Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

7-18-09 Texas Gymkhana Event @ Mineral Wells!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7-18-09 Texas Gymkhana Event @ Mineral Wells!!!

Welcome Friends!!! Its time for Gymkhana racing in Texas!!!

For those that don't know, Gymkhana is the Japanese version of autocross, in which drifting is allowed and your main goal is efficient technical driving and car control, to allow you to navigate through the course in the quickest time possible.

Tech inspection starts at 9:00am, driver's meeting will start around 9:45am. Please be there early enough for this if you intend to drive.

Runs will continue throughout the day, probably until shortly before sunset, or until everyone is tired and no drivers wish to make any more runs for the day, whichever comes first.

All runs will be timed, but only your fastest run will count.

This course will be huge by gymkhana standards taking an avg of 2 minutes to complete.

The course will include auto barrel racing, reverse section, 180's, and a stop box.

There will be a tech inspection of each car before it is allowed to go on the track, which will include a quick lookover of the car and safety equipment (ie helmet, seat belts, ect.. )

The inspection will also include a J turn. We need to see that your cars suspension is up to the task of keeping you from rolling over so a quick 15 mph j turn will give us a chance to make sure everyone will be safe and have a fun day..

Tech will be strictly enforced to weed out high CG vehicles. Those vehicles that fail tech due to high CG will be allowed to run but will not be allowed to use the reverse section.

Prices for the event are as follows:

Drivers entrance fee - $40

Pit access (if you are not driving but are with a crew or want to hang out in the pits with the drivers) - $5

General spectators area - Free!!!

The top 3 finishers will recieve half price admission to the next Cloudfactory sponsored Mineral Wells event, and we aim to make these a regular thing.

The #1 finisher will recieve free admission to the next event.

The track will be located at Mineral Wells Airport.. In the back on the old tarmac...

Thanks and I hope to see you there!!!
Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

This could be amusing. I might consider this though I have never done it. That turning around, 180 degrees, and going backwards stuff might not be all that easy in an AWD car.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

or would it..... lol
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:14 AM

i wish it were at TMS buslot so it wouldn't absolutely shread a set of tires
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DEVO330
i wish it were at TMS buslot so it wouldn't absolutely shread a set of tires
That completely depends on what tires you run... I'm part of a local drift team and Mineral Wells is our normal venue for drift days, and that means we are HARD on tires, burning them up all the way around the course, every pass. One of my teammates (actually the red s13 in that picture on the flyer above) purchased a brand new set of Federal 595's (one of the most popular drift tires) before the last drift event we attended, and even with him purposely pushing it hard and TRYING to burn those tires off, they still lasted all day long, 40+ runs around the course drifting it hard and there was still a little tread left to drive home on at the end of the day.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
try doing that with a 3500# AWD front heavy Evo. Mineral Wells is HARD on tires in an Evo in a normal autocross situation. What you're describing would absolutely destroy a set of tires.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 03:33 PM

Yes, its racing. Bring spares. :P

Oh also I forgot to mention, this is a grassroots style event, so bring your own folding chars and coolers of liquid refreshment, and sunscreen, and if you bring a helmet and you pay at least the $5 pit access, you'll probably have a number of drivers who would be willing to take you on some ride-alongs. Helmet and seatbelts are the required safety equipment for this event.

Last edited by Kamikazee; Jun 5, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 05:04 PM

I also just found out several DFW area shops will be attending and setting up tents out there as well, so its a good opportunity to meet people and make friends in the DFW tuning scene. This is going to be a big event, don't miss it!
Old Jun 7, 2009, 07:46 AM

And its not solely based on drifting. You can grip or drift most of the course. You can still do gymkhana even in a front-wheel drive vehicle, and you can definitely do it in an all-wheel drive vehicle. You will be racing circles around a series of barrels in one section, doing a slalom section, a big radius circle which can be drifted if you want, there will be a reverse gate which means you must go through it tail first (you can still do 180 maneuvers even in front wheel drive cars), a stop box is a small box shaped area (4 cones) where you must come to a complete stop within the box before continuing (tests your braking skill), and some generally technical driving. Its similar to autocross and its a timed run event, but in this version we definitely won't kick you out for sliding, there are some more challenging tricks you must perform such as I've mentioned. You can't really run into much other than orange traffic cones or the blue barrels in the barrel racing section though. Its a great fun way to spend the day, and learn a lot about your car and improve your driving skill. I encourage everyone who can come out there to do so, and if you can, give the course a try.

Also, unlike most autocross events, you won't pay your money just to make just 3 runs for the day and thats it. You can go as many times as you want, simply get in line at the starting gate and when its your turn they will let you go again. When someone wipes out big and sends the cones flying, we will pause the course for a moment while we fix it before the next person makes their run. If you are the one who wiped out, we would definately appreciate you helping pick up your cones and fix the course for the next person.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'm starting to think maybe I need to do this. Ken Block has inspired me.

I need an extra set of "not so expensive" tires though.

what do you do -- just show up and pay? Any reservation needed or anything like that?

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Jun 10, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a set of 18" star specs you can go ruin. You just need something to mount them to
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

tempting very tempting
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:45 AM

hi i own cloudfactory motorsports ( the company that is putting this event on)

thought i would chime in.

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
I'm starting to think maybe I need to do this. Ken Block has inspired me.

I need an extra set of "not so expensive" tires though.

what do you do -- just show up and pay? Any reservation needed or anything like that?
show up and pay no reservation required. 1st place gets free admission to next months event.

if you don,t think your gonna like it just show up to watch but bring an entry fee because once you see it your gonna pay and drive.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vipi0
if you don,t think your gonna like it just show up to watch but bring an entry fee because once you see it your gonna pay and drive.
If anything it looks like a good excuse to drive like an *** and not worry about the cops.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
If anything it looks like a good excuse to drive like an *** and not worry about the cops.
Yep! And thanks Ben!

Quick Reply: 7-18-09 Texas Gymkhana Event @ Mineral Wells!!!