Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Passing emissions/smog in upstate NY

Old Apr 7, 2014, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Passing emissions/smog in upstate NY

Hello all,

I posted this in the NE section but didn't get much response other than to make a trip to STM in Rochester. This is a great suggestion but want to avoid the trip if I can.

I have my stock cat that I can throw back on the car and detune it back to stock for the test but I am witout a garage right now so getting under the car is a big hassle. Parking lot wrencher lol.

Is there any way to pass emissions in NY with a test pipe? All it says on the DMV site is that my car needs to pass the OBD-II scan. Is there a visual test or a sniffer test here as well? Will they make a big fuss about my ETS intake (do they look under the hood for the visual?)?

Any input or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The visual test usually means just a mirror passed under the car looking for test pipes or non-foulers

They don't open the hood...

For the short time you have the cat back on - you won't need a tune...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah you need to have a cat on the car for sure, unless you know someone somewhere but it's still illegal. They don't care about the other mods on it as long as it passes the safety check and the plug in you're ok
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

I see. Yeah it looks like I just need to throw my cat backon. reflash to stock is not really a hassle since AP but I see your point. I will just take it easy over to the shop for the test and throw by test pipe back on after...now to find an empty lot. haha
Old Apr 8, 2014, 06:34 AM

Where in upstate NY?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Im in Buffalo
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Errr i guess its western NY...sorry still arent very familiar with the area.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NY does no emissions testing on obd2 vehicles. As long as you have no check engine light you can technically pass. Does the test pipe look anything like a cat?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
NY does no emissions testing on obd2 vehicles. As long as you have no check engine light you can technically pass. Does the test pipe look anything like a cat?
While they don't have a smog like California they most certainly inspect to see if there is a cat in place so no you can't pass if you don't have one. Sorry to burst your bubble. OP pm me I'm also from buffalo. I believe I can help you out
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
It is a resonated test pipe so it doesn't look like a regular test pipe but is pretty fat in the middle. I don't think it looks like an OEM cat though...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
While they don't have a smog like California they most certainly inspect to see if there is a cat in place so no you can't pass if you don't have one. Sorry to burst your bubble. OP pm me I'm also from buffalo. I believe I can help you out
So i guess you're speaking for every shop that does inspections now in NY. Most places I've been to care more about tires , brakes and suspension to even care about the exhaust.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

In Ny... You have to have a catalyst. The car is suppose to go on a lift and be checked out. The inspectors job is to verify that the car is equipped with the emissions devices it came with. We then have to punch the info into the dmv computer that we in fact verified this info. Next step is to plug it into the nyvip computer and the machine verifies readiness and takes a snap shot of all available monitors and a vin if possible.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by packrat
In Ny... You have to have a catalyst. The car is suppose to go on a lift and be checked out. The inspectors job is to verify that the car is equipped with the emissions devices it came with. We then have to punch the info into the dmv computer that we in fact verified this info. Next step is to plug it into the nyvip computer and the machine verifies readiness and takes a snap shot of all available monitors and a vin if possible.
Thank you. I love when other members post who have no clue what they're talking about. I don't even do inspections and I know this is the required procedure for NYS inspections.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
Thank you. I love when other members post who have no clue what they're talking about. I don't even do inspections and I know this is the required procedure for NYS inspections.
Required procedure is one thing. I am aware you are suppose to have one. But again you are assuming every shop will check for one which from my experience is not the case. The op can even weld the shield from the cat onto the testpipe and it will look like a cat and that will pass.

Last edited by rcheung; Apr 8, 2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

ok you guys can stop arguing please. 05OrangeSS is fully aware of the fact that you can get pass the visual inspection. I cannot weld the shield back on due to the test pipe being resonated and it very fat in the middle of the pipe.

Anyways, thanks again 05OrangeSS for the tips. Much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passing emissions/smog in upstate NY