Notices

Outlander Sport (RVR/ASX) : Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my RVR back and my Toe was way off. Basically the front tires were pointing outwards.

They fixed everything free of charge, steering wheel is now centered and the overall steering seems more "stiffer" than before.

This is covered under warranty so I do recommend that people make sure that when they get this checked out that they don't pay anything.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rotterdam
Just got my RVR back and my Toe was way off. Basically the front tires were pointing outwards.

They fixed everything free of charge, steering wheel is now centered and the overall steering seems more "stiffer" than before.

This is covered under warranty so I do recommend that people make sure that when they get this checked out that they don't pay anything.

Did you get a printout..
How far off was it?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:00 AM

I didn't take a copy of the readout but I did go over it with the service technician. (I saw the actual copy so I know they weren't pulling a fast on on me

I was in a hurry to get out of there but they explained everything to me so I was happy that it was fixed.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rotterdam
I didn't take a copy of the readout but I did go over it with the service technician. (I saw the actual copy so I know they weren't pulling a fast on on me

I was in a hurry to get out of there but they explained everything to me so I was happy that it was fixed.

Well that's good.

- since we have EPS**, it's best to have your suspension properly aligned so that it doesn't force that electric motor to work overtime and wear out prematurely.

NOTES:
1. EPS motor/controller, LINK
2. EPS technology, LINK

**Electric Power Steering

Last edited by mRVRsport; Feb 12, 2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:34 AM

I'm not claiming this is the answer to all alignment problems, but one thing I've noticed on most newer vehicles is how sensitive the steering is to the road. I've noticed numerous times that my vehicle was pulling slightly one way or another, but then get to a different section of straight road and I could drive with no hands for a mile or more.
I truly think the slope of a road has a lot to do with how the car drives/pulls so take that into consideration when checking alignment when driving.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Redstang69
I'm not claiming this is the answer to all alignment problems, but one thing I've noticed on most newer vehicles is how sensitive the steering is to the road. I've noticed numerous times that my vehicle was pulling slightly one way or another, but then get to a different section of straight road and I could drive with no hands for a mile or more.
I truly think the slope of a road has a lot to do with how the car drives/pulls so take that into consideration when checking alignment when driving.
I fully concur with this observation. This is my first car with electronic power steering but I do not have a proof that this would be the reason for the observed extreme sensitivity. First, I also wanted to take the car to the dealership for wheel alignment. Any slight incline to the side may be perceived as if the car was leaning towards one side of the road. I suppose most roads have a lateral incline to deliver the rain to the sides.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redstang69

And, this is why we must be vigilant about our alignments.
IF you're experiencing such a change Due to road surface(s)... then that's fine. It's understandable that most roads may have a slight grade to them (to help rain run-offs).

However, if it's pulling or drifting to one side continuously and when the owner takes it into the dealer (or other shops) and are given the talltale of "the 'newer' vehicles have a manufactured 'off-angle in steering' built into the suspension so to counter-act the transmission/gearbox/whatnot-weight being off center", then there's a major issue.

Most drivers (ie: such as our wives, girlfriends, etc) who may not understand this, they are the ones we need to make certain the alignment is correct and perfect.
> This important issue becomes even More critical if/when they have to drive in (unpredictable) inclement weather. Like here in Texas.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Feb 17, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 01:24 PM

Had to have mine re-aligned at 11,000 miles. One dealership tried to say alignment was fine and wasn't covered. If I wanted to do it I would have to pay out of pocket (Glenview Mitsu in illinois) and had to have them call the regional warranty guy.

One of the tech's I drove with said it was fine, even though he had to keep turning to the left every once in a while. My toe was off too. I have the alignment sheet in my glovebox.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 06:29 AM

I bought a new (old stock) 2015 a few weeks ago. Going in for my second alignment check today. Three wheels were adjusted the first time. They claim to have test driven it and said it drove straight. It didn't the moment I hit the road. Not sure if the wheels are out again, or if it's the electric power steering not centering correctly. I guess I'll see what they say later today.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FuzzWadd
I bought a new (old stock) 2015 a few weeks ago. Going in for my second alignment check today. Three wheels were adjusted the first time. They claim to have test driven it and said it drove straight. It didn't the moment I hit the road. Not sure if the wheels are out again, or if it's the electric power steering not centering correctly. I guess I'll see what they say later today.
How many miles do you have on your vehicle? (what was it when you picked it up new??)

Keep an eye on the treads of the tire. Take photos if you have to, just to have a reference - of the wear pattern.

I (we) hit over 30,000 miles** on the original tires before we were forced to replaced them. So, if you have good alignment you should be able to get some decent life out of them.

** granted I waited til they were nearly bald!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh for the days of good rack and pinion steering...
Old Jul 12, 2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
How many miles do you have on your vehicle? (what was it when you picked it up new??)

Keep an eye on the treads of the tire. Take photos if you have to, just to have a reference - of the wear pattern.

I (we) hit over 30,000 miles** on the original tires before we were forced to replaced them. So, if you have good alignment you should be able to get some decent life out of them.

** granted I waited til they were nearly bald!

Had 34 miles on it new. I went on a road trip the day after I bought it. Came home with close to 700 miles on it. Had the first appointment. Then at around 900 miles a few days later I went in again. I've slowed down on putting miles on it now.

Yeah, I've been checking for odd tire wear more often now. Taking pics is a good idea, thx.

I may replace these Korean made "Nexen" tires with winter tires (Could these be the issue?), and buy a second set of rims/tires for summer use. Depends on if it would affect my warranty coverage.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Oh for the days of good rack and pinion steering...

This EPS is quite different. I seems I have to give my full concentration, or I drift into the other lane. It seems too stiff, too... Unless it's still the alignment giving me probs.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzWadd
Had 34 miles on it new. I went on a road trip the day after I bought it. Came home with close to 700 miles on it. Had the first appointment. Then at around 900 miles a few days later I went in again. I've slowed down on putting miles on it now.

Yeah, I've been checking for odd tire wear more often now. Taking pics is a good idea, thx.

I may replace these Korean made "Nexen" tires with winter tires (Could these be the issue?), and buy a second set of rims/tires for summer use. Depends on if it would affect my warranty coverage.
A lot of people badmouth the Nexen tires. I never had one but I can mention the following: they appear to have a better traction than the Good Year ones.
Here is the proof:
Motor week tested the 2011 Outlander sport equipped with Good Year tires and in winter time got 125 feet stopping distance from 60mph to 0.
The 2015 OS equipped with Nexen tires was tested by Edmunds and they got 119 feet stopping distance. 6 feet difference is quite significant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz2glDfsbqg go to 3:46
http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/ou...015/road-test/
For reference, I also provide the test result for the 2009 Ralliart (you would think it supposed to have better brakes as it has dual pistons): It needed 132 feet to stop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f298OfEcCjc go to 3:26
Make your own conclusion.
Why would your warranty be affected if you put different tires on? You should stay in the recommended size range (significantly different offset can influence the handling) and you should be OK. In my opinion having a dedicated winter set is highly recommended in Minnesota.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My alignment.

I bought my 15 new and it pulled bad left from day one. At 1900 miles I took off work to make my appointment for a check at the dealer. They drove it and said it was fine. I left the lot and drove straight to an alignment shop and paid 75$ to have it fixed. Attached is the alignment before they fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails Outlander Sport (RVR/ASX) : Wheel Alignment-20160805_123510.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
j3bnl (Aug 5, 2016)

Quick Reply: Outlander Sport (RVR/ASX) : Wheel Alignment