My Newest Purchase: Takeda Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the same one, mine just has a GREDDY sticker on it lol. nice write up
Old Sep 29, 2013, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I missed the deal, but I may buy anyways. Since I'm now spending money anyways.. In addition to this intake, what do you guys think about adding a larger air intake like the one from the RA intake duct?

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4549/intakera.jpg
Old Sep 29, 2013, 07:33 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by OSprt
Looks like I missed the deal, but I may buy anyways. Since I'm now spending money anyways.. In addition to this intake, what do you guys think about adding a larger air intake like the one from the RA intake duct?

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4549/intakera.jpg
A handful of members here have swapped out for the RalliArt snorkel. Gains will be minimal, but there is no doubt that you're improving airflow by eliminating a lot of restrictions.

Bear in mind, the RA snorkel will not fit on our model. You will have to trim it a small amount. I don't recall the exact amount, but I am quite sure it was only an inch or so.

Here's the post regarding TX Travistys install: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...l#post10717732

Last edited by Burtonrider1002; Sep 29, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:32 PM

Thanks, adding to my list. Also adding a dremmel to cut it up a bit
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:19 PM
EvoM Moderator

Nothing better than a reason to buy a new tool!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Anyone know the fair going rate for that RA snorkel? I may have to bite the bullet and pay the dealer for a new unit... (I had no luck procuring an used one.)
Old Nov 1, 2013, 03:36 PM
EvoM Moderator

IIRC my parts dept. quoted me $80 + tax
Old Nov 1, 2013, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

^
I see..
Ok, thank you.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 05:59 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
^
I see..
Ok, thank you.
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/parts...gramCallOut=11

Part #11, so yeah, that sounds about right.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:46 AM

Does doing an aftermarket intake place you in danger of voiding out the factory warranty? I mean the upgrade for better airflow seems simple enough but you know how companies are.

As far as going to an aftermarket intake is concerned. I would like to help smoothen the performance a little but mainly I would be after any improvement I could get with regards to fuel economy. Does the 2013 and 2014 use the same parts? Just trying to figure out which model year I might be on the market for since I have a 2014 and parts labeled as compatible with 2014 are a little hard to come by right now.

Last edited by N635DC; Nov 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 01:54 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by N635DC
Does doing an aftermarket intake place you in danger of voiding out the factory warranty? I mean the upgrade for better airflow seems simple enough but you know how companies are.

As far as going to an aftermarket intake is concerned. I would like to help smoothen the performance a little but mainly I would be after any improvement I could get with regards to fuel economy. Does the 2013 and 2014 use the same parts? Just trying to figure out which model year I might be on the market for since I have a 2014 and parts labeled as compatible with 2014 are a little hard to come by right now.
Absolutely not. Read up on the "Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act" (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)

From the Federal Trade Commission's website:
Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

And a great summary of the information contained in it: http://www.zabteck.com/MagnusonMossWarrantyAct.pdf

Regarding the 2014 compatibility, if you post up some good pictures of the engine bay, specifically the air intake area, we should be able to compare it to ours and give you an idea of whether or not it will fit.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
Absolutely not. Read up on the "Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act" (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)

From the Federal Trade Commission's website:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

And a great summary of the information contained in it: http://www.zabteck.com/MagnusonMossWarrantyAct.pdf

Regarding the 2014 compatibility, if you post up some good pictures of the engine bay, specifically the air intake area, we should be able to compare it to ours and give you an idea of whether or not it will fit.

Give me a day or two and I'll get some pictures out to you guys or the engine bay for comparison. While I am out there with a camera, are there any other areas of the car that anyone would like pictures of (or might be useful in the future)?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

^
Just take as much clear photos as you can.
Obviously Mitsu have changed some stuffs, that we may not even think of them changing. (for all we know they probably changed the silly rear bumper again to force you to buy 2014 specific mud flaps.... )
Old Nov 26, 2013, 05:33 AM

When changing over to an aftermarket intake or cold air intake is it imperative to have the engine remapped? From what I understand ECM remapping can cause warranty problems if they find out. Can you get the majority of the benefit of an aftermarket intake or aftermarket cold air intake without the risk of remapping?

Would I be best served one way or the other if I didn't plan to remap. I just want smoother throttle response and whatever MPG increase I can squeeze out of such an upgrade. If there is an HP boost then so be it but trying to turn my car in to a drag racer is not my primary objective.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 07:21 AM
EvoM Moderator

Good, because if it was then you bought the wrong car.

Regarding the engine remapping the car itself will adapt. Once you get it installed you should let the car idle for a while, which allows the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor to accurately analyze the new airflow, and the ECU/ECM (whatever it's called) will tweak the air/fuel ratios, timing, variable valve settings, or whatever it does normally.

Swapping the intake is no different than drastic changes in elevation. The MAF senses a change in air flow or density and responds according.
The following users liked this post:
NJ9MR (Apr 6, 2016)

Quick Reply: My Newest Purchase: Takeda Short Ram Intake