the splitter itself doesn't go that far because then it'd be behind the front axle which would make it illegal for lots of classes.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sub’d.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Interested to see how this turns out.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Once the shape is solid, would you (or someone) have access to start building 3d carbon ones?

Quick Reply: Interest Thread: Functional Evo Specific Aero Parts