Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

KevinD has a new challange! and this time its personal...

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KevinD has a new challange! and this time its personal...

There is a lot of back ground to this so if you're impatience or uninterested you might as well jump to the summary at the end.

Ok all, I may not know the community or even the vehicle as well as most of you do but I have know Kevin since he first moved to DFW. I remember I tried to convince him that any car with only four cylinders and a mere two liters of displacement would never do anything at all impressive, I like to think I've come a long way. Regardless, he and I were part of a student race team at uta were we all discovered our capabilities as car mechanics, but this is where kev began to distinguish himself as a capable engine tuner.

Since leaving uta kev has taken his skills and offered his services to fellow evo owners, working out of his own garage and well you know the rest. What you may not know is that Kevin has recently acquired a project of sorts. Below is a picture of a car kev recieved that has no powertrain, very little interior, and very little purpose. The team at evolution dynamics has dedicated themselves to building this into a time attack race car.

However Kevin is not the only student to have left uta with a passion for turbocharged, all wheel drive, racing sedans. There is another.. Chris is a friend of mine acquainted through the same student race team, and has established his own garage several months ago for the purpose of upgrading his two wrx sti's and also another friends Porsche 944. Chris has never had the same patience for elegance of design that kev will put into his work, nor does he feel any mechanical empathy, but he does has a reputation for making things work when things really trully should not be working. You should ask him about all the things he's managed to fix with a hammer. When charged with completing a task, he has been labeled as the embodiment of "a man on a mission." Below is chris driving his newer sti on one of his more glorious days at an autocross event on the tms infield, the picture is really a story in itself.

Starting shortly after acquiring the gargare, chris set forth with the mission of transforming his older ~2003 model sti, the bug eye, into a time attack race car following nasa tt rules and redline time attack. Currently the interior is stripped and the suspension and powertrain have been completely dismantled. Parts have only recently began arriving and the assembly process has begun. I'm really limited on pictures, this i'm just pulling off chris's myspace.

A little more on the animosity. Upon learning they were both now building time attack race cars in the same class competion, it seemed fit that they should be reacquainted. They grew apart after leaving uta because of events that happened during the last year the two were on the team together. While on the team the two contributed greatly to the team's last attempt at an ethanol powered, turbo charged, small block engine. I believe it was the lightest car the team had produced at the time. The engine was a honda cbr 250 that would rev to 21 thousand rpm on ten pounds of boost, and smelled like a morning after spring break in Mexico. Days when it ran, it screamed like an F1 car and took off down the track faster than a bat out of hell. However, being the highest rpm motor ever at uta it was prone to reliability issues. We at some point destroyed at least three of these engines before competition time. As we hastily left for comp we took the goods parts from each of these engines and left the remaining husks to bleed out their internal fluids in the back of our shop. Chris still holds kevin responsible for the multiple engine failures of the F06 race car. Chris was also shocked and disturbed to learn kev had started a business maintaining and upgrading turbo'ed cars. Kev was just as surprised Chris was attempting his own time attack car. Kev will attest that the engine failures were the responsibility of our faculty adviser attempting his own ignition timing with the assistance of another engine lead and possibly chris's help as well. So they hate each others guts.

All summed up, they are both building a time attack race car to nasa tt rules and will be completing their cars directly. They both know what they are getting into and they both wish to be the final owner of the uta F06 race car. Should be a fun challenge, I'll be keeping this updated as their vehicles progress along.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool story, but the chris guys dosnt know what hes getting into

evos > stis
the end.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:34 PM

Haha, Chris' car is going to be a beast. I wonder what Kevin has in store though...
Old May 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by low_psi
Haha, Chris' car is going to be a beast. I wonder what Kevin has in store though...
Put it this way.... There will be no competition... PERIOD! Its going to a good old fashion STi beating!
Old May 10, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

sti is SOL
Old May 10, 2009, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

One ammndment to drews story: I don't hate or blame chris for anything related to the 06car. I blame woods squarly. It was ironic that the motor that exploded blew up while I was on vacation for my friends wedding. The other motor that was destroyed before competition was due to assembly errors (over torques main bearing, or wrong size bearings. Motor didn't even start on it's own ever, cause of all the friction. The third motor was assembled from re remains of those two motors over night at the competition and threw a rod in brake testing.

As for our car: 2.3l 30r turbo at first. Targeting ttu class for re first year, then moving to ttr if our budget allows it. 2800lb weight with 415whp is the goal. Full cage with all the usual race car stuff. Denver Richard and I will be going over the build in the coming weeks. We have a lot tocfinish up at the shop still as a priority
Old May 10, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

wow...this is like a freakin' soap opera...racing style!!! the race tracks just replaced the mountain passes and we're talking initial d here baby! we'll all be watching!

...i know, i'm a dork.