Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Harry's Lap Timer Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Harry's Lap Timer Thread

Hey all,

I created a thread a while ago about which timing app to use - I chose Harry's Lap Timer, seemed to have the most backing from a wider range of users.

Question on this one - anyone know how to change the POI/start/stop? It's timing well and consistently, but it seemed to change the start/stop point at the last event. Any way I can fix this?

If you watch the video, it seems to start the lap a few hundred feet after the start line
Old Jun 15, 2019, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sub’d & bump for info.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 09:51 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I love Harry's...but every time I have a problem or question, the "how-tos" seem to be written by someone how just wants to **** with us. they are impossible to follow and never work.
As such, there are so many features I'm missing out on.
When you load the track, do the POIs look right?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I love Harry's...but every time I have a problem or question, the "how-tos" seem to be written by someone how just wants to **** with us. they are impossible to follow and never work.
As such, there are so many features I'm missing out on.
When you load the track, do the POIs look right?
it's odd so my last event i didnt get the bluetooth stuff to hook up right but, when i tried to line up the timing roughly, it seems like it actually did pick up at the correct start/stop (when you see the corners and stuff)
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:33 AM
kaj

Hmmm. I've been told by people that they have been having some issues with Harry's over the past year. One guy told me his lap times were off by a full second. I can't confirm any of these comments and I haven't had the opportunity to use it for quite some time now... so I'm wondering if there was an update? Some reason it's acting all wonky for some?
Personally, I've never had a problem... I'm hoping that hasn't changed, as I have the top-of-the-line paid version LOL.
I also use the phone GPS, so I don't know if it's a synch issue.
I'll be buying a BT GPS setup very soon and hopefully using during my last track day. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe you can try manually setting the start/stop POI before the next run and see what happens..?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 09:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Hmmm. I've been told by people that they have been having some issues with Harry's over the past year. One guy told me his lap times were off by a full second. I can't confirm any of these comments and I haven't had the opportunity to use it for quite some time now... so I'm wondering if there was an update? Some reason it's acting all wonky for some?
Personally, I've never had a problem... I'm hoping that hasn't changed, as I have the top-of-the-line paid version LOL.
I also use the phone GPS, so I don't know if it's a synch issue.
I'll be buying a BT GPS setup very soon and hopefully using during my last track day. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe you can try manually setting the start/stop POI before the next run and see what happens..?
Harry's is pretty useless without if you're using the phone GPS. It logs at like 1hz which doesn't really give much useful data. An external GPS is absolutely needed.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Harry's is pretty useless without if you're using the phone GPS. It logs at like 1hz which doesn't really give much useful data. An external GPS is absolutely needed.
Do you have an external GPS unit you’d recommend? I’d like to get everything ahead of time and not fight with things while I’m at the track focusing on fun.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by APEXR
Do you have an external GPS unit you’d recommend? I’d like to get everything ahead of time and not fight with things while I’m at the track focusing on fun.
I used the skypro XGPS160 when I used harry’s. Small size and worked super well. Like others have said, harry’s is basically a toy without external GPS
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I used the skypro XGPS160 when I used harry’s. Small size and worked super well. Like others have said, harry’s is basically a toy without external GPS
That’s actually the one I was looking at.
Anyone else got suggestions? Love or hate?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
I bought one of these guys used:
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Multipurpose-Augmentation/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=external+gps&qid=1560707645&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Multipurpose-Augmentation/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=external+gps&qid=1560707645&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Still have yet to try it out because my buddy keeps throwing his vbox on my car lol
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:34 PM
kaj

For analysis, maybe. For lap times, it works great. 0.03-0.1 off the transponder I rented.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

I bought one of these guys used: https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electron...-1-spons&psc=1

Still have yet to try it out because my buddy keeps throwing his vbox on my car lol
I’ve looked at the vbox as well. I like that it’s an all in one versus trying to piece things together & hope they place nice, but the price has held me back.

Which vbox have you used?

Old Jun 16, 2019, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
For analysis, maybe. For lap times, it works great. 0.03-0.1 off the transponder I rented.
Are you using any kind of external GPS add on, or just your phone?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 08:47 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by APEXR
Are you using any kind of external GPS add on, or just your phone?
Just my phone. I plan to order a GPS unit soon so the mph and other data will be more useful.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

i mistakenly used my internal phone gps instead of the 10hz gps i had - was off by about 0.4s