Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Son of a.... X3

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 09:42 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Son of a.... X3

For the third time, my track day was cut short due to my Monoloc popping out of the pressure plate.
1. It's possible I didn't readjust my fork stop after breaking in the new clutch.
2. Using an ACT TOB, Monoloc, and two wave washers
3. What can I do, other than welding the Monoloc to the f'ing PP?
4. Is it possible to cut a large inspection cover into the bell housing in order to snap the Monoloc back in, then machine a cover that bolts on? I can't remember if the input shaft has to come all the way out.
5. I'm told the OEM TOB tends to stay in better. I ordered one, just in case, because I'm tired of this. Any truth to this?
6. Any other ideas?
7. I'm tired of R&Ring this trans. Anyone wanna do it for me?

Thanks, in advance.
Old May 6, 2019, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Well that sucks. Back in the day all I heard was stories about ACT's tob popping out (pre monolok though) so I've always used OEM until this last round he put in the Exedy one.
Old May 6, 2019, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Use New OEM TOB and try a new Monoloc collar if you keep re-using the same one. And keep grease off the wedge collar during install.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:08 AM
kaj

I didn't have this problem until using aftermarket TOBs that came with clutches. So that makes sense. New OEM part is on the way.
I have two used Monolocs...maybe I should try a new one. I think they sell them separately, now.
I don't think I've gotten grease on the wedge collar, but I could have accidentally. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Thanks, all! I'd click the "thanks" button, but I'm on the mobile site.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I thought that was just common knowlege to never use anything but OEM TOB? Ive had the monoloc for probably 7 years thru 3 clutches and never had one pop off. Nothing special on mine too. Just the standard 2 washers, OEM TOB, Monoloc.

When yous have popped off, isnt it possible to just pop it back in from under the car? I know itll ruin a session but should be a quick repair to get moving again.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:28 AM
kaj

I didn't get the TOB memo
Also ordered another Monoloc because I'm taking ZERO chances.
I've always been told the trans had to be pulled to get the collar back on. Not sure why, other than the fact that it has to pretty much be snapped in straight and flat. It goes on easy enough, though.
If I could have fixed it trackside and towed it home for nothing, I'm gonna be a lil upset LOL
Either way I sure am not looking forward to R&Ring again....at least this should be my last time *knocking on wood*