Notices

Strange noise coming from the rear of my 2011 Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strange noise coming from the rear of my 2011 Outlander Sport

I recently purchased a used 2011 Outlander Sport with 36,000 miles on it. I really like this vehicle a lot however I'm experiencing a very strange issue with it. After driving up a hill for about 1/2 mile or so I start hearing a strange squeaking/chirping noise coming from the rear of my vehicle. The noise only happens after I've been driving uphill for quite some time and hit a bump. I don't notice the noise unless I'm steering the car to the right either slightly or a lot. Once the car levels out for some time the noise goes away; I can hit all the bumps in the world and I don't hear the noise at all. I took this vehicle back to the dealer where I purchased it and they did a complete check over the vehicle and weren't able to reproduce the noise or see anything wrong with it. If anyone here has any thoughts on what could be causing this noise I'd really appreciate your input.

Here are 2 links to the noise it's making.

Last edited by jos76; Aug 27, 2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added links
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
More details Needed:
1. FWD or AWD?
2. Manual or CVT?
3. Any attachments? Hitch?
4. Any accidents?

Let us know.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 01:11 PM

1. It's AWD although I drive in 2WD mode all the time (I didn't think of switching it to 4WD will try this tomorrow and post back with results).
2. CVT
3. No attachments or hitch on the back.
4. According to the carfax it has never been in an accident.

Thanks for responding!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jos76
1. It's AWD although I drive in 2WD mode all the time (I didn't think of switching it to 4WD will try this tomorrow and post back with results).
2. CVT
3. No attachments or hitch on the back.
4. According to the carfax it has never been in an accident.

Thanks for responding!
Hey no problem.

Here's what I'm thinking after listening to your audio recordings again... I think you'll need CVT maintenance, specifically flush&refill its fluids.
Once you pass 30K it's highly recommended anyways. Make sure you get the CORRECT fluids - J4, reference LINK

The very detailed diagnosis was provided by Outie11, here LINK
(Read his entire summary.)

Let us know what you decide - either DIY or take it back to dealer.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:25 AM

I'll be calling the closest Mitsubishi dealer today to see how much a CVT oil change will be. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 05:04 AM

Drove to work this morning in 4WD LOCK and it still made the noise. What's strange to me is that it only happens when I go over bumps and when I'm steering to the right.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I recently purchased a used 2011 Outlander Sport with 36,000 miles on it. I really like this vehicle a lot however I'm experiencing a very strange issue with it. After driving up a hill for about 1/2 mile or so I start hearing a strange squeaking/chirping noise coming from the rear of my vehicle. The noise only happens after I've been driving uphill for quite some time and hit a bump. I don't notice the noise unless I'm steering the car to the right either slightly or a lot. Once the car levels out for some time the noise goes away; I can hit all the bumps in the world and I don't hear the noise at all. I took this vehicle back to the dealer where I purchased it and they did a complete check over the vehicle and weren't able to reproduce the noise or see anything wrong with it. If anyone here has any thoughts on what could be causing this noise I'd really appreciate your input.

Drove to work this morning in 4WD LOCK and it still made the noise. What's strange to me is that it only happens when I go over bumps and when I'm steering to the right.
okay...?

Loose bolt(s) then.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 06:56 AM

I know, my posts are confusing but so is the problem. Like I said after I've driven uphill for some time (I'm just guessing around 1/2 mile) I hear the noise when I go over bumps only while steering to the right. I don't hear the noise when I'm steering to the left or straight. Once I level out or drive downhill for some time I no longer hear this noise (this is where I meant I can go over all the bumps in the world and don't hear the noise). It comes and goes but the only common factor is that it happens after driving uphill for an extended period of time. I feel like if it was loose bolt(s) it would happen all the time or at the very least immediately when I go uphill. Sorry, I know it's confusing, I appreciate your replies.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 08:34 AM

check your axles
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by krypt0nate
check your axles
Care to elaborate? I took it back to the dealer where I bought it and they did thorough check on it.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:03 AM

So I spoke with a service technician at a Mitsubishi dealer and he said it is possible that the rear sway bar bushings could need greased. He said it seemed unlikely given my symptoms that changing the CVT oil would resolve anything. He said the labor to grease the bushings would run about $150 but wouldn't guarantee that would fix my issue. Does anybody here have any experience with rear sway bar bushings needing greased or know of a good DIY tutorial?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

So I spoke with a service technician at a Mitsubishi dealer and he said it is possible that the rear sway bar bushings could need greased. He said it seemed unlikely given my symptoms that changing the CVT oil would resolve anything. He said the labor to grease the bushings would run about $150 but wouldn't guarantee that would fix my issue. Does anybody here have any experience with rear sway bar bushings needing greased or know of a good DIY tutorial?
So, he's offering/willing to take $150 for a Grease job, but won't guarantee he look into fixing your original problem(s)? Interesting..

And this same "service technician" is turning your away from CVT fluid change? You might want to Read this, LINK

Care to elaborate? I took it back to the dealer where I bought it and they did thorough check on it.
Did they provide you with a print-out/report of what they checked? (Or, was it just "verbal say-so"?)

They should have provided you with a CVI**?
or,
an WAR?

**Computerized Vehicle Inspection

Last edited by mRVRsport; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:31 PM

Did they provide you with a print-out/report of what they checked? (Or, was it just "verbal say-so"?)

They should have provided you with a CVI**?
or,
an WAR?
It was verbal say-so.

So, he's offering/willing to take $150 for a Grease job, but won't guarantee he look into fixing your original problem(s)? Interesting..
He said they would road test it but he couldn't guarantee that they would be able to find and resolve the problem.

And this same "service technician" is turning your away from CVT fluid change? You might want to Read this, LINK
It seems that I definitely need to have this done I'm just reluctant to do this because of the cost and I'm not quite convinced it will solve my problem. The dealer quoted me about $225~$250 for a CVT oil change. The J-4 CVT fluid I found online came in 5 qt containers at about $100 with shipping. I would need 2 of these since my car takes 7.5 qts according to the owner's manual.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

It was verbal say-so.

He said they would road test it but he couldn't guarantee that they would be able to find and resolve the problem.

It seems that I definitely need to have this done I'm just reluctant to do this because of the cost and I'm not quite convinced it will solve my problem. The dealer quoted me about $225~$250 for a CVT oil change. The J-4 CVT fluid I found online came in 5 qt containers at about $100 with shipping. I would need 2 of these since my car takes 7.5 qts according to the owner's manual.
Interesting.. Master Mechanic or an apprentice?
With all the equipment and diagnostics gear they have on-hand, they still wouldn't be able to isolate the problem(s) and resolve the issue??

Granted with your descriptions, I doubt it be CVT related now also, however just keep the maintenance schedule in mind, don't wait til you have transmission problems. You can buy them cheaper another dealership I'm sure, they do sell them in single quarts too, just so you know.
You get ONE 5qt jug and 3 1qt bottles. IF you DIY, just DO NOT Overfill.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

That's odd , a sway bar would make the noise pretty much all the time over any bump, shouldnt make a difference hills or flat . The uphill part has me confused, the turning part makes me think of a CV joint or wheel bearing . Hope you find a dealer or mechanic that won't rip you off guessing and throwing parts at it .

Last edited by paleblue46; Aug 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Strange noise coming from the rear of my 2011 Outlander Sport