Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

NYS Tint Law- Inspections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenfire
So I still pose the question... what is the stock tint on an EvoX? Does anyone know?
Mine didn't come with any stock tint nor did any of the other Evo X's I was considering
Old Jan 25, 2017, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All cars come with a tint on it from factory if you put any tint at all you automatically failed factory windows are 80%
Old Jan 26, 2017, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone needs to put a light meter on a stock evo window. If you add 90% tint to the 80%, that should give you 70%.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldnt worry too much..for now.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
I was pulled over last week. Out of inspection. No front plate. Illegal tint.
Talked my way out of the plate, and I told him I had inspection for THAT NIGHT (that part was true).
He hit me for the inspection anyhow and told me the tint was illegal. I said that it is VERY LIGHT tint and he took my registration and held it on the glass and said "YEP TOO DARK". So I did the yes sir bit and he let it go and said that the inspection will fail it. So at inspection at mitsu they put some sort of meter on it and it was 45% DARK. You can only have 30% DARK (so 70% light going through). This is for FRONT WINDOWS and BACK WINDOWS (not rear window though). So the dealer removed my tint for me to pass inspection

~Jaraxle
Old Feb 28, 2017, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^This sucks, but thanks for the update.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 03:29 PM

SUV Factory tint on rear windows

Today I removed what seemed to be 33% tint from the front driver and passenger windows. Originally I was attempted to get the vehicle inspected, the guy at the inspection station pulls out the tint %age reader and tells me that the percentage is 31% and that the legal limit for Massachusetts is 35%... Of course he has to put his two cents in, and tells me that if it was 33% which is 2% below the legal standard he would inspect the vehicle but because it's 4% lower than the state requirement he cannot. He suggests that I get the window film removed and come back.

I had the film removed from the front and passenger door windows as mentioned above went back to the place where I tried to get the vehicle inspected, same gentleman that I worked with comes out to the car, walks around the vehicle and tells me he cannot inspect the vehicle. As we go back and forth stating that I was here and his recommendations that was all I needed to remove and or fix to get inspected, he tells me the rear door windows the quarter size windows and the rear windshield tint have to be removed. I tell him that I had asked him if there was anything else I needed as well as the gentleman who removed the tent from the front windows showed me that there is no film to be removed from any of the rear windows that the factory tint is a die that they embed into the window itself right from the factory so there is nothing to be removed It's impossible to remove anything that doesn't exist I would literally have to have all the rear windows removed completely from the car and then have see-through clear glass reinstalled on the vehicle I've never heard of that in my life I'm now in my early '60s and I can't believe what just happened.

Any thoughts comments or suggestions, please ?? !!
Old Aug 30, 2023, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
SUV is a different category. The guy is wrong.
Look up your state laws online.

Old Aug 30, 2023, 04:45 PM

Inspection

[

QUOTE=Jaraxle;11972158]SUV is a different category. The guy is wrong.
Look up your state laws online.[/QUOTE]

Hello, appreciate the reply / response. Definitely got to get a different opinion and it's strict as all these states are you would think it would be streamlined across each particular state and yet you get a different answer from one facility to the next where did the days go when you could just stroll in the guy tells you if you need a few things fixed to pass didn't cost you long and a leg if that's the route you took or throw him a couple extra dollars for the inconvenience so that you don't have to come back rip the power cart repair this that and the other spend hundreds of dollars unnecessarily just to put a piece of paper on the windshield
Old Sep 1, 2023, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
lol all the wrong responses!!!!

At all state inspection sites, there's one thing they don't inspect, can anyone guess why that is?
They don't inspect it, and it's not part of the window functionality test.
It's not within the scope of vehicle inspection to test window operation.
So, the simple solution is, if you have window tints?
Yes, you can remove the fuse, and they can't compel you to fix it or raise the windows.
Yes, it's a bit of a catch-22 for them.
of course make sure it’s not a rainy day or winter lol.
Trust me, it works!

Last edited by DRAGHICI; Sep 1, 2023 at 04:13 AM.