Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Hyper-Formance Road Rally

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by machron1
Let me tell you where I'm getting my view,

These are sanctioning bodies:

SCCA
FIA
Rally America

Notice the transparency and wealth of information....

This "Mad Max" character claims "RallySport" is sanctioned by an organization called the "National RallySport Association." Now, what kind of sanctioning body has no contact information and is located within a private section of a website of one of the organizations they supposedly sanction? Also, what kind of sanctioning body is comprised solely of sponsors? Isn't that a conflict of interest? If there really is such a thing as the "National RallySport Association", it is national in name only, and can only be loosely defined as an organization, not an official sanctioning body.

I see it like this:
If I had a friend named "Superman" and I introduced him to everyone as "The Real Superman" it would be technically true, but it would also be purposely deceptive. McDonald's was sued (and lost) because they used to claim they used "100% American Beef"...Well, that was technically true because they got their beef from a company called "American Beef." However, all their cows were raised in South America somewhere
I'm agreeing with you on this one. The next time I talk with Max I'm going to bring this up. I completely agree they should strive to be sanctioned by an already governing organization, not just making on up to suit their needs. On the other hand, the prizes they were handing out are real, so, eh, what the hell...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twardOZRally
I'm agreeing with you on this one. The next time I talk with Max I'm going to bring this up. I completely agree they should strive to be sanctioned by an already governing organization, not just making on up to suit their needs. On the other hand, the prizes they were handing out are real, so, eh, what the hell...
Yeah there are non-sanctioned things like this, and there isn't anything inherently wrong with them. It's just that you have to look at them a different way. For instance, I know if I go to an SCCA event, there is probably no need to double check the legality of what I'm doing, whether I need a permit, etc. I trust that the SCCA has done all the leg work necessary. If a cop arrives at an Auto-X, I know I'm not going to see 100 people jump in their cars and scramble.

However, with something like this I'm more likely to check the laws and/or not participate at all. I mean, if a cop pulled me over in the middle of an event, and told me I was participating in an illegal street race or something, who knows maybe I am And in my defense, instead of saying "Well this event was sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America..." I would instead have to say that "This guy named Mad Max said it was sanctioned by a super secret organization that I do not even know exists for certain..." And if/when "Mad Max" was questioned, he could say "hey one of our rules is you don't get tickets, he broke the rules"

It is fine to have an unsanctioned event, and I'm sure it's fun and the prizes are top notch, I just don't appreciate being fooled in an attempt to further this guy's cause. And, if he's willing to lie about this, I can't see how I could personally trust him in organizing an event that could conceivably put me at risk of driving points, jail time, or even personal injury or death.

Last edited by machron1; Dec 27, 2004 at 08:41 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

And, if he's willing to lie about this, I can't see how I could personally trust him in organizing an event that could conceivably put me at risk of driving points, jail time, or even personal injury or death.
Exactly.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure where he's lying tho? And you are not required to do anything illegal to compete in the events. The local and state police are all notified of when the events are and where all of the checkpoints are, they are more than welcome to come and watch us. But on a safety/legality note, I know that companies such as GI Joes would not be willing to put up large amounts of money in sponsorship to support this organization if the legality and safety were questionable. (GI Joes has not been finalized, but they were greatly impressed by the organization and quality of the even they hosted for us.)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm goin back-and-forth on this, but I am supporting both sides of this here. I am a team-captain, so it's part of the responsibilities I have accepted. If you want to ask questions directly to Max, go ahead and create a user on our forums www.hyperformancemotorsports.com , PM him as 'Mad Max', I know he does read this forum occasionally, but it's easier to reach him with a PM on the other site.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure where he's lying tho? And you are not required to do anything illegal to compete in the events. The local and state police are all notified of when the events are and where all of the checkpoints are, they are more than welcome to come and watch us. But on a safety/legality note, I know that companies such as GI Joes would not be willing to put up large amounts of money in sponsorship to support this organization if the legality and safety were questionable. (GI Joes has not been finalized, but they were greatly impressed by the organization and quality of the even they hosted for us.)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm goin back-and-forth on this, but I am supporting both sides of this here. I am a team-captain, so it's part of the responsibilities I have accepted. If you want to ask questions directly to Max, go ahead and create a user on our forums www.hyperformancemotorsports.com , PM him as 'Mad Max', I know he does read this forum occasionally, but it's easier to reach him with a PM on the other site.
Well, it's just my view, but if someone tells me their event is sanctioned and it's not, it seems like a lie. Without sanctioning, a boxing match would be a street brawl, a rally race would be crazy people driving on public roads, etc. All those things CAN be done without sanctioning, but it just makes it that much harder to legitimize and standardize.

I'm not saying this whole thing isn't on the up-and-up, legal, and good clean fun, I'm just saying I don't appreciate being shall we say "mislead". I fully trust the SCCA, but I don't know this guy from Adam if you know what I mean. It just doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

You are right, GI Joe's wouldn't put up money for an event solely conjured by "Mad Max" *BUT* if they were to be "officially sanctioned" by the "Nantional RallySport Association" they might...know what I mean?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:13 PM

Have you contacted the local and state police to confirm that they know anything about this? I can assure you they do not.

You wanna see something funny? Next time you talk to Max slip up and call him Aaron. And instead of calling it "National RallySport Association" call it "North West RallySport Association", or just NWRSA.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Coral
Have you contacted the local and state police to confirm that they know anything about this? I can assure you they do not.

You wanna see something funny? Next time you talk to Max slip up and call him Aaron. And instead of calling it "National RallySport Association" call it "North West RallySport Association", or just NWRSA.
What are you saying?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Coral

I do want to apologize to you Coral for what happened. After all of the things that have been raised on this thread I want to sit down and have some serious discussion with him. Especially the way he handled your contact with him. I did not like hearing the way he treated a fellow mitsu lover.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

What are you saying?
Coral was apart of the old road rally that didn't work out so well for the participants.

I think she needs to explain all the good details.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Coral, what was "Aaron's" last name? I am interested, want to do some research...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

after talking with coral, and with machron1 it does seem hesitant to me. i probably wont be involved, which kind of dissapoints me cause it sounded fun. the cons wayyy outweigh the pros, and i am hesitant to bring myself, car, family, codriver, freinds, whatever, into a situation i feel to say the least "sketchy" about. regardless i hope the rest of you have a good time, and thank you much for pointing out hazard signs coral. good luck to everyone who decides to be involved.
Josh
Old Dec 27, 2004, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

can you guys share the details of what you discussed? as I am trying to be fairly well involved in this I would like to know what's up...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

pm her, she just warned me as to be cautious of involvement. nothing bad, then i discussed it with machron, because i saw his car pixs on the website.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:30 AM

Campbell.... or some spelling variation of that.

Coral, what was "Aaron's" last name? I am interested, want to do some research...
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I had a long conversation with Max the other night. He would like me to let you guys know that any of the organizers, drivers, navigators, 'sponsors', literally anyone, involved in this other rallysport attempt last year is NOT involved with HMS. They are purposefully distancing themselves from those individuals.

For those with questions about NRSA, he did raise a valid point as well. Who was the governing body of the SCCA when they began? They had to create one. The NRSA is the governing body of HMS. It is made of sponsors, they have the finaly say in the events as to what happens. They will not put us in harms way, as this would reflect poorly on their business and their association with HMS.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Formance Road Rally