Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Got pulled over - no front plate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got pulled over - no front plate

So as I was driving to school today I was just cruising along minding my own business when a Bothell police officer driving the other direction drives past me and flips a b**** turns on his lights and pulls me over.

First thing he says is "Hey, where is your front plate?". I replied "There isn't any place to put it." After I gave him my license, registration, and insurance card he pointed out that my card had expired and asked if I had a more up to date one with me which I did not. He then pointed out that on my registration it specifically says "front plate still required." After seeing that I have a clean record and no tickets he let me off with just a verbal warning (no ticket).

This was interesting to me because I have had the car for 1.5 years and have never had a front plate and this is the first time I have been pulled over. Also, I just installed my 3 inch exhaust 2 days ago (DP, Hi-flow cat, cat-back) so I believe the exhaust is what made him notice me as it is pretty deep/loud. (He didn't say anything about the exhaust thankfully)

I knew I would get pulled over some day and I had my little speech rehearsed but when the moment came I abandoned my plan. There is an RCW (46.16.240) that specifically states "In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol". My plane had always been to explain to the officer that since there is no specific place from the factory to put the plate, I am not required to have one. I did not even mention this RCW to the officer, I guess I panicked.

Anyways, he told me to put my front plate on and that is exactly what I am going to do. I don't have a front plate holder so I'll be posting for one in the marketplace but since I'm writing here I'll just ask, does anyone know where to buy one? I feel like I got lucky and I don't want to continue running the risk of no front plate.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

It's hit or miss with the front plate. Kinda depends on what kind of mood the cop was in. At least he let you off though. I have owned my Evo for 6 years, never had a front plate on.

Look into the Beatrush front plate holder or another alternative as opposed to the OEM piece.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep running the risk. i'm not sure about WA law but in NY its just a fix-it ticket. that means you take a pic with a license plate on and send it to the court with the ticket and its dismissed.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:23 PM

To be honest rather then messin up ur front bumper throw it in the window lol
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Well, my front bumper already has the hole in it for the holder. Whoever had the car before me must have had the front plate on so its not like I'd be drilling new holes in the bumper.

And I'd like to keep running the risk but I don't think its worth getting pulled over again (even though if I don't put my plate up there I may not get pulled over again for another 2 years). I'm just gonna get a holder for it and roll around with it up there for a while. Maybe in a couple months I'll take it off and have no front plate again.. we'll see.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

I got a warning for not having one and just ignored it. Haven't been bothered since then.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

If you quote that RCW, you will most likely be given a ticket for no front plate for copping an attitude. It says MAY be granted, not that you aren't required to have one.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

unless ur registration is changed, which you can have that done. Take it to your local state patrol office they will inspect it and without holesin the bumper they will change to no front plate needed. its a long process but worth it if you dont wanna screw up the bumper or mess with the OEM holder thats 80$
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:42 PM

You cite the law to a magistrate or judge, not the LEO.

Wait until it costs you money to drill the F out of your bumper, I say. That's my plan.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i always get pulled over for it, i just ignore it. I tried the "putting it in the window" and it does no good. has to be visible and not at an angle aparently haha.

Anyways I know next time ill get a ticket for it, but I just dont care
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^ To both of the last posters.....read the thread. He already has the holes there.

EDIT: Not you K20
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

the hole for the holder is in the bottom on the front bumper
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cop an attitude= cop with one. Don't know about WA but in OR plate on the dash doesn't count. Got caught in a civic a while back, and don't give me to much grief it was supercharged, and was informed it doesn't matter if there is no location at the time. Every manufacture has a kit and if you live where it's required then you're forced to deal with it. Although, how many guys have you seen driving in corvettes with no front plate? Descrimination? Your call.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
If you quote that RCW, you will most likely be given a ticket for no front plate for copping an attitude. It says MAY be granted, not that you aren't required to have one.
Yea thats partly why I didn't read it to him. I was trying to get on his good side and I knew telling him what the law was would not help my case.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03Evo8DTC
its a long process but worth it if you dont wanna screw up the bumper or mess with the OEM holder thats 80$
Wow. I had no idea the OEM holder was $80 bucks. I had never researched it before because I had no intention of putting my front plate on, but now that I am I'm not sure I'll be going with the OEM holder.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over - no front plate