Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Dealers selling catless cars?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealers selling catless cars?

Walker Renton Mitsu has a modded up '03 Evo in stock:

http://www.diamondlot.com/cgi/info.e...&dealer=WALKMS

One of the interesting things about it is that it doesn't have a cat. Does anyone even know the WA law on this?

No, I'm not so stupid to take the thing outright, but, if I could get them to part out the performance pieces, well, it's got a lot of otherwise expensive bits on it...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:19 PM

History (as near as I can tell

World One built the car out for the orginal owner. The car changed hands from the original owner to a ma and pa auto lot, who had no luck selling it, before Walker picked it up from them.

Now, I spoke to Garrett at World One yesterday and his assertion is that the car is not really done. I would tend to agree. (Replacement radiator but no cams? Coilovers but no corner balance? etc..)

Now, the issue I have with the car is not World One's work, I'm pretty sure World One's work is gold. The issue is that the car has now spent several months sitting on two seperate dealerships lots, and god only knows what's been done to it in that time frame.

Now, the Walker guys are offering the car, as-is, but aren't even allowing a test drive without down payment. Garret has already mentioned that the car had a habit of stalling at stop lights after a hard drive because the BOV is venting to the atmosphere and not recirculating. (Sidebar: is this a momentary lean or rich condition?)

As near as I can tell, the only way I would trust the thing is with a good hard test drive, capped off with a dyno pull, compression check, and full inspection by the World One guys and maybe a third party as well.

So is it feasable to get Walker to consider a part out?

btw. I know the World One guys read here, if you want to chime in, please do...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not gonna happen. Labor plus new stock parts would make it too expensive.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I love the "fastest EVO in town" statement. There are alot of faster EVO's in the Seattle area. I saw 8 yesterday.

VTA BOV's cause a rich condition and the aftermarket intake sure as hell doesn't help when it comes to stalling. Looks like it has that POS HKS valve on there too. Why people buy unadjustable BOV's is beyond me. I guess the sound impresses all the high school kids though. That must be worth something, right?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm, 20k in parts eh? i would like to see a break-down of all the parts installed...
Old Apr 25, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

The really funny thing is that Walker Mitsu is one of the most **** places in the NW regarding voiding warantees based on even very basic mods.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

that's the same dealership that called Mitsu to report my mods and that they saw me on the track. they tried to void my warranty until the service manager from bellevue mitsubishi (before they closed) called and contested it on my behalf. god, i hate those ****** !
Old Apr 25, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

they used to sell that by (Seattle) Costco for 27g. I guess walker bought from them.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by MeKilla
hmmm, 20k in parts eh? i would like to see a break-down of all the parts installed...
HKS HyperMax II Coilovers
Gialla Front Bumper with Carbon Air Ducts
Turbo XS UTEC
Titanium Turboback with Perrin cat-delete
ARC Front Mount Intercooler
ARC Racing Radiator
ARC Titanium Front Strut tower brace
ARC Uper Intake Induction Box
HKS Super Sequentail Blowoff Valve
Manual Boost Controller
Blitz Dual Turbo Timer
Evo 7 Tail lights
Perrin Shorty Antenna
ARC Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield
Custom upper and lower intercooler piping

edit: Forgot the Works Wheels and BF Goodrich tires

Last edited by joshbu; Apr 25, 2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:56 PM

Any good places to take my Evo for a warranty claim now that Bellevue is closed? Looks like Walkers is out of the question
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Airs
Any good places to take my Evo for a warranty claim now that Bellevue is closed? Looks like Walkers is out of the question
Mountain Mitsu in Tacoma seems to be your best bet these days.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:48 PM

I don't think it's just WA law but it's a federal EPA law that mandates a cat. I wonder what the original owner do with the cat?

I didn't know this until last year... junk yards/shops are not allowed to sell used catalytic converters. If you don't have a cat and it's time to get your emission test for new tabs you will have a problem. I don't know how much a new cat costs but I reckon it's going to be expensive.

I try to keep all my stock parts when I upgrade...

Originally Posted by joshbu
Walker Renton Mitsu has a modded up '03 Evo in stock:

http://www.diamondlot.com/cgi/info.e...&dealer=WALKMS

One of the interesting things about it is that it doesn't have a cat. Does anyone even know the WA law on this?

No, I'm not so stupid to take the thing outright, but, if I could get them to part out the performance pieces, well, it's got a lot of otherwise expensive bits on it...
Old Apr 25, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, here's a good way of getting back at Walker for voiding those warranties - find out if there's a way we can blow the whistle on them for selling cars that aren't compliant with emission laws. Maybe they'll get their dealership license put on "restricted status" .
Old Apr 25, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by bukhumnoi2000
I don't think it's just WA law but it's a federal EPA law that mandates a cat. I wonder what the original owner do with the cat?

I didn't know this until last year... junk yards/shops are not allowed to sell used catalytic converters. If you don't have a cat and it's time to get your emission test for new tabs you will have a problem. I don't know how much a new cat costs but I reckon it's going to be expensive.

I try to keep all my stock parts when I upgrade...
Most of the stock parts, including the cat, wheels, tires, and more are at World One's shop.

If you're looking for a stock part cheap, you might give them a call...
Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
Ok, here's a good way of getting back at Walker for voiding those warranties - find out if there's a way we can blow the whistle on them for selling cars that aren't compliant with emission laws. Maybe they'll get their dealership license put on "restricted status" .
you think an anonymous call to the dmv might work? we need the vin number of that car

Quick Reply: Dealers selling catless cars?