Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lap timer suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lap timer suggestions

I was looking at getting a lap timer to help me see where I can improve. Any suggestions? Prob want to stay under 500$. Want it to do sectors, predictive timing, GPS etc. I found one but curious about other.

The AIM Solo looks decent. Just wanted to check out all my options before buying.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Went ahead and got the AIM Solo. Inexpensive and good enough until I can afford the MXL full gauge setup.

I'll do a review after I get it. Should help to find out corners I need to work on.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a complete Traq Mate Classic for sale with the code to add video to the file. $550 shipped if you are interested.
They are $800 new LMK if you are interested.

http://store.traqmate.com/Traqmate-C...e-p/930001.htm

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Apr 3, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Good price. But I already ordered the Solo. I think I like the Solo display a little more but I'm sure the traqmate does more.

Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2014, 09:41 AM

I bought a GPS nugget and use my phone with Harry's laptimer (PetrolHead). Cheap and useful.

www.gps-laptimer.de
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:42 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
i have an app for my phone that has been .03-.2sec off of Buttonwillow's transponders. not sure it has as many sectors as most would like, but they can be moved. are actual timing systems going to be closer to each other, i'd guess?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

I use the old mychron. Good big display with #s that can be read easily in sunlight.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run the QStarz LT-6000 and it works perfectly. has lots of cool features and the times it records are identical to the lap timers provided by the TimeAttack organizations here and the best part is, its under $500

http://racing.qstarz.com/Products/LT-Q6000.html

let me know if you're interested, there's a guy locally that sells them for a good price
Old Apr 8, 2014, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Well crap, I like that one as well. Oh well. I'll see how accurate mine is next time at willow before deciding what to do. They do kind of the same thing it's just the Solo you access most of the info like g forces on the computer. The device itself is pretty simple.

But thanks for making me second guess my decision! Lol

Just read about it. Where did you get it? The video says you can compare laps to other people. Can you get them online or does the person have to send it to you?

The video also shows the video overlay. Have you tried it with a gopro? Also last question, can you see the screen pretty well on sunny days? I do like how the whole screen goes red or green.

Originally Posted by TougeGod7
I run the QStarz LT-6000 and it works perfectly. has lots of cool features and the times it records are identical to the lap timers provided by the TimeAttack organizations here and the best part is, its under $500

http://racing.qstarz.com/Products/LT-Q6000.html

let me know if you're interested, there's a guy locally that sells them for a good price

Last edited by Uscbryan; Apr 8, 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Just did a bunch of research since you threw the QStarz into the equation. I think I will exchange my Solo for it.

Does anybody know if these laptimers use the same type file for the data? Could I use any telemetry software to read them or is it usually proprietary?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Just did a bunch of research since you threw the QStarz into the equation. I think I will exchange my Solo for it.

Does anybody know if these laptimers use the same type file for the data? Could I use any telemetry software to read them or is it usually proprietary?
Don't write off the solo too quickly. It comes with a pretty solid track data analysis program and yes it can export data to many different formats.

My Solo is also always within a +/- 0.1 seconds of NASA transponder timing. In fact it is usually almost dead on.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
+1 for Solo as I see a lot of people using it but my list would go like:

1. iPhone type's, if your just starting out and it's a full interior car that you drive the family around it you can go wrong, esp when you can show the videos to your mates

2. Sub 500 units like Solo or the other one mentioned, more data for the more serious driver who goes to events consistently and needs a more perm install with more features

3. Race telemetry units like traqmate, RaceTechnology etc that can plug in a few hundred other data points to really drill down into that .01 second you can save.

Also consider some clubs are "considering" standardizing on one type or another for "dyno testing" so the more you test with it the more prepared you are.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the info. I think the Solo is a great product. They have a good rep. If I didn't see the QStarz 6000 I probably would like it the best for the price. But something about the QStarz that I really like. Maybe it's the color screen. The screen going red or green is a great function. I can't catch that out of the side of my eye without looking directly at the device.

I'm going today to look at it and if I like it I'll exchange my Solo. I have heard they are both pretty accurate. It really comes down to the color screen and I believe you can do a few more things on the device itself whereas the Solo the data has to be uploaded first.

Thanks again
Old Jun 17, 2019, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump. I figure I can’t be the only one looking for newer/more info.
Let me know what you’ve got or used.
What you loved or hated.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I've used the Solo for years. It works well in my car and I can also use it with the kart. No extra GPS to buy, don't have to worry about your phone's GPS accuracy/battery life (or having a spare one) and as called out above it's accurate relative to any on transponder times when being compared. The software on the 1 isn't the best, maybe the 2 is better. It does give you a CSV as output which can then be feed into anything that can read/understand those.

Quick Reply: Lap timer suggestions