Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

ORP review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ORP review

Drove ORP yesterday with the "Star" group. They ran a format that worked pretty well with the course. North half/ South half, a group of cars on each end running a direction then switching directions then switching compass half's.

Taken as halfs you have two tight courses, one, north, is basically all corners linked together. South end has a straight and some longer links that approach straight pieces of track.

As soon as you get a straight look for a blind corner coming up. Lots of hills that crest with a view you didn't have a second ago.
For being out in farm land you would never think there were so many hills and valleys.
What seems like a lot of off camber corners made up with two corners that would make a skateboarder thrilled.

After doing each end both directions they did full course, which added a another link of more or less straight with more elevation change.

The track format helped the learning curve, but it takes a lot of time, to drive the whole track, without already being beat, would take a new day. We also suffered from a wind chill below zero. Wind was uncommonly high, the locals said, but the windmills dotting the landscape in the distance said to expect some wind.

Horse power helps but the evo rocks because of the cornering. You're not driving here to find a top speed on your speedometer. You're zig-zagging and grasping at speed punches.
Bring fresh tires. And be cautious till the corners come routine.

I watched an advanced group run a car off in every lap (nearly) on one corner.

Thats it, forgive my formatting, little sleep and late for work.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds interesting for sure. Did anyone take pics or videos? With the track still being sans- curbling and run-off-less; taking it easy is probably the best tactic.

So was it mostly 3rd gear through the corners or 4th?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait.... Well I can actually, I gotta figure out what I'm going to do with my Evo. I need to get a DD and all my 'real' problems would go away...
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Once the finishing touches are done it will be a sweet track. Its lots of fun as there are a lot of corners that work well.

The disappointments right now: gravel road from Grass Valley to the track ~3 ish miles.
No curbs, no markers for anything.
No 92 octane gas for thirty miles, each way. So you'd have to drive in and out on your track tires and lose an hour, unless you pack it in.
You're in the middle of nowhere as far as anything.

Aside from the nowhere bit everything else should shake out sooner or later.

got there the night before and saw these:
the pic doesn't give the width of the windmill base, its wide, maybe more than 12 feet. There are hundreds of them north of the track on both sides of the Columbia.
Attached Thumbnails ORP review-mar28_0001.jpg   ORP review-mar28_0002.jpg  

Last edited by nothere; Mar 30, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
Sounds interesting for sure. Did anyone take pics or videos? With the track still being sans- curbling and run-off-less; taking it easy is probably the best tactic.

So was it mostly 3rd gear through the corners or 4th?

I'm trying to recollect, about 40/60 there are a few slow corners but there are some that are up a grade that need third.

3b through 7 at PR is a good idea of the track, although the pavement is so nice at ORP. The off is a little less dramatic for the most part too.

I looked at a data log of throttle, the 100% tps were few and short per lap when doing the half course. I didn't study it yet but they were not more than a second it appeared. That was learning the track and then driving for the first time though.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What turn was the worst for going off?

defiantly expect to be taking it easy, the gas thing kinda sucks. Gonna make sure i take the gas can. It'll get better!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

It was on the south course,

Going counterclockwise there is a kink in the straight and then downhill, a big left that comes up blind. Its big time off camber but the camber isn't the problem. They were about mid turn. When you walk the turn the camber looks bad but when you drive it, it seems fine.

Think of turn 2 at PR or 1 PIR (no bus stop)(mirrored) only the straight has been down hill the last third and then the track crests to a big left which is downhill too. Its a blind hill/corner.
These guys were the race drivers, the hpde guys didn't have the nads to over cook the hill/corner.

You will love the rhythm of some of the corner combinations.

What day are you going to? when?

Last edited by nothere; Apr 4, 2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 09:11 AM

april 16th with palatov motorsports, he plans on running full course CW in the morning, CCW in the afternoon. 6-7 sessions of 40 min.

then april 18th with PCA, CW on saturday, CCW on Sunday. I'm only doing saturday. $$$ week!

I can't wait!

Did you eat at any of the local places?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Star brought out some pizza from the grocery market in grass valley, pretty good.

if you get a cenex gas card, I think you can buy gas in Moro~ 9 miles.

you will have a ball.

16th should be big time.

if you are staying over, the motel in moro looked ok from a drive by, as did the three river inn in biggs.

Last edited by nothere; Apr 4, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 02:07 PM

I had a blast, couple intercooler pipe issues but event went fairly well. only an elise hit the wall. the only wall. couple offs but nothing bad. Takes time to understand whats on the otherside of alot of cresting hills. the dirt road in kinda sucks, but the track makes up for everything. The april 16th event got pushed to may 29th. and then orpca has another in june. I plan on being at both. skipping reno to hit orp. The local food at the track was pretty good and cheap. Take gas cans and fill up in biggs!

Got an HD video uploaded.
http://vimeo.com/4288212
and on youtube but vimeo seems better, imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-b2ghT9qw

Wrote up a couple things here
http://nwtrackdays.com/forum/viewfor...6fdbc531fa8132

Funny story about the viper. Was sitting behind him in the pre grid, went up and complemented the car and massive tires in the back (345) and said last time i was on track with a blue viper the guy down shifted instead of upshifting and hit the wall at PIR. Hes like, yeah that was me. oh **** are you serious. proceed to tell me what happened. told him that i got kicked out for that, they thought i was holding you back. he was like what it was completely my fault. we talked more **** about that day. just pretty funny it was him, cool guy.

Last edited by SR20S13; Apr 26, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

That elise was at the autox I went to a few weeks ago. Car seemed REALLY fast.

Track looks dope!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

went back last weekend with the Star group again. perfect day, cool in the morning very light wind.

the track now has the curbs and I think I understood they will be putting in a tire barrier- not that it will do anything.
They have 92 gas, and the road out to the track is beautiful, not asphalt but its the best looking oiled road I have ever seen.

Drove in both directions, full course. Love the track and an evo is a pretty good car for it. Mostly third gear and a little fourth on the straights.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:56 PM

get any times?
was only able to do CCW once. really want to do CCW again. Palatov is doing CW on sunday sept 27th and CCW on monday the 28th. Wish i could make money appear when needed.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Here are some video's as taken by a friend from the MazdasNW forum.

http://www.vholdr.com/video/blake

http://www.vholdr.com/node/38578
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

I need to start doing some AutoX.

*sigh* But classes are starting..... damnit. (T_T)

Quick Reply: ORP review