Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Ticketed for modified exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticketed for modified exhaust

Okay as the title states, about 2-weeks ago I was pulled over and ticketed for a modified exhaust.

I am in Colorado and for as long as I can remember have never been pulled over for a modified exhaust. I have had the Invidia on my EVO9 for 3-years with no issues. Definitely not too loud (but louder than stock) and stock appearing (same size tip as stock). Now out of nowhere I get pulled over and ticketed. I realize the officer is just trying to make quota for the month.

My question, is there noise testing stations in Colorado or cheap db meters to test my exhaust noise levels. Every meter I found on the Internet is about $100 or more and my ticket is a non-moving violation with a $40 fine. I figure how will the courts prove I have a modified exhaust system if my car is not excessively loud, but I still have to prove it.

Yeah, I know pay for it and get it over with, but I also know this won't be the last. So, what ya'll think.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:49 PM

i picked up a decibel reader from radioshack for like 20 bucks but my car is sometimes louder and sometimes not =/ ranges anywhere from 85 decibel to 100+
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:50 PM

That suck but it happens had it happen to me in when I had a civic. When i went in to pay they were pretty cool about it and only asked if I had fixed it, i said yea and they reduced the fine 1/2.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got pulled over few times for exhaust...i think the CO state law is, any modification or change of muffler/exhaust is subject to a Ticket/fine. That's what the cop told me, you also have to see what kind of mood the cop is in, if he is in the bad mood, he can pull u over just cause he can. I passed by a cop that pulled me over be4 tonight and he didn't bother to follow me.

Last edited by Kdash106; Apr 12, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:06 PM

acct918, I'll try radioshack tomorrow. Kdash106, that's what the officer told me as well and after looking up colorado enforcement codes (very general), I think the only way to win this is to prove the muffler does not exceed the allowed 80db for Colorado.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

my exhaust is pretty quite too, i stay under 3k rpm at night but still get pulled over. But u see Trucks that go around that's louder then our car and they don't get pulled over.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kdash106
my exhaust is pretty quite too, i stay under 3k rpm at night but still get pulled over. But u see Trucks that go around that's louder then our car and they don't get pulled over.
Yeah I never got that, I see/hear Dodge RAMs and Chevy Silverados driving by that are louder than our cars with after market exhaust not getting pulled over.

@TS: Did the cop say that it sounded too lound or did he say it's an illegal after market exhaust?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

If you know someone with an iPhone there is an application you can buy for $3 on the iphone that measures the DB accurately. I have it on my phone but you're a bit far
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Kdash is right...

It depends on the city ordinances for tickets, but you're kind of at the mercy. There are options however. Just having it appear to be modified he will need proof. If you fight the ticket (and they never expect you to fight for just $40) and prove that you still have a stock exhaust that is unmodified, you can win... unless he has proof that it was otherwise (like a description or statement from you stating it was modified).

As for noise, you cannot get a ticket for noise unless it was metered at the time you were pulled over. Cops do have metering devices (not all do), so if he metered you at the time of violation, he would have written it on the ticket. If he didnt, and he marked down the ticket for a noise ordinance you can fight it for lack of proof. Once again, its safe to have the stockers on your car.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

haha be glad you dont have a buschur tbe, theres no fighting my case
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spy007
Kdash is right...

It depends on the city ordinances for tickets, but you're kind of at the mercy. There are options however. Just having it appear to be modified he will need proof. If you fight the ticket (and they never expect you to fight for just $40) and prove that you still have a stock exhaust that is unmodified, you can win... unless he has proof that it was otherwise (like a description or statement from you stating it was modified).

As for noise, you cannot get a ticket for noise unless it was metered at the time you were pulled over. Cops do have metering devices (not all do), so if he metered you at the time of violation, he would have written it on the ticket. If he didnt, and he marked down the ticket for a noise ordinance you can fight it for lack of proof. Once again, its safe to have the stockers on your car.
not always true, my cousins a cop and just told me you can be ticketed(this is in wv btw) if they feel its in excess of 100 db, which even the stock at wot is louder than that....just my 2cents
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

contest it...it is your right for the police officer/court to show you on paper where the state law states what you did is a violation. If shown pay and leave it...if not fight and follow by sueing the state and police.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

WA State Law says they can ticket you for the exhaust being "not of original design or specification". So technically, they can ticket you for bending it differently.

Scott
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

go to a local stereo shop they usually have one you can use and get a read out, im always scared of cops pulling me over for exhaust(and my soon to be installed epm dump)
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mullen
haha be glad you dont have a buschur tbe, theres no fighting my case
thats what i had on my rs, damn it was loud....never had any trouble from cops in the area though

Quick Reply: Ticketed for modified exhaust