Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

fender rolling in wa??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears
Instead of making another thread I wanted to bump this. My buddy clubs are going on next weekend most likely and they are fairly aggressive and need fender rolling in the rear. I wanted to weight my options. So far I have heard these shops/people do it:

Westwerks
Group2motorsports
Ryon's friend

Anybody have any feedback on them? I know two people who had their cars done at G2. One was a G35 and it turned out nice, the other was a friends Audi A4 and his fenders were cracked all to hell. I want to avoid cracking my paint at all costs really and no I don't want to cut them with a dremel. Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

Sorry my buddy no longer lives in washington state.... Unless you want to drive to Montana to have it done.... Be careful who you go to.... Jake and Arsha did one of his rear quarters and it swelled out a little... Not to say that they weren't careful, just some food for thought.....
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See this is what I am worried about. My luck I'd screw it up myself and I'm not sure what shop to trust. Honestly I really hate taking my car anywhere but I don't feel I could adequately do this or I would. So this leaves me with group2 or wwerks. Anybody had their fenders rolled by them???
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xturdfergusonx
Sorry my buddy no longer lives in washington state.... Unless you want to drive to Montana to have it done.... Be careful who you go to.... Jake and Arsha did one of his rear quarters and it swelled out a little... Not to say that they weren't careful, just some food for thought.....
It was John and I. And you can hardly notice where it budged. It can easy be put back in.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

I wasn't quite done lol but it was dark and late, we can always go for round 2 next time
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
It was John and I. And you can hardly notice where it budged. It can easy be put back in.

I wasn't bad mouthing your guys job, as I stated.... and I am sure that you can put it back to the way it was, but.... And I am sure Derek is quite aware of this.... As you bend a piece of metal, than bend it again, it begins to weaken where the bend was made.... Rolling your quaters should be a one time thing, ohterwise there is some expensive bodywork to be done......

Also jake, you and I both know some evo owners are ALOT pickier than either of us. What is barely noticable to you and me is an eyesore to someone else.....

Last edited by xturdfergusonx; Jun 18, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I been doing reading on it all day. Actually looks like something I could do myself fairly easy if I take my time. I'd rather take it to a shop that has done it quite a few times but a heat gun and a roller should do the trick. I don't need any serious rolling, they are 17x9 +28 but at the track they will rub with 255's I believe in the back.

Im going to call wwerks tommorow but does anybody have a fender roller they would rent out? I think the normal due is like $50 which I could give.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

extreme auto salon in federal way rents them out... ask Jake how much he paid to use it when John and him did his car.....
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a fender roller you can use. it only works on the back fenders until it gets modified.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nothere
I have a fender roller you can use. it only works on the back fenders until it gets modified.
Awesome have you ever used it? Any pointers?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do to my impatience I cracked the paint.
so you don't want my help.

I'd suggest getting the heat on the fender before you put the roller on the studs*, and keep heating.... Its just too easy to get started rolling before you heat the paint.
figure some time, the caliper needs to be set aside.

once you have a bend on the lip doing more will warp the body
Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xturdfergusonx
I wasn't bad mouthing your guys job, as I stated.... and I am sure that you can put it back to the way it was, but.... And I am sure Derek is quite aware of this.... As you bend a piece of metal, than bend it again, it begins to weaken where the bend was made.... Rolling your quaters should be a one time thing, ohterwise there is some expensive bodywork to be done......

Also jake, you and I both know some evo owners are ALOT pickier than either of us. What is barely noticable to you and me is an eyesore to someone else.....
Oh i know you were not bad mouthing out job, i was just saying. My back fenders were already f ucked from rubbing, so it made it really hard to keep it from bulging out..

Honestly, if you have not done it before derek, and are worried about ****ing up, your going to **** up... and I would highly suggest two people. One to hold the heat gun and check the temp every few seconds, and one rolling.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

I would suggest NOT rolling it at all but either cutting it or sanding it down with a high speed sander. CBRD cuts them only but a small rotary sander will work even better with easier to control. I took a little off in the rear on my car and will take more off when I lower it more. Just tape it to death and put cardboard on the outside if your worried. Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Rolling it is fine... just got to have someone do it that has done it before and will do a good job.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
I would suggest NOT rolling it at all but either cutting it or sanding it down with a high speed sander. CBRD cuts them only but a small rotary sander will work even better with easier to control. I took a little off in the rear on my car and will take more off when I lower it more. Just tape it to death and put cardboard on the outside if your worried. Cheers.
I was under the impression that rolling keeps the quarter panel more ridged whereas cutting takes that lip off.

I had thought about just taking a high speed cutter and leave about 1-2mm of a lip on there. Enough where it should still be strong but not enough to hit the tire I don't believe.

So I guess this now brings the debate of rolling vs cutting? Whats safer and easier?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Correct - you can still get a good amount of material off and not take the entire lip off. Make a mark and sand down to the mark.

Quick Reply: fender rolling in wa??