Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

flat tire and Les Schwab told me....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z4k
I have to replace 4 tires aat less then 4000 miles cause my front 2 suffered improper wear and Ill never buy Yokos again. So Ring my up for 4 Azenis.
Why blame the Advans? They are an awesome tire, just a little pricey. Wish I could afford a second set. The exact same thing will happen to your new Falkens unless you get your car aligned.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:49 PM
z4k

Originally Posted by Boder
Why blame the Advans? They are an awesome tire, just a little pricey. Wish I could afford a second set. The exact same thing will happen to your new Falkens unless you get your car aligned.
I was aligned and checked again when the tires started with the vibrations. Still in spec. Air Pressure checked every week.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by farslayr
Got a nail in a stock Advan tire. The nail is on the shoulder of the tire and I didn't think they would be able to fix it. But get this..

They wouldn't even quote me a price for a single tire... Gave me an "all wheel drive" - "different tire size" line.. Wanted to sell me all 4 tires or none..

Needless to say - I walked..! The tire only has a little over 20k miles on it..

What ya think - a load of BS or what..? BTW this is the Les Schawb in Lacey.

far
Do not go to Les Schawb. .

I took my car for a tire rotation and they call me and said I needed 4 new tires because my tires were past the rubber (they could see the wires).
It was strange for me because even when I knew the tires were bald (almost) in one corner, I did not think they were that bad.

After trying to sell me every brand they had, (Which I refused, because the reason I went for a rotation was to go to an autocross, and they do not have any 160 threadwear or lessrated tires).

I decided to make the rotation myself.
Guess what? Just as I thought, they were pulling my legs, (or wallet)
-------------------------
EDITED
________
This happend on the Forest Grove, in Oregon , .

After my autocross, and still with bald tires, but still on one corner and plenty of rubber, went to American Tires for a new set of Neovas.

Edited so the thread is clean and non offensive

Still, I do not think they are honest because they did lie. Unless they have an x-ray machine, there is no way they saw the wires.

Never ever will I go to them.
Be advised and warned.

Best price for tires is Costco and American Tire (who match price from other stores)

Last edited by supersupra; Apr 6, 2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
SuperSupra your entire post boggles the mind. If they were that bad why didnt you report it the BBB? I find it far more likely that you dont know what to look for, dont understand the industry, and probably didnt understand what you were told.

The fact that you knew you had at least one bad tire and still went there of course they are going to sell you tires. They dont rotate tires for the fun of it they are a business after all.

And then this gem-

I learned they are masters of thievery. And perhaps because they are marked by a lack of honesty. Probably pathological liars. This happend on the Forest Grove, in Oregon , But most likely normal practice with instructions from their headquarter corporate management.
I am speechless. Read this-

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=30
Old Apr 3, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with JohnBradley, the previous post has stupidity written all over it. I've had nothing but great experiences with Les Schwab.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Totally agree Supersupra has no idea about the tire industry. Why would a business risk their *** to rotate a set of bald tires for what $20?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are misunderstanding what Supra is talking about. Les Schwab is known for telling you that your tires are bald and need to be replaced. I went in there with my advans that had only 4k miles on them and went in for a rotation and to get some prices on some wheels. The tech comes back to me and tells me that the tires are bald and that he can see the wires comming through the tire so he wont rotate them. Then of course the sales weasle tries to get me to buy new tires but, using my Jim_P favorite, I called BS on them. I walk out into their shop and see 4 perfectly, almost new advans sitting on my wheels.

So I of course asked them to explain what was wrong with the tires and the guy starts pointing at the inner edge of the tread and telling me that its worn too low, which it wasnt. I couldnt figure out what kind of mind game they were playing. Maybe if I had eaten the pop corn first, it would have all made sense why I should buy new tires when I already had new tires. Or maybe not. Anyway, I wont go to Les Schwab either, they are scam artists that pretend to have good customer service. You can get better service without the BS at Discount Tires or Costco.

What Supra didnt make clear in his post was that the tires were still within the tread specs for the car. If they werent, then he shouldnt have passed the Auto-x inspection.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 02:18 PM

^^ thats what I'm talking about!

OK so I was a dork when I first posted that I had so many miles on my tires.. But my point was that they didn't have much wear on them either, as I only had about 4k on mine too.. I don't have cords or belts showing on any part of my tires..

Schwab, didn't ask me anything about the tires - like mileage or ANYTHING.
They just said "You have to buy 4 tires." No discussion what-so-ever.. They wouldn't even give me a price on a single tire.. Either 4 or none..

Look, I'm not cheap and I could afford new rubber if I needed it, but the way they handled it was pretty lame..

MUCH different experience at Discount..

PS - and I hate the way Schwab comes running out to your car, when you pull up..!
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
My point is not that they made a bad call. My point is that to blanket statement a company because of a few experiences is retarded. There is no excuse for it at all. How often do you think they deal with tires that have cambered shoulders or that like the taste of rubber? Supra claimed that their employees have instructions from their corporate headquarters to be dishonest and that they are pathological liars. What would you think if you had never dealt with them before, just moved here from god knows where and read crap like this? 99% of the time Les Schwab will go above and beyond to fix problems. If you had a problem like this, grow some ballz and ask for the manager. Talking crap behind anyones back cause you arent man enough to do it to their face is spineless and cowardly.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:25 PM

so having tires that are further then 2/32 tread difference will cause damage to the evo driveline? seriously? ball hair....
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

gotta do 4 on AWD
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by farslayr
that sucks - I gotta buy 4 tires because of one little nail.. crap, it wasn't even leaking air until they pulled it at schwab.. guess I'm gonna have a set of BBS wheels for sale soon...
I will take the BBS's
Old Apr 5, 2007, 06:42 PM

as long as the belts arent showing i know les schwab should patch it. this is also up to the dealer. i had a nail go through my stock advans at 38k. took to les schwab in federal way, wouldn't patch. then took it down to one in kent and patched it no questions asked. 1k miles later patch still fine.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
My point is not that they made a bad call. My point is that to blanket statement a company because of a few experiences is retarded. There is no excuse for it at all. How often do you think they deal with tires that have cambered shoulders or that like the taste of rubber? Supra claimed that their employees have instructions from their corporate headquarters to be dishonest and that they are pathological liars. What would you think if you had never dealt with them before, just moved here from god knows where and read crap like this? 99% of the time Les Schwab will go above and beyond to fix problems. If you had a problem like this, grow some ballz and ask for the manager. Talking crap behind anyones back cause you arent man enough to do it to their face is spineless and cowardly.
I dont know about the company instructions thing, but I know that its not just one bad experience thats occured here. I know of at least 7 different people, well 8 now, that this has happened. If all you have had is good experiences, then good for you. But you are only 1 of 8, so I would tend to not trust them for repair. Especially when other companies like Costco, and Discount / Americas Tire have never given me, or anyone I know, any issues like this. Not to mention they are much much cheaper, and dont charge you for remounts etc. Les Schwab wanted to charge me 38$ for new lug nuts when I looked at getting wheels. Discount tire gave me the same wheels for $100 less ea, and gave me the lugs for free. And for the record, I did report my experience to the BBB, as so should everyone else. The next time you are in their store you will notice that they have not been on the approved BBB customer list for 3 years now.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
SuperSupra your entire post boggles the mind. If they were that bad why didnt you report it the BBB? I find it far more likely that you dont know what to look for, dont understand the industry, and probably didnt understand what you were told.

The fact that you knew you had at least one bad tire and still went there of course they are going to sell you tires. They dont rotate tires for the fun of it they are a business after all.

And then this gem-

I am speechless. Read this-

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=30
Listen,

Obviously my post was not clear.
You do not understand that the tire, even if it was bald, did not have the wires comming through the tire and no rubber covering it, as they actually said.
From that to the reality, that the thread was almost gone (“almost” , not complete,). The inner side of the tire was the only part affected, the outer was about 50%., hence why the “bald” term.
Furthermore, if the whole tire had the same thread as the bald part, the tire would be considered with 10% life.

Now from that to needing to replace 4 tires because the car is AWD. And in fact I ran the autocross, and the tires lasted at least 1000 miles more.

________
EDITED
_________
Edited so the thread is clean and non offensive .Still, I do not think they are honest because they did lie. Unless they have an x-ray machine, there is no way they saw the wires.
My recommendation for this store stands.

Last edited by supersupra; Apr 6, 2007 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: flat tire and Les Schwab told me....