Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Harry's Lap Timer Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 05:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by APEXR
I’ve looked at the vbox as well. I like that it’s an all in one versus trying to piece things together & hope they place nice, but the price has held me back.

Which vbox have you used?
Take a look at the RaceCapture Track : https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...turetrack-mk2/

I run the RaceCapture Pro and it's been amazing. The customer service is excellent as well. Highly recommend their products.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 06:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by APEXR
I’ve looked at the vbox as well. I like that it’s an all in one versus trying to piece things together & hope they place nice, but the price has held me back.

Which vbox have you used?
The vbox sport. It works very well. It's the only telematic logger in its price range than can record at 20hz. 10hz works for most everybody but if you're trying to get every tenth of a second possible you need 20hz.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 07:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
The vbox sport. It works very well. It's the only telematic logger in its price range than can record at 20hz. 10hz works for most everybody but if you're trying to get every tenth of a second possible you need 20hz.
Racecapture can do 1/5/10/25/50Hz
Old Jun 17, 2019, 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
Racecapture can do 1/5/10/25/50Hz
The link you posted says up to 10hz for telemetry. Their spec sheet is unclear unless I'm reading it wrong.

I ran it past a friend who's tried more than a handful of telematics setups and here's what he said:

I'm in a few FB groups for track stuff and it seems the 2 go to stuff for serious guys is Aim Solo or Vbox.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Jun 17, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

The link you posted says up to 10hz for telemetry. Their spec sheet is unclear unless I'm reading it wrong.
You're reading it wrong. You are looking at Cellular Telemetry which is the device uploading data to the cloud in real time via a 3G/4G network. Look under GPS.

Old Jun 17, 2019, 08:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Here is a screenshot of some of the data from my Racecapture Pro over one lap at Thunderhill Raceway. (You can set up the Track version to do the same)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

I ran it past a friend who's tried more than a handful of telematics setups and here's what he said:

I'm in a few FB groups for track stuff and it seems the 2 go to stuff for serious guys is Aim Solo or Vbox.

Works 8% of the time? It literally has worked 100% of the time for me. User error or maybe he used it years and years ago when they first started.

There are tons of people using RCP for HPDE and Racing. All over youtube.

And... it's scriptable so you can do super cool things. I literally log every single date stream from my ECU, external sensors and all the track telemetry into one file. It's logging every time the car is on to a SD card and streaming data wirelessly to my android head unit. It's gold.

Old Jun 17, 2019, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Maybe so. I still have homework to do for myself to compare options. User friendliness is a big point for me, I don't spend tons of time rifling through data right now so when I do I want it to be a quick process.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Maybe so. I still have homework to do for myself to compare options. User friendliness is a big point for me, I don't spend tons of time rifling through data right now so when I do I want it to be a quick process.
I loaded the log into the app and took that screenshot above in under a minute.

That said, the software could use some work overall. It's not up to the standards of other analyzation software. The good news is RCP creates .CSV files you can use in your software of choice.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i'm sure rcp works fine. harry is what i went with, so hopefully we can keep the discussion OT with setup & tips for harry's..
Old Jun 17, 2019, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry kyoo, wasn’t trying to derail things.
I’ve been looking at theses things, saw your thread, and just looking for answers.
Let’s keep this thread about Harry’s to keep things clear.

Guys if we could move this conversation over to here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ggestions.html
I’d still like as much info as possible about what everyone likes or hates and why.
Thanks