Notices

Winter wheel/tire combos

Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter wheel/tire combos

If you could pick a good winter wheel/tire combo, what would it be? I'm not too interested in keeping the lowered look, but more concerned with traction and control. The fall is coming and I want to get a new set to swap out for winter. We get some good snow here in Kansas and last winter brough the "Blizzard of Oz." I had my Tacoma last year, so the winter wasn't an issue. But with the O, I really want to take advantage of the AWD and have some fun. Just not at the expense of the stock A/S tires.

I've been on tirerack.com researching combo sets, but can't decide on a larger tire on a smaller wheel, or keep the 18 diameter......
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My winter setup: For the CAR this past winter. I like a little more side wall for something "winter" or off road, so the 18's come off the car in Winter and the 17's go on. You may be able to save some coin too since 17's are easier to get than 18's and up unless you get some used wheels. You know what our Midwest weathers are like, Narrower is better with a ride this light and under powered.

Elbrus I05 wheels (not ice coated), 17x7.5, +45mm offset, 6.02" back spacing, (5x114 bolt pattern of course)
Wheels were on sale at Tirerack.com for $85 a piece, and come with lugnuts, lug adaptor, centering ring and center caps. NOTE: since these are just winter wheels I am not using TPMS sensors. By law now, NO shop will install wheels without them if your vehicle is using them as standard. You will have to put them on your self.

Tires, General Altimax Arctic (non-studded), 215/55R17 size.
4 star rating from tirerack.com I commute on interstate and hywy for work, so having a tire that has good road manners for the usually clean and dry after plowing is a must. This tire is rated high by commuters. Still great to get you through the side street crap left by incompitent road crews. $121 per tire at the rack.
Total for setup mounted, balanced and shipped. $950.39 from tirerack.com
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

disregard

Last edited by joey0480; Aug 12, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mine would be a stock set..... with all seasons if it snows a lot, I will be staying home....
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:37 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BTBean
If you could pick a good winter wheel/tire combo, what would it be? I'm not too interested in keeping the lowered look, but more concerned with traction and control. The fall is coming and I want to get a new set to swap out for winter. We get some good snow here in Kansas and last winter brough the "Blizzard of Oz." I had my Tacoma last year, so the winter wasn't an issue. But with the O, I really want to take advantage of the AWD and have some fun. Just not at the expense of the stock A/S tires.

I've been on tirerack.com researching combo sets, but can't decide on a larger tire on a smaller wheel, or keep the 18 diameter......
The '11 & '12 Outlander Sport ES base model came with 16" rims from the factory.

The specs are:

• 16x6.5"
  • 46mm Offset
  • 67.1mm Hub Bore
  • 5x114.3 Lug Pattern
  • 12X1.5 Lug
  • P215/70R16 OEM Tire Size

Those rim specs are the MOST common rim specs across the board. TONS of passenger cars and CUV's use those exact specs, so you should be able to find a set for dirt cheap. Just for some examples, I got a set of Hyundai Sonata rims in like-new condition, no rash at all, for $80. mRVRsport grabbed a set of rims from a junk yard (they might have been steelies, I don't recall) for I believe $10 each.

Also, 16" tires are a LOT cheaper than 17" or 18" tires.

So, in conclusion lol, a 16" setup will fit, keep your speedo correct, can be had for a low cost, and you can easily find some decent looking alloy rims off another make/model of car.

Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm not sure what tires they used in this video (I'm going to assume it's stock tires - whatever they have for Russia, that is) - it does show our 4WD quite capable running around on some fresh powder/snow at speeds >

I'm sure the skills of the driver comes into play (some) and the video showed the ASX drifting around some corners while avoiding the trees lining the trail.

Unfortunately, I don't understand what the guy is saying. Guess I'll have to ask my wife to translate the Russian for me.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Aug 13, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
I'm not sure what tires they used in this video (I'm going to assume it's stock tires - whatever they have for Russia, that is) - it does show our 4WD quite capable running around on some fresh powder/snow at speeds >

I'm sure the skills of the driver comes into play (some) and the video showed the ASX drifting around some corners while avoiding the trees lining the trail.

Mitsubishi ASX / TopGear Ð*оÑÑÐ¸Ñ - YouTube

Unfortunately, I don't understand what the guy is saying. Guess I'll have to ask my wife to translate the Russian for me.
I think I was able to make out - "Hey, I'm Yuri and I am loaded on good Russian Vodka! We are going to take this shiny Mitsubishi ASX out on our track to see if we can destroy it."

I think I heard some diasppointment in his voice at the end. They should have drove a Mazda instead.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
^
mmm... Да, я думаю, я согласен!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

^
I would have to agree with you, as well, Comorade!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:34 PM
mgb
Evolving Member

I'm thinking of using the studded snow tyres I have for my Montero, they're 235/75R15's so if I get a cheap set of steels it might just work albeit 4% faster on the speedo.

Just wonder about clearances as it will be an inch larger overall.

I ski a lot during the winter which is the only reason I have the set, we don't get harsh winters here in Portland...normally

Feedback appreciated!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

Will 15" rims clear the front brakes?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 06:20 PM
mgb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
Will 15" rims clear the front brakes?
No idea but I did notice that the 2011 ES came with 16'' as standard so was hoping a 15'' might work at a stretch. The alternative is I sell these and get some new ones and just have the tyres swapped from the wheels every season.

Would be nice to have a winter tyre and wheel set up though rather than having to swap tyres.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:41 PM

I had the factory 18's and the semi-crappy goodyears they came with on my car the last two winters. In several storms with 1ft+ snow on the roads I experience minimal issues. Only a few instances where I lost the rear end in a turn, which was easily corrected, or had to make a few attempts before getting over a snow drift. Never got stuck or high-centered once. I love the clearance of this car in the winter.

I read a long-term review of a ralliart once that said the 16" factory wheels + Blizzaks took the car from tolerable to dominant in the snow. I'd probably do that as a winter setup if I didn't want to use my 18's. I'd have to imagine the 18's give you more clearance, though.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:56 PM

I planning on purchasing a used set of 215 /65 R16 Michelin X-Ice2 and Steel Rims. They were for a Subaru Forester 2010, and the offset is 48mm which is 2mm higher. Would that cause an issue?

-----------

Nevermind, bolt pattern's don't match

Last edited by Jayli; Sep 13, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:32 PM
EvoM Moderator

Size would have been an issue as well. Your speedo would have been off. You want 215/70R16

Last edited by Burtonrider1002; Sep 14, 2013 at 05:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire combos