Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Test drove a 2010 RR Evo X GSR at Alan Webb today and...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove a 2010 RR Evo X GSR at Alan Webb today and...

This car was amazing!! It was my first Evo X I test drove and I fell in love. Only problem this thing is bare bone stock, I want atleast the bigger wing in the back. So today I'm heading to Beaverton to Herzog mitsu and check out the two GSRs they have. I decided on the GSR because after my warranty I'm planning on doing some heavy mods to around 450awhp, the MR would just be too much of a hassle correct?

I love everything about the MR and would definitely buy one IF it didn't have that SST. I need a car that's more mod friendly, which is why I'm also curious about the new 2011 SE model. Can anyone explain how that differs from the GSR? Is the GSR still the friendliest for modding? Also is the MR the only model that has HIDS?

Thanks for the help.. I just got back from Iraq and I'm really needing a car here shortly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mark
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SE comes with SST, not 5 speed.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

By the time your warranty is up (probably around 5 years) if you really are going to wait till then to mod... There will be plenty of options for making the MR SST handle 450whp. There already are a fairly decent number of options for the technology only being out two years.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:27 AM

Alright thanks for the quick reply.. so GSR it is then. I'm now contemplating whether I want the Sight, Sound, Spoiler pkg. I love the pkg, just I could go without the sound system.

How low do you guys think I can get this 2010 OB Evo X GSR for? It's MSRP and list price is $36,550. You think I can talk him down to $30,000? And is that a good price?

Here it is: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=...

And here it is on their website (all the features listed.. it has the pkg):
http://www.herzogmeier.com/index.cfm...1-c7570d32b7ec

Thanks again!
I'm thinking they are probably wanting to get rid of the 2010 models soon since the 2011s are on the way. So I'm tempted to low ball $29k as my first offer?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

I would get the SSS package personally if I was going for an X
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by foam
I would get the SSS package personally if I was going for an X
SSL has the HIDs, and you might be able to get him to 30, worth a shot lol
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
30 maybe a stretch... south coast has the X w/ SSS for 32K.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Magnus82
30 maybe a stretch... south coast has the X w/ SSS for 32K.
Thanks I'll take a look there... I offered max $32,500 today and they weren't willing to go that low. So I'm just going to be patient on my searching

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2010, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

IMO, buy a used one. You should be able to find one with low miles/low abuse and get it for much cheaper.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:46 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I say go test drive a SST before you make that decision, I was dead set on a GSR until I test drove the SST. Just an amazing transmission. You can easily make 450whp RIGHT NOW. English was one of the first tuners to break the 400 mark. Even when you go for 450whp in a GSR, you still need to upgrade the clutch, center diff, master cylinder, short shifter, etc. (Short shifter is optional, but a lot of GSR drivers have complained about how notchy the shifting gets and move to the SS to make it feel better).

In the end, it just comes out to a few hundred more to beef up the SST over the 5-speed, so make sure it's what you want. You should also be able to get a car for more than 2k less than list price. If not call Paul at Auburn Mitsubishi.

But please drive that SST before you make your final decision.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yahu
IMO, buy a used one. You should be able to find one with low miles/low abuse and get it for much cheaper.
Agreed. That's how I found the STi. Over 10k off the new price, only 7k miles. It was still like new inside and out. I'd keep looking around.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

I say if its under 15k, it's ok to buy used. I've been burned and I won't be burned again buying a used performance car. You have no idea what the previous owner did to it. Least with a new car you know exactly what it is, and what it's been through.

If it wasn't a performance car, I'd say 100% buy used. Ask Webman what it's like to buy a used X with under 5k miles. He went 6-7 months without a car as the dealerships tried to figure out what was wrong. The replaced his tranny, ecu, maf, vacuum lines, downpipe, and turbo... finally found out the previous owner did something to the turbo or removed the boost pill.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
I say if its under 15k, it's ok to buy used. I've been burned and I won't be burned again buying a used performance car. You have no idea what the previous owner did to it. Least with a new car you know exactly what it is, and what it's been through.

If it wasn't a performance car, I'd say 100% buy used. Ask Webman what it's like to buy a used X with under 5k miles. He went 6-7 months without a car as the dealerships tried to figure out what was wrong. The replaced his tranny, ecu, maf, vacuum lines, downpipe, and turbo... finally found out the previous owner did something to the turbo or removed the boost pill.

I agree 100% with what you said. That's my exact reasoning for going with the X. I wanted a IX MR in the worst way, but the few I've driven are soo abused, I figured it's not even worth it. I might as well do it right and be the 1st owner and know exactly what happens along every mile.

I'm definitely being patient on my purchase, still shopping around. Auburn is an idea. I will take your advice and test drive an MR before I make my decision. I do love the MR, only problem is I have that obsession with shifting manually via stick. Paddles really take away the feel of performance behind the car IMO.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 05:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Keep in mind it's not like an automatic. You feel the shift. I drive mine in manual mode 99% of the time (in sport mode). This is an aggressive shift, so you will feel it. It's sweet going into S corners and having the ability to shift so quickly. I love it.

One thing to keep in mind, because the MR can shift so quickly, you can actually hold boost between shifts. Bryan from GST has a dyno run showing his car holding 25psi all the way through 6th. How cool is that.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mako3
I agree 100% with what you said. That's my exact reasoning for going with the X. I wanted a IX MR in the worst way, but the few I've driven are soo abused, I figured it's not even worth it. I might as well do it right and be the 1st owner and know exactly what happens along every mile.

I'm definitely being patient on my purchase, still shopping around. Auburn is an idea. I will take your advice and test drive an MR before I make my decision. I do love the MR, only problem is I have that obsession with shifting manually via stick. Paddles really take away the feel of performance behind the car IMO.

Thanks again!

if you know anything about cars TELL THE OWNER OF THE USED EVO X U WANNA HAVE THE CAR CHECKED OUT AND DO A COMPRESSION CHECK AND CHECK EVERYTHING FOR GOOD MECHANICAL OPERATION!!!! IF IT CHECKS OUT GOOD YO UHAVE JUST SAVED 10,000.00 DOLLARS

COME ON R U SERIOUSLY GONNA GET RAPED ON A NEW CAR I HOPE U DONT WANT TO LOSE TONS OF MONEY THE SECOND YOU DRIVE OFF THE LOT.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2010 RR Evo X GSR at Alan Webb today and...