Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Connecticut Smog & Gas question...

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecticut Smog & Gas question...

Hey,

I'm living in California and probably moving to to Connecticut in a month or two. Of course California has strict smog laws, does anyone know how strict the Connecticut smog laws are?

Also, I can't get 93 pump gas in CA, does anyone know if 93 is available in Connecticut?

Thanks!
Jason
Old May 29, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

93 is available all over CT and MA, you'll have no problems finding it here. Almost every gas station sells 87, 89 and 93oct.

As for the smog rules, we have to get our cars inspected for emissions every 2 years (but the system is a little screwed up now, long story...). I run my car with no cat, and it's relatively common for people to run their Evos that way here.

I'm sure you'll find that our laws are not enforced as strictly out here as they are in CA. Let us know if you have any more questions.

As for shops out here, Pruven Performance in Milford, CT and Victor Research in East Hartford, CT are the best ones.
Old May 29, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, and when it comes time to go for one of those famous emissions inspections, we just bolt our stock exhaust back on and pass with flying colors. As long as you don't have a CEL and you have a cat on the car, you'll pass.
Old May 30, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

good info, thanks man!
Old May 31, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meh, personally I'd choose Turbotrix over Pruven, I don't know about you, but I'd like to get my car back in a timely manor=)
Old Jun 7, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by staatz
meh, personally I'd choose Turbotrix over Pruven, I don't know about you, but I'd like to get my car back in a timely manor=)
Yeah, Turbotrix is top-notch. It's much less of a drive to get to Pruven, though.

I can't comment on how long it takes to get long jobs done at Pruven. I've only had Al tune my car there.

I do know they had a yellow evo there for several weeks, though for a gigantic build. Dan and the guys there are quite knowledgable with DSM/Evos.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

kinda back to his question..i decided it would be better to not make a similar new thread. my dad has been a tech for 20 years. he is now certified to do emmisions on cars. he says that by law he is not allowed to work on any car that has any modification done to it whatsoever. performace mod that is. he says even an aftermarket exhuast he can refuse to work on it and its technically illegal to drive. obviously that performance law is basically un enforced around here(CT) do u still have to put the car back to stock when u test for emissions? my dad says if it has any more HP than it did stock u will not pass. any more info on the bending of the laws.?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

As long as you haven't been having CEL's and the car appears/idles normally I wouldn't worry about it. I believe they only do a visual for the cat and it's a quick plug in to the OBD2 port. Personally, I probably won't remove my cat-back before, although I will drop the cat back in.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

it depends on the shop you get it done at as to how strict they are. most will simply say no cel, cat is there, good to go. some may be more strict, as it is technically illegal to alter emissions equipment, but most could care less. i have a high flow cat on my exhaust, and whenever i end up having to go in for emissions i don't plan to take it off. it is technically illegal though because a functioning piece of emissions equipment was removed, even though it was replaced with something that will have no problem passing a sniff test
Old Jun 8, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikejam1688
kinda back to his question..i decided it would be better to not make a similar new thread. my dad has been a tech for 20 years. he is now certified to do emmisions on cars. he says that by law he is not allowed to work on any car that has any modification done to it whatsoever. performace mod that is. he says even an aftermarket exhuast he can refuse to work on it and its technically illegal to drive. obviously that performance law is basically un enforced around here(CT) do u still have to put the car back to stock when u test for emissions? my dad says if it has any more HP than it did stock u will not pass. any more info on the bending of the laws.?
Here's how you play that game: I had my WRX in for a last minute oil change, I didn't have time to do it myself before a long trip. The mechanic told me that my exhaust was illegal because it had no cat (no duh!!), and he said he could change my oil, but he couldn't do anything that would require him to touch my exhaust. For example, he couldn't take out my transmission and remove and re-install my catless exhaust because he would be required to install an emissions-compliant exhaust (such as the stock exhaust).

He was a tool. My car never goes to the shop, and it would certainly never go back to his shop. I don't appreciate unsolicited lectures about the emissions "laws" in CT, and I don't want some uptight pr!ck working on my car. I do, however, understand that he had a license to protect and he had to be by the book because of that license.

The bottom line is that you will pass emissions in CT if you have a functioning cat on the car, aftermarket or stock. Your emissions guy isn't qualified to determine what is stock vs. aftermarket, regardless of what he tells you. His job is to do a visual inspection, use the sniffer, and plug into the car to check for codes. That is all. If you see a lecture coming your way, leave.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

how do you get around emissions if you have a CEL that won't clear up? I get the P0300 code because of my Tilton twin plate being so noisy. I need to get a "dry" cell I was told, but that is not happening because I can't drive the car around long enough after I clear the code.

anyway to force a dry cell. I have the CEL cleared and off, but somehow the emissions computer knows I had codes...
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by gt420hp
how do you get around emissions if you have a CEL that won't clear up? I get the P0300 code because of my Tilton twin plate being so noisy. I need to get a "dry" cell I was told, but that is not happening because I can't drive the car around long enough after I clear the code.

anyway to force a dry cell. I have the CEL cleared and off, but somehow the emissions computer knows I had codes...
Simple,CEL= No pass,FAIL.
When you clear your cel your emmissions related components have to go through a series of tests to see if they are working properly and have to show "completed" in your monitor status(obdII stuff).If you clear your CEL and bring it to an emmissions testing place before all your monitors show a "completed" status they can not give you a PASS as they know what you are up to Your car needs to complete a so-called "Drive cycle" and criteria to complete a "Drive Cycle" varies manufacture to manufacture,but in order to pass your state mandated emmissions test for CT. you must have a cat on vehicle,you must not have a CEL,your readiness monitors must show "completed" status and you must have a gas cap present and it must pass a simple vapor pressure test,it is that simple in the state of Ct. How do I know?Can you say IM240 certified
BTW,any out of state vehicle being registered in the state of CT MUST pass the emmissions test to retain registration,no sniffer is done on 1995 and newer vehicles,just a simple OBDII plug in and visual check and gas cap check.Hope this is of help to you

Last edited by turboDan; Jun 9, 2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

so that is what they call it "Drive Cycle". I thought the tech called it a dry cell. So any ideas how to force a drive cycle to be good? I have heard drive around for 50 miles or so...and then I have heard some cars take a day, others take a week.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by gt420hp
so that is what they call it "Drive Cycle". I thought the tech called it a dry cell. So any ideas how to force a drive cycle to be good? I have heard drive around for 50 miles or so...and then I have heard some cars take a day, others take a week.
Drive cycle need a few parameters met before it will even begin,
1st)fuel between 1/4 and 3/4 full
2nd)air intake temp and coolant temp within 12 degrees of each other at start up.
3)here is where it differs from manufacture to manufacture,between a 5 and 20 minute drive at speeds greater than 28 mph,without a key off during test(IE;,cant stop at gas station after a few minutes of driving,shut vehicle off and refuel)or drive cycle is discontinued until next time #1 and #2 criteria are once again met.
4)did i mention also that the coolant temp cannot be below 25 degrees,doesn't matter if it is within 12 degrees of air intake temp air when you start,monitor will not run
Once again #4 also varies from manufacture to manufacture(so much for OBDII being universal)
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info. I guess I need to find a nice quiet rode and drive in circles for a few hours

Quick Reply: Connecticut Smog & Gas question...