Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Decisions... Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions... Decisions...

Okay. Not sure if many of you know, but Cobb tuning modded my 2010 Ralliart to 375whp/403wtq on E85. I love every bit about driving the car. The acceleration is nuts, the adrenaline rush is crazy and I just love the sound. Eventually, I plan on upgrading my car to something crazy fast, and with my new job I should have the money do have it completed early next year. But now, small these are starting to add up that I don't like and its becoming a nerve etching problem. My reasons, before I go on, for getting a Ralliart was become I was in a bad relationship that ended right around the time I planned on getting an Evo SE, and when that happened finances changed. Plus when I learned about the upkeep of an Evo I saw myself getting an Evo at the time as a financial suicide. Therefore, I got the Ralliart, did my research, and got it to what it is today. There are a few decisions I made I wish to take back, but it impresses me every day I drive it.

I have come to the conclusion I plan to upgrade model wise to an MR (not MRT) or GSR.

- I hate not have launch control, and brake boosting is very risky if you don't know what you're doing.

- The exhaust aftermarket, even on E85 sounds wicked awesome. Rmondoh's exhaust was sex, do want

- The aggressive look

- I know its heavier than the RA, which hurts it in some ways, but I'd love to track it sometime and see how much better the handling actually is

- Launch Control

- Driving a "sleeper" wasn't my plan

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Krisko; Sep 15, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I was hesitant about trading in my Ralliart on my Evo. Coming from a modded RA though only a equally modded evo will make you happy so get ready to spend some $$

Stg2 Evo is great. You won't be disappointed. Turbo back exhaust, intake, and a tune and you will be very happy.

Also the awd system of the X makes the RA seem like a toy. Really push the X and you will be amazed.

Last edited by justin81; Sep 15, 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or you can save a bunch of $$ and find a IX which is lighter than the X by 300lbs and mod for mod almost always will be cheaper and easier to install. No need for an accessport also in the MR a 6sp and awesome suspension. Don't get me wrong I like the look of the X but wouldn't want to spend the extra cash for speed. If you want to go fast the IX is a much cheaper option.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Krisko
The exhaust aftermarket, even on E85 sounds wicked awesome. Rmondoh's exhaust was sex, do want
https://specialtyz.com/shop/sz-evo-x...system-08.html

You better be prepared to pay a GOOD chunk of change for the Specialty-X (I think they go by Specialty-Z now) catback.

I can see this thread starting a flame war between GSR vs MR.

For what it's worth, the upkeep on the MR is quite a bit more than the GSR, specificallly due to the fluids and that transmission filter. If you're going to be pushing the MR tranny, then you definitely need to invest in a transmission oil cooler. SSP and AMS make one. The only other thing to keep in mind from what I've seen is that depending on the intake you put on the car, you may or may not be able to find a LICP that will fit with it due to the space the MR tranny takes up. None of the above applies to the GSR. The only other difference between the GSR and the MR is that if you're going to be pushing over 400wtq, you'll probably want to upgrade the clutch packs. That's going to be quite an expense. On the GSR, it's just changing out the clutch.

If you're really dead set on getting an MR, Supraboy1 would be the person to talk to since he has modified his pretty heavily and it's not done yet.

Hope my post helps.

Last edited by rmondoh; Sep 15, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by justin81
Also the awd system of the X makes the RA seem like a toy.
Why is that? The RA is awd too.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bullett
Why is that? The RA is awd too.
Difference systems though, very much different
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
RA AWD is basically the IX's; no AYC/S-AWC, just ACD.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't care which X you get, but you'll love it! Easily the best car I've owned.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

@ PlanoEvo I've been considering that as well, but I'm very ignorant to the IX model, extremely ignorant about it.

I've been considering buying an X that's already modded with low miles. With my new job I'll have the funds to maintain it even if something breaks. I just have yet to find one.

Both the X MR and GSR have launch control right?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
T6
Evolving Member

You will be disappointed with the MR till you mod it all up. Your RA is a beast and the stock MR isnt so. You gotta invest extra to the SST cooler and clutch packs then you will be just fine.

Dont worry about the weight that much, with enough horsies that doesnt matter, supraboy1 has the heaviest of all, an MR T and the thing flies. Doesnt seem like you have much concern of switching to an EVO which you dont need to have one. The only thing I can somewhat foresee is that till you mod the evo you will not be satisfied. Handling on the EVO is much better due to S-AWC system but till you at least get your EVO to Stage 2 you wont be satisfied.

edit: Yep, both the MR and the GSR has launch control.

Last edited by T6; Sep 15, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
RA AWD is basically the IX's; no AYC/S-AWC, just ACD.
What's AYC/S-AWC?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bullett
What's AYC/S-AWC?
Active YAW control. Super All Wheel Control.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Active yaw control super all wheel control
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Lol you beat me
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by T6
You will be disappointed with the MR till you mod it all up. Your RA is a beast and the stock MR isnt so. You gotta invest extra to the SST cooler and clutch packs then you will be just fine.

Dont worry about the weight that much, with enough horsies that doesnt matter, supraboy1 has the heaviest of all, an MR T and the thing flies. Doesnt seem like you have much concern of switching to an EVO which you dont need to have one. The only thing I can somewhat foresee is that till you mod the evo you will not be satisfied. Handling on the EVO is much better due to S-AWC system but till you at least get your EVO to Stage 2 you wont be satisfied.

edit: Yep, both the MR and the GSR has launch control.
The RA and MR tranny upkeep is the same, so I'm aware of that. I just want to know the main upkeep of the other things such as brakes on both models or clutch life span on the GSR. I hear issues of the clutch lasting for barely 10k miles. I am heavily leaning towards the MR, but I would rather an already modded one close to my current power. I would still take a GSR if possible too.

Edit: ewwwwwwww, I was even looking at American Muscle. I was very sad.

Quick Reply: Decisions... Decisions...