Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

garage security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
garage security

Over the past few week I have either come home and my garage be open, or walk to my garage and it be open as well. This happens random days of the week but always on Friday or Saturday. When i close my door, I watch it close, all the way, then make sure it doesn't go back up when I leave. This morning a police officer alerted me that my garage was open all night, we discussed this and he said it's quite routine for somebody to case the garage out over the course of a couple months so they can see how long it goes unattended. My garage is in an apartment complex so I went to the office and requested a new opener and receiver. Of course that doesn't do too much good when all the person has to do is set their universal remote to my new transmitter.

What are my options.... my garage is def. over 150 feet away from my place, which seems to be the limit wireless limit on most early warning monitor/alarms. This option of course does NOT protect for when I leave my apartments and am away.

the only solution i can think of is a really ****ing loud alarm that pisses off every person that lives in the apartments. that way, if i'm away, s omebody will do something if they ever want to sleep....

ideas?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:12 AM

If you've got more than your car in your garage, I'd suggest visiting the spy store. Something like a wireless pinhole camera or perhaps a motion sensor tied to an audible alarm in your apartment perhaps. Depends on how much you want to spend.

If it's just your car that's in there, I'd just suggest the "lock, take hide" stuff the cops always advertise. If it's an apartment complex, they aren't going to get anything from your car they can't get from a car that's not parked in a garage, unless you leave things in the seat in plain view. I wouldn't necessarily think it's people with a universal remote, as we've had similar problems. Could be a rogue signal from some random source. Could be something in the opener itself. Folks with universal openers will probably rather stick to actual neighborhoods because there are less prying eyes watching them walk into the garage.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

i have lots of stuff. a camera doesnt stop the theft from happening so i wont go that route, been looking at alarm system that will call my cell when the door opens, something like that, plus a loud f**ing speaker
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by chad99evo
i have lots of stuff. a camera doesnt stop the theft from happening so i wont go that route, been looking at alarm system that will call my cell when the door opens, something like that, plus a loud f**ing speaker
None of that will technically stop the theft either. If it is indeed someone scoping out the garage and checking response times, then they are scoping you out as well, meaning they know when you're not home.

But I really don't think that's the case. The complex I live in has troubles with their garage doors as well. Hell my first garage door almost fell on top of my car. The apartment people don't care about those garages. They're not exactly high-end.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

They should be using a receiver with rolling anti grabbing codes. Surely the remote you have is a programmable one?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:49 PM
T6
Evolving Member

any chance you could just build a lock mechanism on the outside of the garage door?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

You should buy a gun and some wild turkey..........now thats security
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Get a dog. A massive dog. I wouldn't go near a car that had a dog around or in it.

But seriously. Take a page out of mr beans book and remove something from your car that will stop it being stolen. Steering wheel, accelerator pedal etc. Best to take a couple wheels off though, in case they have a truck.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Most garages have a manual lock on the outside that you can upen with a key...just lock it that way or request one installed.