Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Auto X 27th march SIGNUP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
Thanks for posting up the pictures guys!

I heard from a buddy who was racing there with you guys, this is what he said (unedited)

"By the way,

Saw a bunch of EVO guys out at Shelton this weekend for the Slush Series event #3. I heard Minh Nguyen posted on the local EVO forums. I think about 7 of them showed up. Most of them need to learn to drive better as I beat 5 of them with my stock Miata with my scratch time alone (not even taking in to account an Index). But they did have some nice looking cars! (I think almost all of them were grey or black). Though there was one red and one yellow."

Seriously guys? You lost to a stock Miata????
Not to state the obvious... But that's what we were there for. Besides, your friend got beat by a 1990 civic. Granted, everyone else did too, but the car has little to do with speed out there.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

^ Oh common guys, just show up, heckle all the rainbow (miata) drivers out there and put some good lap times!

Just giving you guys a hard time. Wish I could have come out with you all. Work rules everything around me, dollar dollar bills yall'.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMS60R
Congrats to Minh for winning class on Sunday, nice driving!

Awesome to see so many evo's out there, if your interested in doing some more autocross Bremerton "BSCC" will be hosting event #2 on 4/17 and a autocross practice on 4/15. If you go to the practice day, bring a full tank of gas you will most likely get in 20 plus runs. Thanks for posting up the great pics Derek, my co-driver George already linked his to Volvospeed.
This sounds like a plan, Chris! T&T drags are April 16th and 17th at Pacific and I plan on going. If I go Saturday, Ill come out for the Sunday event.

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
Thanks for posting up the pictures guys!

I heard from a buddy who was racing there with you guys, this is what he said (unedited)

"By the way,

Saw a bunch of EVO guys out at Shelton this weekend for the Slush Series event #3. I heard Minh Nguyen posted on the local EVO forums. I think about 7 of them showed up. Most of them need to learn to drive better as I beat 5 of them with my stock Miata with my scratch time alone (not even taking in to account an Index). But they did have some nice looking cars! (I think almost all of them were grey or black). Though there was one red and one yellow."

Seriously guys? You lost to a stock Miata????
Such an instigator you are, Ryan. Andrew couldn't have said it better...

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Not to state the obvious... But that's what we were there for. Besides, your friend got beat by a 1990 civic. Granted, everyone else did too, but the car has little to do with speed out there.
And yes, that lil EF hauled ***!

Ryan, is your buddy a black guy who drives a white Miata? If so, that thing isn't stock. Bolt ons, drop/suspension mods, and good wheels and tires are far from stock. Just thought I'd point that out if Im thinking of the same guy. The Miata hauled, but as mentioned by Andrew, most of us were out there for fun. Nothing against you but before he decides to try to compare girth length or pissing distance, maybe someone should point that out to him. This was my first event ever and I was happy to get a 55.xxx in. It sure was funny as hell seeing Damien slide around the whole course ending up with a 51.xxx which is damn impressive for how much traction issues he was having.

Looking forward to the next event and getting more seat time in.

Last edited by D Grade; Mar 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, lets not bring race into this!

jk.

No, the brother in the white miata is pretty cool, and aside from the gum-snapping and openly blind communities nobody would confuse his car for stock.

My friend's last name is Rollo and was in a bone stock red miata. He has a serious weight handicap from eating too much red meat.

At a Boeing event last year James and I swapped cars (his MS3 for my evo) and he is a good driver. Even though I handed him a car with boiled brake fluid (yes he was warned) he was only 4 seconds slower than I....... 2 of those seconds were sure to have been his massive runoff on the long straight when the brakes werent there for him

I could only get within 2 seconds of his time with his car.

Moral of the story: there isnt one
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Right on, well kudos to your chubby friend.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:35 PM

Autocross is a crazy world. If someone would of told me 4 years ago that n/a mini coopers could outrun Z06's I would of laughed my *** off, but guess what, I have seem it happen. Everything is weather and course dependent. Even so I would never drive a mini or a miata.

All and all I thought you guys did pretty well considering most of you have some insane horse power that your trying to put down in pouring rain. Damien's car was nutz my ears are still recovering. I know my evo was much easier to control at 315 whp than its typical 355 whp, I'm actually glad I ran in STU trim.

I hope we see some more evo's out this year, its definitely the car for STU and BSP. With that being said, I need to hit up the quarter mile this summer as well.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Where can I get an easy to read class rules for modifications? Like, how can I tell what class my car would be in? I know the modifications I have so far put me in a class I have no way of really being competitive in, but I'd still like to know.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Same here.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Where can I get an easy to read class rules for modifications? Like, how can I tell what class my car would be in? I know the modifications I have so far put me in a class I have no way of really being competitive in, but I'd still like to know.
Here is the link to SCCA read the solo rules as it is autocross. Most of the local club run their rules the same as or very close to the SCCA rules book
http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61

Now speaking for Bremerton "BSCC" I can say you would qualify for a season of novice, if you have done less than 3 autocross events in the last few years. The only major rules as a novice are, you have to run street tires, so no Kumho's or Hoosier's, i.e. tread wear 140 or greater. Great street tires are the dunlop star specs, kumho ecsta x.s., falken has a new RT 615 out. The other rule as a novice is NO PASSENGERS except instructors, also a cool thing is novices run in a.m. and p.m. sessions each event., you can sleep in, and still get your autox. Finally mods do not count against you in novice class, so Damiens car would run with no index in novice, just raw time against raw time so to speak.

So essentially you can run a season of Novice, and not have to change anything on your car, if you wanted to be competitive in class I would suggest buying a set of autox street and swapping them on before an event. Currently the best bang for the buck is the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs Z1. If you plan on running a few events with other clubs, read the rule book closely. For example SCCA STU is limited to a 245 tread width tire, so you would not want to buy a wider tire than that if you plan to run any STU autocross this summer.

Judging by the cars that came to the last event. Most likely you guys would fall in BSP class B street prepared, which is a much more liberal class than STU, i.e. you can run over stock boost, upgrade intercoolers, charge pipes, speed density, twin disc clutches, ignition upgrades.

I hope that answer some questions, also if you feel you want more of a challenge than a novice class can provide, you can run the street tire class at bremerton with your proper index, most likely BSP. We also have touring sedan class where you can run slicks.

Chris
Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 739 Likes on 571 Posts
The place for Evo's and Corvettes is Packwood. If you guys new to the game want to run faster courses thats the place to be. Its the largest lot in the NW and a place you dont have to get embarrassed about losing to miata's and mini's...If you can drive .

Just remember, you will always get beat by someone that will make no sense, until you find out who the driver is.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMS60R
Here is the link to SCCA read the solo rules as it is autocross. Most of the local club run their rules the same as or very close to the SCCA rules book
http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61

Now speaking for Bremerton "BSCC" I can say you would qualify for a season of novice, if you have done less than 3 autocross events in the last few years. The only major rules as a novice are, you have to run street tires, so no Kumho's or Hoosier's, i.e. tread wear 140 or greater. Great street tires are the dunlop star specs, kumho ecsta x.s., falken has a new RT 615 out. The other rule as a novice is NO PASSENGERS except instructors, also a cool thing is novices run in a.m. and p.m. sessions each event., you can sleep in, and still get your autox. Finally mods do not count against you in novice class, so Damiens car would run with no index in novice, just raw time against raw time so to speak.

So essentially you can run a season of Novice, and not have to change anything on your car, if you wanted to be competitive in class I would suggest buying a set of autox street and swapping them on before an event. Currently the best bang for the buck is the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs Z1. If you plan on running a few events with other clubs, read the rule book closely. For example SCCA STU is limited to a 245 tread width tire, so you would not want to buy a wider tire than that if you plan to run any STU autocross this summer.

Judging by the cars that came to the last event. Most likely you guys would fall in BSP class B street prepared, which is a much more liberal class than STU, i.e. you can run over stock boost, upgrade intercoolers, charge pipes, speed density, twin disc clutches, ignition upgrades.

I hope that answer some questions, also if you feel you want more of a challenge than a novice class can provide, you can run the street tire class at bremerton with your proper index, most likely BSP. We also have touring sedan class where you can run slicks.

Chris
Thanks Chris! Homework and studying to read up on. So since Im not competitive (at least yet), and out for the fun of it, BSP is the class for me? Also, is there any noise restrictions in the class? I plan on running an O2 dump in the future.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
The place for Evo's and Corvettes is Packwood. If you guys new to the game want to run faster courses thats the place to be. Its the largest lot in the NW and a place you dont have to get embarrassed about losing to miata's and mini's...If you can drive .

Just remember, you will always get beat by someone that will make no sense, until you find out who the driver is.
Sounds like fun to me, and thats what Im in for. As far as getting beat by Miata's and Mini's, I could care less. As I stated before, Im not out there to compete in a pissing match, Im out there for the fun of it.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

BSP might be a good class for some of you guys to run in based on your current and planned mods, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend you run in that class this year. Maximizing seat time should be your guys main priority for now so with that in mind, you should stick with Novice class or Time Only. This gives you the opportunity to run in the AM or PM sessions or both. Running in an actual indexed class would limit you to just the PM sessions at certain events depending on the schedule. So run in as many events as you can this year while studying the rules to see where you and your car would fit best next year.

There are noise limits at most events. The WWSCC rule book (the pink covered one that you guys paid for and should have received at the last event) lists a 102 dB(A) limit. I know SCCA actually sets up a sound meter to check but I'm not sure about the other clubs. Here's a link to the local NWR SCCA rules supplement for sound limits.

http://www.nwr-scca.org/solo/SuppsSound.htm
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:48 PM
EvoM Guru

The sound limits are getting enforced much more now but you gotta have a pretty loud car to break those limits. IIRC its measured at 50ft while under load and cant exceed 98db. I might be off a bit on the details but standard street cars usually don't have a problem.

In two weeks NW-SCCA has a pro-solo at packwood on Saturday, it would be cool to see a bunch more evo's there. Ill be heading back to portland skipping the sunday event with NWR to get to the OR PCA event at PIR.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
The sound limits are getting enforced much more now but you gotta have a pretty loud car to break those limits. IIRC its measured at 50ft while under load and cant exceed 98db. I might be off a bit on the details but standard street cars usually don't have a problem.

In two weeks NW-SCCA has a pro-solo at packwood on Saturday, it would be cool to see a bunch more evo's there. Ill be heading back to portland skipping the sunday event with NWR to get to the OR PCA event at PIR.
I'm interested. Details?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Do you know how a pro-solo works? Its two courses mirrored and you run lined up with another car. Pretty wild, and usually AWD has a huge benefit with the AWD launch cause generally theirs a drag style start.

Think about cars only able to pull a 2+ sec 60ft where we can easily run 1.6-1.7. Almost an automatic 0.5 sec lead from the start. You just gotta kick *** everywhere else