Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Devens Autocross events comming up.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devens Autocross events comming up.

There are a few events coming up and a few drivers may be needed to fill up the events. Very long (usually over 2 min) courses and fast and easy to read. They use both runways down to the very last connector too. Other thing is that you do not need to be a member to run, just arrive and drive. One of the last runs with these guys got us 11 runs in. Free pizza for lunch too. Ride alongs are also allowed, although I don't think they will allow 4 people in a car.
PM if interested.

Edit
These events are in Ayer, Ma and run all day. The BMW Test and Tune attendees will like these events for sure.

Last edited by GT3 RS Scruffy; Aug 20, 2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to make location clear
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

scruffy you know I'm down for this (and I'm sure the local guys are as well...) Are they the autox test and tunes, should we sign up on bmwcca?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

scruffy: i want in. i'll PM you.

thanks for tipping us off!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
scruffy: i want in. i'll PM you.

thanks for tipping us off!
+1 on that!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:10 AM

Just another note.
These events may be a bit more difficult for any driver who has NEVER done autocross. While they do have instructors, they do NOT all allow a course walk. Instead, they put two people in a car, more experienced one driving, and you drive the course at 5mph. I found this to be very helpfull. They find that it saves a ton of time. Less time=more runs.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scruffy, paul sent me the info. I am really looking forward to these events!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Scruffy, paul sent me the info. I am really looking forward to these events!
Awallright! Note that some events require a Snell SA rated helmet. M rated helmets will be rejected. If you do not have an SA helmet then tell them you will use one of their loaners, and keep your own helmet hidden in your pit area. That's what I did, and I used my own helmet when I ran. This may not work if ten of you try this. Bell has a fairly nice SA helmet that is also open faced. Open faced helmets are best for autocross because you need all the vision you can get. They are also a bit cooler in the summer. I now have an SA2005 helmet. No, you cannot borrow it and move it car to car for the inspection.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Id love to go but I dont have a helmet and ive never autox'd in my life... Id feel out of place lol.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GT3 RS Scruffy
Awallright! Note that some events require a Snell SA rated helmet. M rated helmets will be rejected. If you do not have an SA helmet then tell them you will use one of their loaners, and keep your own helmet hidden in your pit area. That's what I did, and I used my own helmet when I ran. This may not work if ten of you try this. Bell has a fairly nice SA helmet that is also open faced. Open faced helmets are best for autocross because you need all the vision you can get. They are also a bit cooler in the summer. I now have an SA2005 helmet. No, you cannot borrow it and move it car to car for the inspection.
Sigh, well that sucks. I might have to price out a new helmet then.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 19DB794
Id love to go but I dont have a helmet and ive never autox'd in my life... Id feel out of place lol.
considering the speed of the course, and the level of drivers at this event - you'd be much better off at a test and tune event. they are an awesome way to learn auto-x and the limits of your car. I know i'll be a regular at the test and tune events until i start driving more competitively.

Last edited by EvoBroMA; Aug 21, 2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 19DB794
Id love to go but I dont have a helmet and ive never autox'd in my life... Id feel out OFF COURSElol.
These events are very tough if you have never done autocross before. Most of your brainpower gets spent on finding the next cone. Only thing that helps that is seat time. Test and Tune is the way to start because the T&T courses are much smaller and easier to memorize.

Wifey and I have 14 autocross events left for this season.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:24 AM

I just got this off of a Miata autocross forum. Scruffy AKA Mussel Kar. I need to play the lottery.

Oh yeah, Mussel Karr, I saw your green Porsche hit a cone which flipped through the air and landed in the box safely at corner 4. The first time I've ever seen that....awesome!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

I just got this off of a Miata autocross forum. Scruffy AKA Mussel Kar. I need to play the lottery.

Oh yeah, Mussel Karr, I saw your green Porsche hit a cone which flipped through the air and landed in the box safely at corner 4. The first time I've ever seen that....awesome!

Hahah! That just means you're an expert, right?

I saw someone flip a cone at a T&T day...it landed upright but nowhere near the box!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet... no penalty! LOL.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:44 PM

I was expecting...

Not an expert but..I ran the second fastest non Miata time that day.

Quick Reply: Devens Autocross events comming up.