Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Lol, my thoughts exactly. I drove my buddies 1988 Carrera and did not like the feel whatsoever. Could just be a matter of getting used to but it just felt so unnatural and awkward.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Ive driven a 240z and 914 (both obsurdly modified race only cars) with floor mounts. Not once did I think it was a hindrance in any way or felt weird.

Edit: I was wrong in the 240z, they were hanging. And it wasnt a 240, its a 280... oops.

https://www.instagram.com/brokenjawracing/
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i imagine if you've got floor mount it and the seating position have to be perfectly fitted to you
Old Jan 14, 2019, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I feel like the same can be said for any seat and pedal assembly. Dont get me wrong, a floor mounted box seems to be like legit real race car setup so not saying its not ideal. Just from my limited experience I didn't care for it but that's merely bc I wasn't used to it.

That being said, I dont think the pedal setup on the evo is all that bad; gas pedal is a little low relative to the brake but I have no issues with heel-toe. Unless I were to play around with brake bias I'm nowhere near the point of considering a pedal box.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I prefer hanging pedals because I feel it's easier to control pedals with the ***** of my feet and with the floor mounted stuff I find that my heels get in the way a bit which makes it feel clumsier. I'm sure I could adapt to it but I have no issue with hanging pedal setups so no reason to change it.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 04:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I feel like I'm having to point my toes awkwardly, to avoid my heels pushing ,with floor mount. Maybe just something I'd have to get over/used to.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 06:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
i think its got to do with seat position etc. my seat is almost on the floor and i lay quite a long way back with my legs almost straight so its comfortable for me.

The main motivation for going to the pedal box was to run dual masters. when we put the AP 6 pots on the front we couldnt get the brake balance right front to rear and no matter what we were pinching rears.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 08:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Floor mounted throttle is the business. Could care less about the clutch and brake pedal.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
I thought the Optima batteries were smaller than the OEM battery?

OEM battery (75D23L or Group 35) is has a footprint around 9" x 6.9". Flip the Deka ETX20L on its side and it has a footprint of 6.9" x 6.2".

Stock battery hold-down bracket goes across the 6.9" dimension, so it drops right on top of the ETX20L. You do need shorter J-hooks and a way to extend the negative battery lead, though.

I'll try to remember to grab a picture next time I'm in the garage.
@Construct what terminals did you use for your setup?

Amazon Amazon

would these bolt in?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
@Construct what terminals did you use for your setup?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QCBM28/

would these bolt in?
Yes, I think so. I ordered a similar set of SAE terminals marketed for Odyssey batteries. The exact product I ordered isn't available on Amazon any more, but those look identical from the pictures.

I attached the posts to the side of the battery terminals, not the top, so I could lay the battery flat.

You will also need to extend the negative battery wire if you're going to lay the battery flat. The positive terminal fits, but I had to extend the negative terminal and route it underneath the battery.

Sorry, I still haven't taken engine bay photos. I haven't driven the Evo in a quite a while.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I think so. I ordered a similar set of SAE terminals marketed for Odyssey batteries. The exact product I ordered isn't available on Amazon any more, but those look identical from the pictures.

I attached the posts to the side of the battery terminals, not the top, so I could lay the battery flat.

You will also need to extend the negative battery wire if you're going to lay the battery flat. The positive terminal fits, but I had to extend the negative terminal and route it underneath the battery.

Sorry, I still haven't taken engine bay photos. I haven't driven the Evo in a quite a while.
Understood - I'm going to just lay it upright like a normal battery so I should be fine on that front.

btw, how's the capacity? can it be left off the trickle for a few days, in & outs of the car, etc?

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 23, 2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
btw, how's the capacity? can it be left off the trickle for a few days, in & outs of the car, etc?
I drive the Evo once or twice a week in the summer without attaching a trickle charger. I attach the charger if the car is going to sit for more than a week.

My Evo pulls around 18mA from the battery when it's turned off. That seems like a lot, but I suspect my cheap Prosport gauges and/or the PLX wideband might have something to do with it. That's about 0.5AH per day. The ETX20L is nominally rated 17.5AH, but lead-acid batteries don't take well to deep cycling and very cold temperatures would cut that number in half. In theory, letting my car sit for a week would drain 20-40% of the battery's capacity depending on the season. That's acceptable, but not great.

If I pull yellow fuse holder up in the engine bay the draw is less than 1mA. If I have to leave the Evo anywhere without a charger, I just pull that fuse block up in the engine bay and I don't have to worry about it at all.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jan 24, 2019)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

I drive the Evo once or twice a week in the summer without attaching a trickle charger. I attach the charger if the car is going to sit for more than a week.

My Evo pulls around 18mA from the battery when it's turned off. That seems like a lot, but I suspect my cheap Prosport gauges and/or the PLX wideband might have something to do with it. That's about 0.5AH per day. The ETX20L is nominally rated 17.5AH, but lead-acid batteries don't take well to deep cycling and very cold temperatures would cut that number in half. In theory, letting my car sit for a week would drain 20-40% of the battery's capacity depending on the season. That's acceptable, but not great.

If I pull yellow fuse holder up in the engine bay the draw is less than 1mA. If I have to leave the Evo anywhere without a charger, I just pull that fuse block up in the engine bay and I don't have to worry about it at all.
not bad. i've got a headunit that doesn't draw very much, so the only thing would be the viper but my car will literally always be on a trickle, or if i'm traveling it won't be left alone more than a day
Old Jan 24, 2019, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

are there better, slightly fatter battery terminals than those though? the ones on more normal batteries are the fat grey ones, i need to use aluminum foil to get the posts on those cone-shaped sae terminals tight. anything more like a cylinder shape?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

are there better, slightly fatter battery terminals than those though? the ones on more normal batteries are the fat grey ones, i need to use aluminum foil to get the posts on those cone-shaped sae terminals tight. anything more like a cylinder shape?
FYI this is what I found for a solution:
Amazon Amazon
obviously there's going to be a marginal amount of resistance with anything like this, but I haven't really found that the brass SAE terminals fit the evo's adapters well.

additionally, I may instead go with the ETX18L, which is ironically a little bigger than the ETX20L, with 340cca & 20ah @ 18lbs vs the ETX20L with 310cca @ 17.5ah @ 15.5lbs. these are marginal bits but regardless will be lighter than the D51 I purchased.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?