Notices

Best MPG in Stock configuration - Outlander Sport SE 4WD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Best MPG in Stock configuration - Outlander Sport SE 4WD

Just curious to see what real world MPGs can be achieved from bone stock configs -

Regular 87 octane gas (from QuickTrip gas stations, DFW area)
Full tank = 15.8 gallons

Stock Air filter (paper)
Stock Motor oil (0W-20)
Stock Spark plugs ( )
Stock CVT fluids (Dia Queen CVTF-J1)
Tire pressure @ ~32 psi (in the mornings.)
NO MODs, NO deletes.

Wife currently travels ~19 miles to the office (one way). 95% FWD, expressway driving with a 5 mile construction zone in the middle during Morning rush hour. In evenings, she sometimes takes another route. And, she has the lead foot in the family ... @70-80ish MPH

She's been able to get 30.1 MPG as shown on the OSD.
I'm a tad less aggressive @ 65-70MPH when I drive the O.sport and has been able to achieve 31.6 MPG.

I'd say we get on the gas Only during tollway onramps which equates to about 4 total during the commute.
We have utilized the 4WD Auto mode just recently and only saw our MPG drop to 27.6 .. with about 1.7K on ODO

RELATED Threads:
1. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...-less-mpg.html
2. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...l-economy.html

(Full disclosure, we've already taken a ~650 mile road trip (total, to & from) to see family earlier this month.)

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jan 14, 2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:00 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm VERY fuel conscience because I used to drive like a douche and I realized that it actually costs a LOT of money to drive like that...

Things I've noticed about the O-Sport:
-MPG's drove DRASTICALLY at speeds above 55MPH. To the point where it seems the CVT is almost specifically optimized for that RPM range/speed. I have seen actual, calculated MPG's of 34.7 MPG by slowing down a bit.
-K&N (and most likely any other major brand) drop-in filter makes a MASSIVE improvement in eco.
-4WD Auto drops economy a fair amount, 4WD LOCK drops economy like a rock.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Just a quick update:

32.3 MPG (as of Feb. 2013)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that is really great mileage closest I've seen to the ratings.

I've only been able to do 8.4L/100km (28MPG) avg. over 900+km with 4 Adults, AC on, plus luggage. I thought it wasn't too bad for a small suv.

My wife normally does mostly city driving and normally it's around 10L/100km (23.5 MPG) with her driving.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just like to add to this. I avg around 30MPG in my 11 OS w/ K&N drop in. I did drive it from South shore Ma to Tampa FL. during the drive with the wife and I and a 20LBs dog and a trunk full of luggage we got an avg of 24MPG. Problem was my speeds ranged from 65-90mph and there was a HUGE decrease the faster I went which was expected. What was not expected was in Tampa area with an empty car we never saw higher than 25-26MPG. which I was thinking I would be around 30-31 a little more since every road speed limit is around 45-60 and the highway is 70. For some reason 35-45MPH is where the car likes to be any more or less you lose big time with gas mileage and of course now back in Ma my car is back up in the upper 20s low 30MPG area.

To add I have a 4wd SE with Rockford and pano roof (not sure the how much of a difference in weight that makes it) and the humidity in FL is bad compared to Ma.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:53 PM

Im jealous...I have about 600+ miles on my car and the highest mpg I see in my car is just 24 mpg with a drive of 35 miles on the highway. I dont drive hard, I cant even hear the engine whine when i step on the gas. Thats how slow I drive my car. with the city and highway mix..its around 17-20 mpg. There must be something wrong with this car.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AWD Lock on freeway doing 65-70mph 2 adults 1 child n outlandish was loaded up for a zoo trip, we got 30.7mpg with a bit if city driving factored in.
37psi in the tires, 87 octave, and stock everything except a Greddy Cold air intake.
mpg were climbing too when i was exiting the freeway.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
I'm VERY fuel conscience because I used to drive like a douche and I realized that it actually costs a LOT of money to drive like that...

Things I've noticed about the O-Sport:
-MPG's drove DRASTICALLY at speeds above 55MPH. To the point where it seems the CVT is almost specifically optimized for that RPM range/speed. I have seen actual, calculated MPG's of 34.7 MPG by slowing down a bit.
-K&N (and most likely any other major brand) drop-in filter makes a MASSIVE improvement in eco.
-4WD Auto drops economy a fair amount, 4WD LOCK drops economy like a rock.
Now that is what I would like to achieve! But, to go 55MPH consistantly here on Dallas tollways would get you more than just some evil stares...

Originally Posted by tdott
Wow that is really great mileage closest I've seen to the ratings.

I've only been able to do 8.4L/100km (28MPG) avg. over 900+km with 4 Adults, AC on, plus luggage. I thought it wasn't too bad for a small suv.

My wife normally does mostly city driving and normally it's around 10L/100km (23.5 MPG) with her driving.
You're right.. considering the ride height and overall weight of this CUV, getting 28MPG while fully loaded is not that bad at all.

NOTE: We are getting our high MPGs ONLY when we are driving by ourselves.

Originally Posted by EMonz57
Just like to add to this. I avg around 30MPG in my 11 OS w/ K&N drop in. I did drive it from South shore Ma to Tampa FL. during the drive with the wife and I and a 20LBs dog and a trunk full of luggage we got an avg of 24MPG. Problem was my speeds ranged from 65-90mph and there was a HUGE decrease the faster I went which was expected. What was not expected was in Tampa area with an empty car we never saw higher than 25-26MPG. which I was thinking I would be around 30-31 a little more since every road speed limit is around 45-60 and the highway is 70. For some reason 35-45MPH is where the car likes to be any more or less you lose big time with gas mileage and of course now back in Ma my car is back up in the upper 20s low 30MPG area.

[B]To add I have a 4wd SE with Rockford and pano roof (not sure the how much of a difference in weight that makes it) and the humidity in FL is bad compared to Ma.[\B]
Could be the quality of gas that's giving your such a drastic difference, perhaps..?

We have the same 4WD, RF audio, and Pano setup as you, so being able to hit 30+MPG sometimes is Better than never..

And, in my opinion the ability to turn ON or OFF AWD - at will - is the best feature of this vehicle.

Originally Posted by macdarwin
Im jealous...I have about 600+ miles on my car and the highest mpg I see in my car is just 24 mpg with a drive of 35 miles on the highway. I dont drive hard, I cant even hear the engine whine when i step on the gas. Thats how slow I drive my car. with the city and highway mix..its around 17-20 mpg. There must be something wrong with this car.
I think we noticed low MPG at first also..
I'd suggest you wait till the engine & CVT is well broken in > pass 1,200 miles mark before I would really start worrying about poor MPGs.
Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
AWD Lock on freeway doing 65-70mph 2 adults 1 child n outlandish was loaded up for a zoo trip, we got 30.7mpg with a bit if city driving factored in.
37psi in the tires, 87 octave, and stock everything except a Greddy Cold air intake.
mpg were climbing too when i was exiting the freeway.
I'll have to add some more tire pressure and see how that improve our MPGs in stock mode
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
EvoM Moderator

I have an unfair advantage, I work midnight shift so I am the only one on the expressway and can easily get away with going 55MPH w/o interfering w/ traffic.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a short video showing us hitting that 32.3 MPG (in FWD mode)
(sorry for the camera shakes)

Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:52 AM

You just love teasing us with your mpg's youre getting. I think ill need to learn how love my 18mpg lol
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by macdarwin
You just love teasing us with your mpg's youre getting. I think ill need to learn how love my 18mpg lol
On the contrary, actually.. I'm proving/confirming that 31 (or better) MPG Can be witnessed from stock settings/configs > To have a solid baseline of what's attainable from the factory - without any engine or tuning MODs.

From there... I want to see what the 'true' benefits (beyond stock) this mini SUV can achieve.

Once I start to do engine MODs and other tweaks, I will be able to prove if those modifications really do add to the efficiency (or detract from it) and not just some placebo effect/mind trick.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Feb 21, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:12 AM
EvoM Moderator

Does anyone else get sick to their stomach when they think about the fact that in the UK Mitsubishi puts a turbo diesel in the ASX and it gets 44 city/61 Highway for a ridiculous 54 MPG mixed.

I mean seriously, that's DOUBLE what we're getting here in the US. The ****ing EPA and all of their emissions bull**** makes bringing a diesel into the US harder and harder but I'm pretty sure that our thirsty gassers are polluting a lot more than a small, fuel sipping diesel getting double the mileage.
Attached Thumbnails Best MPG in Stock configuration - Outlander Sport SE 4WD-asx-specifications-1.8-dohc-4work-4wd-manual-diesel-mitsubishi-asx-mitsubishi-motors-uk.jpg  
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:20 AM
EvoM Moderator

Actually, lets see.

The 2013 Outlander Sport 4WD 2.0L emits 343 grams of CO2 per mile. CITATION

The 2013 ASX Diesel 4WD emits 138 grams of CO2 per Kilometer. (According to the site I posted above).

1 mile = 1.61 Kilometers, so 138 x 1.61 = 222.18 grams of CO2 per mile.

WHAT THE HELL! The ASX Diesel gets DOUBLE the gas mileage and emits one third LESS CO2 than our anemic little engines. Gotta love the thought process on this one.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well that's how diesels work. haha supposedly they are in the works of making a diesel EVO X or XI

Quick Reply: Best MPG in Stock configuration - Outlander Sport SE 4WD